Watch where you sit

• Members

As my lesson the other day was finishing up, I lay my trumpet on my chair. I was going through my folder to arrange some music, and sat down...

on the horn.:mad:

Part of the bell is collapsed, the leadpipe is curved, and the rear bell curve is bent. Luckily the valve casing is a bit hardier, and all the valves and valve slides seem to be in working shape.

Still, I'm more than a little pissed at myself.

• Members

I've been fortunate with my horns. I picked up a Protec case with my Schilke Eb in it, but the case wasn't zipped closed. Fortunately, the horn didn't fall out before I caught my error.

I know someone who, while at Eastman, was about to carry his Malone conversion C trumpet (without the case) down a long flight of stairs. He tripped on the first step, the horn went flying, and smashed at the bottom of the stairs. Unfixable.

• Members

Well, the other guy I talked to told me the same thing as my instructor, that the dents around the braces would basically involve removal of the bell to fix. On top of that, the re-soldering would be over the plating, leaving some fairly ugly solder on it. And just the bell removal would run about $100.

At that point, I figured I'd be better off sending it back to Kanstul for repairs when I get the time. They could potentially do spot-finishing and have the equipment needed to repair this type of damage.

• Members

At that point, I figured I'd be better off sending it back to Kanstul for repairs when I get the time. They could potentially do spot-finishing and have the equipment needed to repair this type of damage.

You are not, are you?:eek:

• Members

You are not, are you?
:eek:

I don't know. I don't want to give Zig any more money, but I also am certain that Kanstul's factory could repair the damage. I've looked a bit into Osmun and Cambrass, but it looks like it would be a several hundred dollar job from the websites of those guys. So no matter who gets my money, I'm getting a walletectomy.:(

It'll probably be a while before I can send it off. I'll probably take some photos and send them to some of the outfits and get a better estimate of price.

:(

• Members

If you send it to Kanstul:

1. Be prepared for the repair work to be sloppy.

2. Be prepared to pay another $40 round trip for shipping to send it back to them for THEM to determine that work was or wasn't done right.

3. Be prepared to be pissed off and take your horn elsewhere.

If your results are better than this, you're ahead of me.

Have you tried Charlie Melk or Josh Landress? Indo had good luck with Josh. He seems like a quality repair guy. Works out of Sam Ash on 48th St in Manhattan.

Archived