1960 Gibson Les Paul Vos - looking for your thoughts or feedback

• Members

I checked the other forums and couldn't figure out any other place to post this one so please bear with me.

I made the mistake of stopping into GC today and yanked one of the new Gibson 1960 LP Standards off the wall and plugged it in to the usual amps (vintage and modern) - OMFG it was amazing! I'm not really fond of the color or the plain top but when you close your eyes and beat the hell out of it ~ it just has "it". I'm very close to pulling the trigger on it so now I'm searching for a reason not to buy it. So far it looks, feels and sounds amazing - so if you have one and have some time with it let me know you're thoughts and talk me out of it ASAP!

• Members

I never was a big fan of paying the bills and besides I get new ones every month - gas sure sucks both fuel and gear acquisition syndrome, and one thing I know for sure - divorces are expensive because they're worth it ~ : )

But serioulsy does anyone know why these things sound soooooooo good? I have 2 other Pauls and they rock and blues with the best of them but this one is probably one of the best sounding guitars that I have honestly ever played, and I've played 100's and 100's of guitars (and that's no B.S.)

• Members

I never was a big fan of paying the bills and besides I get new ones every month - gas sure sucks both fuel and gear acquisition syndrome, and one thing I know for sure - divorces are expensive because they're worth it ~ : )

But serioulsy does anyone know why these things sound soooooooo good? I have 2 other Pauls and they rock and blues with the best of them but this one is probably one of the best sounding guitars that I have honestly ever played, and I've played 100's and 100's of guitars (and that's no B.S.)

dont eavin talk to me about how expensive divorces are I lost 3 internet bussnesses a 2m house most of my cars and my stores in atlanta (NC-17 for you people in atlanta) and not to mention the taxes that still havnt been paid!

yea im in a 3m hole now but hey I got me 15 Guitars (5 Being SG's) so with them and my beer life is good!! oh yea + my 1 year old baby girl!! (not the Ex's)

• Members

I ended up buying one the other day, despite telling myself many times that I'd never buy a guitar at GC. I've been looking for a new Les Paul and hadn't found one yet (been searching for a month+). I had about a ~$3500 budget and tried many different models - Custom, Classic Custom (really like the looks), Standard, Classic, Classic Antique, Historic Reissues - the ones with the flamed top (although they were about $5k). So I went to GC because I hadn't had much luck finding one elsewhere. As luck would have it, the 1960 VOS was my favorite, it played/felt the best - great neck, great sound, good look - I personally love the plain top, but it look me a few minutes to appreciate it. I played the historic series equivalents and I just don't like the near perfect flame tops they have. They are beautiful, but not for me. I am always surprised at the disparity between new guitars of the same model. The first three Customs I played were complete crap, and the Standards were all over the map - granted the store setup doesn't help. Just make sure you play it in a quiet room through a nice amp. Bottom line, it sounds like you really liked it, so I would go for it (GC has a 30 day return policy). I'll send you pics of mine if you like :)

• Members

Send some pix to mpritchard@custompedalboard.com ~ they have 2 killer Vos at the Flint GC - One is a 59 and the other is the 60. I love the look of the 59 but the neck is so damn huge it's nearly unplayable (and I like big necks) where as the 60 feels like my 92 Custom. The downside to the 60 is it's a dark burst which is cool but just not my favorite.

• Members

Send some pix to
mpritchard@custompedalboard.com
~ they have 2 killer Vos at the Flint GC - One is a 59 and the other is the 60. I love the look of the 59 but the neck is so damn huge it's nearly unplayable (and I like big necks) where as the 60 feels like my 92 Custom. The downside to the 60 is it's a dark burst which is cool but just not my favorite.

i live right down the street from the flint gc i'll go check it out tomorrow...

:cool:

• Members

Dude mine is the best guitar I've ever played period. The pickups are a little noisey because they aren't potted, but it's amazing all around. It's pretty much what a les paul should be: a great playing and sounding workhorse. No bells and whistles. Mine even has a very subtle flame to it which comes out really well in the right lighting and angles, I think it's way cooler than straight up super flamed les pauls.

Gibson should really just be making all their guitars to this standard, but what can ya do.

• Members

Dude mine is the best guitar I've ever played period. The pickups are a little noisey because they aren't potted, but it's amazing all around. It's pretty much what a les paul should be: a great playing and sounding workhorse. No bells and whistles. Mine even has a very subtle flame to it which comes out really well in the right lighting and angles, I think it's way cooler than straight up super flamed les pauls.

Gibson should really just be making all their guitars to this standard, but what can ya do.

I looked for a few months and played probably 50 different Les Pauls - for me this one was the best. My fiance got this as her wedding gift to me - when she came to GC to buy it, she encouraged me to play the extreme AAA flame top VOS R8, R9, R0's. They are beautiful guitars, but some of the flamed tops are too much for me (I say some, not all, because I've seen some with a more subtle flame top, which I really like, but they are hard to come by).

Archived