Has anyone gigged with an A frame stand?

• Members

I have an A-frame stand at home but at gigs I usually use an X-style or an Ultimate. I remember in the 80's when A-Frames were the rage (especialy hard rock and metal bands) and I really don't see performers using them anymore. I assume the reasons are obvious, but I'd like to know... who used them and were they a bitch to transport and set up?

• Members

A snap to set up but my biggest problem was that I tended to get a little roudy when I played (hey, it was years ago) and I tended to snap the plastic pipe holders when I would come down heavy on the keyboard. It was a pretty easy fix since I rarely changed my setup - I just drove screws through the plastic into the aluminum and no more slippage. I would probably still use one in my studio but I haven't seen one that would take a 88-note board.

• Members

Here is a pic of mine at home. I'm sort of proud... I customized it. It was originally a two tier A-Frame I bought off ebay. As soon as I recieved it I hated the layout. I was going to try to sell it locally but found no buyers. So I asked my local shop if they had any parts laying around and they gave me the two pipes that make up the second tier. Then I bought the extended arm off Ebay. So it now holds 3 keys and a mizer. It's in a pretty tight space.

studioroom02.jpg

In no way is thing mobile! When I move, more than likely it will end up in the trash.

• Members

When I was in high school and had my first real keyboard rig (Roland JX-8P, Peavey KB-300 and Ultimate Support A-frame stand), I was setting up for a musical on a wooden stage. I had assembled my A-frame stand but apparently did not tighten down the knobs very well or forgot completely. The JX was sitting there, balanced ok. I plugged in the patch cord and sustain pedal and walked away to get something else. Next thing you know, everyone is hollering, "Catch the keyboard!" but it was too late. The crossbar on the stand had come loose and swiveled forward since the knobs were not tight. The JX fell about 4' onto its back where the cords were plugged into it. There was (and still is) a gigantic dent in the steel chassis where the patch and sustain plugs gouged up into it. This was a cosmetic problem but did not stop the JX from working fine. I still have it and it never needed repair!

I think those stands are ok for home, but given the risk of above and the overall fussing required to set these up, I would not want to deal with this hassle repeatedly on the gig. Remember that this previous experience was probably a sober moment, albeit an inexperienced moment. I can imagine that the risk would magnify after a drink or two.:D

Regards,

Eric

Archived