Red Sound Darkstar synth module

jcn37203

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Whats a fair price for a used one in good cond?

Please don't pay more than $80 for one . . . :rolleyes:

we sold one at GC for $40usd. for that price it would be worth it i can imagine . . . other than that, i'm not kindly disposed towards the units myself.

Play one first.

• Members

Well, by "experimentation" I really meant "playing with a cheap synth".

I'm actually a guitar player with a mild interest in the synth stuff. I have a couple of electribes and a MIDI controller. Just looking for something relatively inexpensive to add to the lot.

In a few months I'm planning to buy a Korg MS2000BR, so I was thinking one of these might keep me satisfied until then.

So, in short, I am not in need of a world-class unit. Its just for kicks and grins at this point.

• Members

hmm, i can imagine the darkstar might be a good compliment to the electribe series. maybe check out the roland SH32 too . . . that's a little above what you want to spend probably. they go for around 175.

the MS2000 is a pretty cool synth man, i've got one and i like it quite a bit. you'll enjoy it when you pick it up.

I don't know about the elavata thing, i've never played one . . . though i'd be interested to know some experiences myself.

the darkstar sounds completely unagressive to me, i wonder if it's bigger brother sounds like that?

• Members

The Darkstar is a fun little unit. But, I would suggest, if you can, pick up the XP2 as the interface is better (more intuitive) and it has a built in chorus which really makes the synth sound better.

But, if you do pick up the original Darkstar, you'll have to hook it up to an external fx processor to make it sound good.

Its a great budget synth and you can get some nice sounds out of it. It excels at making harsh, digital sounding textures than doing analogish type stuff (but, thats still doable)

I have one and I use it as much as possible in my tracks because it sounds unique and sits in rather nicely without needing much post-processing.

$80 for the original one is a good deal...the highest to pay for one would be $100. But, the XP2 for $100 would be even a better steal.

• Members

Any particular fx processors you'd suggest?

Originally posted by kn364

The Darkstar is a fun little unit. But, I would suggest, if you can, pick up the XP2 as the interface is better (more intuitive) and it has a built in chorus which really makes the synth sound better.

But, if you do pick up the original Darkstar, you'll have to hook it up to an external fx processor to make it sound good.

Its a great budget synth and you can get some nice sounds out of it. It excels at making harsh, digital sounding textures than doing analogish type stuff (but, thats still doable)

I have one and I use it as much as possible in my tracks because it sounds unique and sits in rather nicely without needing much post-processing.

$80 for the original one is a good deal...the highest to pay for one would be $100. But, the XP2 for $100 would be even a better steal.

• Members

Well I've messed with the Darkstar, and it's pretty cool, and for $40-60 bucks a good buy, but any more than that and I would tell you don't even bother, wait for the MS2000, and use that money to buy an effects rack. Some electribes with a midi controller, an MS2000 and a decent effects rack will give you a LOT of versatility.

Adding the Darkstar will just give you moe polyphony, but I don't think will add anything to your set up really, where as an effects rack will do a TON.

I would recommend an Alesis Microverb 4 (can be had for about $70 or so used) or an Alesis Quadraverb (about the same price). There are a TON of effects racks in this catagory and price range, so do some homework and check out some things here at HC and at Sonic State, you'll be sure to find someone good.

Also it might be worth while because something like an effects rack would be a good thing for your guitar setup as well.

• Members

Very helpful, thanks a bunch.

Please accept, as a token of my appreciation, the following hand full of Nigerian coins, four goats and a fork on a string.

nigerian_coins.jpg

goat.jpggoat.jpggoat.jpggoat.jpg

fork_on_string.jpg

Originally posted by hyperstationjr

Well I've messed with the Darkstar, and it's pretty cool, and for $40-60 bucks a good buy, but any more than that and I would tell you don't even bother, wait for the MS2000, and use that money to buy an effects rack. Some electribes with a midi controller, an MS2000 and a decent effects rack will give you a LOT of versatility.

Adding the Darkstar will just give you moe polyphony, but I don't think will add anything to your set up really, where as an effects rack will do a TON.

I would recommend an Alesis Microverb 4 (can be had for about $70 or so used) or an Alesis Quadraverb (about the same price). There are a TON of effects racks in this catagory and price range, so do some homework and check out some things here at HC and at Sonic State, you'll be sure to find someone good.

Also it might be worth while because something like an effects rack would be a good thing for your guitar setup as well.

• Members

The TC Electronics M300 is probably the best deal on the market right now for $199.

I dont own one, but I hear nothing but praise for it.

I use two behringer virtualizers (1024Pro and 2024Pro and theyre adequate for the Darkstar).

• Members

good call, for $90 bucks, as I said, you could get a damn good effects rack and really add a lot of variety to your current set up, more so than any lower-end desktop synth will get you.

At any rate, enjoy the MS2000, I know I do! (and utilize the audio ins, they ARE damn cool).

• Members

Originally posted by hyperstationjr

good call, for $90 bucks, as I said, you could get a damn good effects rack and really add a lot of variety to your current set up, more so than any lower-end desktop synth will get you.

At any rate, enjoy the MS2000, I know I do! (and utilize the audio ins, they ARE damn cool).

The MS2000 is just the MS2000BR with a keyboard attached, right? 'Cuz I'm planning on getting the BR model. Is there a big difference?

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

The MS2000 is just the MS2000BR with a keyboard attached, right? 'Cuz I'm planning on getting the BR model. Is there a big difference?

As far as I know the only differences between the B and non B series are the presets and the color.

The rack just omits the keyboard, and has a button to goggle the mod buttons into keys, as stated above.

Archived