How do I use midi?? Sorry for the stupid title

super_dark

• Members

Ok, I have a Korg Triton LE 88 -> midi in/out w/ USB interface -> Laptop -> free recording software w/ midi interface capability (CM Studio)

Ok, here is what I would like to be able to do...

Write synth, strings, pad, drum loops, bass lines and record them using my computer. I also line in my guitar and record that too...

I have 0 experience with Midi, but I am very eager to learn... Please help!!!!!!:confused:

• Members

Well, first you will need to connect your USB to a MIDI interface (do a search of this forum for more info on which interface works best for your needs). Then, connect your keyboard to the interface (keyboard out to interface in, interface out to keyboard in). Next, set your software to record MIDI data instead of audio (check the software manual or help screen for this). Set the keyboard up to recieve MIDI in multi-timbral mode (this allows it to recieve different MIDI tracks from your computer and understand which ones should be drums, bass etc). Experiment by recording a few tracks from the keyboard to the computer. When you play them back make sure they align with the sounds you had previously used when recording - remember, MIDI recording isn't actually recording any sounds, only the notes played, how loud they were played etc. You may need to tweak both the keyboard and/or software to make sure the recorded drum track plays back drum sounds etc.

Once you've got some tracks recorded and playing back correctly you will probably want to send the audio-out of your keyboard to the line-in of your computer and record the audio so that you don't need to use your keyboard every time you want to play the song for a friend. You will also need to do this when it's time to make a mix to CD since the MIDI tracks contain no actual sound.

• Members

You spent over several thousand dollars to get your keyboard and computer and whatever gear you have cobbled together..... now you want a full description that would take several hundred pages instead on a BBS???

Go over to amazon.com and GET A BOOK on midi and read it (just put MIDI in the search bar there.)

Seriously, MIDI is complex. You will want some manuals to keep around for the detailed questions. Go get some. Start a library, 'cause you'll need it down the road.

• Members

Originally posted by super_dark

Ok, I have a Korg Triton LE 88 -> midi in/out w/ USB interface -> Laptop -> free recording software w/ midi interface capability (CM Studio)

Ok, here is what I would like to be able to do...

Write synth, strings, pad, drum loops, bass lines and record them using my computer. I also line in my guitar and record that too...

None of that gear will do what you want. You should have read up on these things before you bought them.

Archived