Duran Duran geek out in Las Vegas

Deckard

• Members

I had the chance to see the original line up here Monday night and wow, I was surprised how fun they made the show and how great they sounded!

I wasn't fanatical about them, but I was definitely a fan of their's, especially when Arena came out. I think today I appreciate them even more. Not just their influence on electronic music and Nick's synth style, but Simon's lyrics are very creative and original...IMO!

The whole set sounded incredible and they played one of my personal fav's "The Chauffeur". Ah I remember pretending I was Simon Le Bon, singing my heart out to that tune. They also played an extended version of Girls On Film and their cover of Grandmaster Flash's White Lines...fantastic!

I did not expect them to seriously kick out the jams like they did. Simon hammed it up for the audience, cracking jokes, generally being silly, and seeming like he was having as much fun as possible, which made it all the more fun for us. One of the highlights had to be the biggest geek-out I've ever participated in, when everyone sang along to Save A Prayer. Some of you are probably sighing at the thought of this, but I tell you, I had a blast.

As for Nick's synth set up, this is what I saw: Alesis Andromeda, Roland V-Synth, Micro Korg (the vocoder was used at one point), and at least one other synth I didn't recognize. Also an Apple notebook computer, which I never saw him touch. The band also had one female backup vocalist and a live sax.

All the original line-up was back together, and besides Roger looking like he couldn't be bothered to smile, they all looked like they were enjoying playing together again.

I love going to a show and getting more than I expect!

• Members

Originally posted by Deckard

Ahhhhh...I am not alone! LOL.

''Union of The Snake'' was my favorite song in my high school years and I was trying to imitate the intro Fairlight sound with my Casio CT-610 arranger and when they regrouped as Arcadia, I was a big fan of ''Election Day'' piece and that huge Jupiter sound. Nick certainly has an original style and is one of the players who makes Rolands speak themselves :)

• Members

I saw them at the Rose Garden last week (they kicked ass and sounded fantastic) and I'm almost positive that his JP-8 was not on stage, but replaced by a second V-Synth. That's what I saw, anyway.

Did I mention they kicked ass?

Archived