Wharfedale LA-15P vs. Mackie SRM450 vs. JBL EON15 G2 vs. Motion Sound KP-200S

Palaver

• Members

Dear Forum,

I've just joined the forum, and this is my first post. I am learning a lot and I really enjoy the discussions. I would also like to thank the moderators for running such a great community. Now onto my post:

I've done countless searches on this forum about powered speakers and amps, but I am still confused. Due to my small locality, I cannot test the following models because the stores do not stock these speaker/amp models.

Firstly, I need to have stereo amplification. I will not settle for mono, simply because I am too anal. The only speakers that I can test locally are the Wharfedales. My ear prefers exaggerated highs and lows... and just a nice clarity. I cannot exactly trial the Wharfedales next to a pair of Mackies, etc. The only experience I've had with Mackie was with a set of Mackie studio monitors that were used in the recording of our demo (you can check that out @ www.palaver.ca for sound-clips). I don't know if you can really compare a set of studio monitors to the SMR450s.

I plan on using such a system for a Korg Triton Extreme. I really need some input from some of the expert audio enthusiasts here on this board. Some things to consider are the following: I have to compete with a half-stack Marshall JCM 800 guitar amp, and a half-stack David Eden World tour 800 bass amp. It can get pretty loud, and I really need to cut into the levels that the guys are pushing with their amps... with their amplification, they are capable of drowning me out and I am the drummer (and I hit fairly heavy on an acoustic set).

PLEASE, help me out! I am a complete newb in terms of keyboard amplification, and our band could really use a new P.A. I was wondering if anyone had the experience with these sound systems in this type of a powerful setting? I also wouldn't mind having the power to do my own sound for shows (if needed).

After reading the board, and doing some research, I came down to the following models in this preferred order:

1) Wharfedale LA-15P (http://www.wharfedalepro.com/frames/loudspeaker.la.html)

2) Mackie SRM450 (http://www.mackie.com/products/srm450/)

3) JBL EON15 G2 (http://www.jblpro.com/eong2/eon15g2.htm)

4) Motion Sound KP-200S (http://www.motion-sound.com/keypro_amps.htm)

I am hoping someone here can tilt me in a certain direction, and tell me what is required for my needs (or of my mistakes)? As of now, I am leaning in the direction of a mini mixer, and the powered speakers. The reason why I have the Wharfedale model placed on top is because it's the only model of which I have access to pre-test, and I can get a great deal off the guy who sells them. This "guy" is the owner of a local music store and "claims" that they are as good as an EV powered P.A. speaker, and that the Mackies are prone to error. Obviously, he could be biassed... And I have my doubts on the Motion Sound KP-200S 3D sound rig having enough power to satisfy my requirements.

Sorry about my incompetence, and I hope I didn't come off as a total dumbass. Feel free to add in any other models for me to consider.

Another one of my questions also involves e-bay:

If I were to win a bid on any of these models, would I be slammed with a customs fee along with the shipping cost? I am a Canadian resident, and I was curious on how it worked if I won an American auction and had to get it shipped to my region in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. What extra fees are there besides shipping, and the value of the winning bid for an international winner?

Do your part and help a P.A. and E-bay newb! Thanks for the long irritating read, and expect more! Thanks, again.

:D :D :D

Fellow keyboard/synth enthusiast,

Phil Butler (www.palaver.ca)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So I take it you guys run backline with guitar and bass stacks? Does your drum kit normally require amplification or is it done acoustic? What about vocals, are you running through a PA?

See I'm slightly confused on what exactly you need. You say you're band could use a new PA but you want keyboard amplification?

Any of those links you have there have the POWER to get over a drumset, as well as guitar and bass stacks that are level-set to the drums. So with that said, if you guys exercise volume control, anything there will work. If you're really talking pushing levels, it could get tough.

If it's going to be a PA investment, first of all, make sure you buy something that will still have a place as your rig grows. Buy some PA cabs that you will be able to use as monitors once you upgrade your FOH (front of house) speakers. With the gear you guys have, you don't need a full PA. Full PA requires a lot of power to get the bass and drums out there. You have the bass covered...and the guitar already has an amp...my band is in a similar situation so we only run acoustic guitars, vocals, and keys through the PA. So I recommend doing this...screw a full PA for now, you don't need it. Don't worry about subs or monitors or FOH, just backline everything you got and run the vox and keys through a couple cabs.

For that, the JBLs would work well. I'm not a huge Mackie fan (although their economy mixers are okay), but you could also consider Yamaha speakers. I've got a pair of Yamaha S15es that I absolutely love. Motionsound makes good keyboard amps, but having never used one I can't tell you anything their live sound volume in comparison to the rest of the band.

Hope this helps, I'd normally be better about this.

• Members

Hey Palaver,

You're in a tough spot. Keyboard monitors -- or any monitors, for that matter -- are fairly subjective. What sounds good to me might sound awful to you. So for the best results you need to hear the various choices for yourself. But I don't think you've got a "bad" choice in the bunch you listed.

I don't own the particular Wharfedale cabs you mentioned, but I do use a pair of Wharfedale 12" powered monitors for my keyboard rig. I've been very pleased with them. They don't have the deep bottom of 15" monitors, but they've got a lot more than a pair of 10" JBL EONs. I like the convenience of being able to tuck my onstage monitors under my rig, and I LOVE being able to monitor myself in stereo. I don't care if our FOH is being run in mono, I feel more inspired when I hear myself in stereo.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with any of the choices you mentioned. Except for the MS stuff, they all are 2-way systems with 15" woofers. If they were lined up side-by-side, you could probably nitpick them to death. But I have a hunch you'd be satisfied with any of them.

• Members

Thanks guys...

And yeah... I really just want to have some stuff in which I can compete with the guys that I am playing with.... I want to be able to jam with a drummer.. and have lots of headroom....

I'd still like to hear a response on the Motion Sound stuff... to see if you can blast out enough sound in order to hear yourself CLEARLY (without maxing out the system) while jamming with a drummer. I need enough power to pound out the leads if need be...

Basically... it's not a P.A. for us to do our own shows with. It would be a P.A. so we could hear the singer at jams, and to use as a stage monitor for the keys.

I absolutely hate the monitor we have now. It's a SoundTech P.A. with this garbage phonic speakers.

I'd love to demolish it...

• Members

Motionsounds are a very very good, perhaps too good for this particular application. It's a high end keyboard amp that even guys like me aspire to owning. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get a over a good drummer, anything in your list will. The Motionsound will as well...and you'll have headroom. If the drummer is too loud for a pair of 300 watt speakers you should fire him and tell him he needs to be taking lessons, not going to gigs.

Is the guitarist good about keeping his levels down too? If you want to run vocals through the keyboard amp, I wouldn't recommend a motionsound since they aren't really intended for that. Better to get something more "general" (like a light PA) that is louder and more versatile, then to get something really specific like a Motionsound amp that may sound slightly better, but will limit you more.

I'd avoid the Motionsound for now. A light PA is a great thing to have around the band studio for practice and all.

• Members

I have a pair of JBL EON15 G2's - they sound great.

However, they run 700 bucks a pop new (though I got 'em for $609 Dent & Scratch price - though I couldn't find 'em, the dents + scratches, that is). So they are NOT cheap.

I also own the Motion-Sound KP100S, which is nice and small & compact - perfect for solo things, cocktail piano, etc...

But Palaver, the Motion Sound KP200S is a big, bad mother of an amp & would run about 900 bucks new - definitely worth it if you want great sound, in stereo!

:cool:

Archived