Listening to some old Depeche Mode...

• Members

Originally posted by ExplodingBoy

I agree that production wise, Violator is the {censored}. That's probably the greatest electro-pop album to have come out that whole decade. In fact, I'm sure it is.

"Enjoy The Silence" and "Policy of Truth" are brilliant as is "World In My Eyes", "Halo", "Waiting For The Night To Fall".. God.. the whole album is a masterpeice.

a big +1.

stepping up the synth content, working with Flood and Kevorkian...some of those timbres are fantastic...and the b-sides were no slouches either!

it is certainly my fave DM album.

but fighting for the next two slots are Some Great Reward, Black Celebration, and Construction Time Again.

cheers,

aeon

• Members

Originally posted by ExplodingBoy

I agree that production wise, Violator is the {censored}. That's probably the greatest electro-pop album to have come out that whole decade. In fact, I'm sure it is.

"Enjoy The Silence" and "Policy of Truth" are brilliant as is "World In My Eyes", "Halo", "Waiting For The Night To Fall".. God.. the whole album is a masterpeice.

I agree totally. That beat on "World In My Eyes" is nasty! I also like the smoothness of Policy Of Truth.

• Members

Originally posted by tucktronix

That beat on "World In My Eyes" is nasty! I also like the smoothness of Policy Of Truth.

So agreed.

Those two songs are exemplary examples of awesome "beat-box" tone. But in addition to the patterns and timbres, it is the gating and reverb control during the mix that makes those grooves so badass!

cheers,

aeon

• Members

ive noticed, on the synthesizer side, Depeche Mode have used a huge selection in their time.

If you look on Vintagesynth.com, at the end of each review of the synths, it lists famous users of the product.

Depeche seem to be on most of them :eek: :eek:

They must have or had quite a collection!!!!

I always remember them using Oberheims and Emu Emaxs in particular.

BTW my fav songs were 'Get the balence right', 'Nothing', 'Enjoy the silence' and 'A question of time'

• Members

Big DP fan myself... for a long time I coul dnot listen to anything pre 95, but hearing "waiting for the night" turned me on to them instantly... definetly a fan of Violator, as well as Black Celebration, I like Ultra too, the songs arn't as strong, but I like the sound... and I kind of like the rough, messy sound of "Songs of Faith and Devotion" live...

• Members

I'll chime in as well. I'm a DM fan from back in the day. First time I ever heard them was when my brother came home from college with a Black Celebration cassette and we listened to it while going for a drive in his beat up Nova. I was still in high school, or was it junior high? I was hooked at first listen (I took his tape!)

They definitely turned me on to synths although I had been playing already for a little bit by then. I saw the Violator tour when they were in Toronto.

Violator, to me, was an odd listen at first (although Personal Jesus had been played for months and months on CFNY prior to the release of the album) because it sounded SO different from their earlier stuff, especially Black Celebration and Music for the Masses. I think they have a masterpiece trifecta in those three albums.

Truly a classic band when it's all said and done. I'd love to see their synth collection these days!

• Members

They are why I have synths, period.

I'd have to say that as well.

I'd say they are probably the most significant band from the 80's/early 90's. I can't think of anyone else that more or less defined a genre for a generation.

• Members

looks like im a little late to the DM club, so there's not much i can add.

It is funny though, i saw a history of their gear list and i think they had more machines on there than the Vintage Synth Museum has on their site!! :eek:

Maybe its proof that a lot of gear doesnt kill good music or creativity.

I have to admit that since i'm part of the local goth scene (on the music end anyways, i have no time for black mascara) i easily get burned out on some of their "obligatory" tracks.

Way back in the day, when all their big albums were current, i thought they were even to tame for my tastes. Love those sounds though!

• Members

Keep in mind that much of DM's "kitlist" includes stuff Daniel Miller and/or Gareth Jones had at the time, and both of those guys love their audio toys (and are golden, in my book).

cheers,

aeon

• Members

Dave Gahan's voice rules too.

I didn't think Exciter was THAT bad. Granted it can't hold a candle to the others, but it's not horrible.

I like a couple of the songs on Exciter alot actually.

In particular:

"Dream On" even though it almost uses the same riff from Personal Jesus verbatim.

"When The Body Speaks"

"Freelove"

"I Feel Loved"

and I really love "Goodnight Lovers"

I really like some of the synth work on that album as well.

• Members

has anyone heard the World in My Eyes remix by Daniel Miller on the Remixes album? its basically the same song, except i guess with some different instrument patches (the snare is different, along with that infamous 8-note riff, changed from a string pluck to a pulsewave lead)

even though it sounds alot like the original, it still gives the song a whole new feel. pretty cool, i think.

• Members

Wow this thread grew longer than I thought it would... It's not raining tonight, it's sunny and clear but cold...

Ultra is being piped through my speakers. I'm probably one of the few that really like that album. I still like "It's No Good" - it's got a great beat to it. I also like "The Love Thieves, Sister of Night, and Home."

• Members

DM is a major inspiration.

Violator and Black Celebration where fantastic albums.

But the best so far for me is ULTRA, wich include their best single ''It's no Good''

I'm really looking for their next CD (was pretty disapointed by Exciter)

And yes the last Doves album is incredible, very good and far from the brainless mainstream radio {censored}.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by tucktronix

I agree totally. That beat on "World In My Eyes" is nasty! I also like the smoothness of Policy Of Truth.

Hey tucktronix,

We have a common acquaintance,

Bill Bunny.

His brother-in-law Mike is really into our cover band, ROAR84.

We do have a couple of Depeche Mode covers in our set.

World in My Eyes is the first song my wife played for me in her car on our first meeting. (We had met at a bar and I walked her to her car, then she said listen to this - of course by that time I had already been a Mode fan for 17 years!)

We'd like to invite you to one of our shows.

We're playing at Evolution (Williamsville-Amherst, NY)

next friday May 20th.

Take care,

-Tobes

www.roar84.com

• Members

The ARP 2600 has most certainly been used on ALL DM albums.

Daniel Miller introduced DM to it and used it for Bass Drum among other duties.

I have a few 1982/83 DM style tracks up on Electromancer. Search for Waveterm and you

• Members

Personally speaking, to get a good feel for what DM is about I would suggest starting with two albums:

From their earlier (but not earliest) period: Black Celebration. This is the album that originally had "Stripped" on it and is my personal favorite DM album, period. Pretty dark (with a title like that? dark? Nah... :) ).

To get a feel for their newer (but not newest) stuff, give Violator a shot. Probably their most critically acclaimed record and was (in a lot of people's opinions) their best-produced album. More pop and mainstream than some of their earlier stuff in an overall sense, but definitely has some awesome texture to it.

Those two can get you started if you're curious, but you really can't get a true picture of DM unless you pretty much dive in and sample all of it (yeah, even Ultra and Exciter their newest albums without Alan Wilder). DM has always been about evolution and change and I would have to rate them as my personal all-time favorite group. Stripped is also my favorite DM track, BTW, so you're off to a great start IMHO ;)

Thanks!

bax

Archived