Ion vs. Micron

• Members

I'm getting a V.A. (i have a XL-7 with the pure phatt rom and a laptop (amd2800+ with 512 megs of ram) running reason 3 and FL studio 5)and after listening to demo's i 'm getting some form of Ion. but whcih one? I liked the demo's for the ion better than the one for the micron, but some of the features of the micron (such as a reverb and the drum machine like features)seem to be interesting, does the micron have the same engine as the Ion so that they can cover the same sounds (some on irish acts said that they are not). Also how bad is the interface on the micron and does the interface on the Ion outway both the cost difference and the new features on the micron? so without the price difference mattering (i have enough money for either of them but not both) which one should i get

• Members

Get an Ion....the micron is more or less the same engine as the Ion except that it has reverb, drums, and a simple sequencer.

Assuming that this is your first synth, the interface on the Ion will do you worlds of good.

• Members

Note: I own an Ion, but have used the Micron.

The only difference between the two engine-wise is the extra DSP in the Micron to drive the extra reverb/effect unit. The verb on it is pretty good, but other than that the sound is identical, regardless of what anyone may tell you.

Personally, for me, the army of knobs are well worth the lack of the verb chip. In my situation it is no problem to add external effects, I have lots of software and a little hardware that do a much better job than an onboard ever could. So in my case it really just came down to the interface, which the Ion is most definitely the winner in. The Micron has a very usable interface for such a complex system, but knobs obviously make things much less painful.

I can't tell you which works best for you though. If you're going to be doing heavy stage work with it the extra onboard effects might save you alot of trouble if you use them instead of dragging another box along, but other than that there's really no reason to go for the Micron sound-wise.

I hope this helps? :)

• Members

Originally posted by Atari Tech

does the micron have the same engine as the Ion so that they can cover the same sounds (some on irish acts said that they are not).

I wouldn't put too much faith in what people from irish acts have to say. They aren't the most honest bunch on the 'net. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Chris100

I wouldn't put too much faith in what people from irish acts have to say. They aren't the most honest bunch on the 'net.
;)

I'm surprised they didnt twist his arm into getting an Oasys! :eek:

• Members

Personally, for me, the army of knobs are well worth the lack of the verb chip.

That, and a larger keyboard (on the ION) is a plus. I've spent some time with the ION and was really impressed. I saw a Micron at Sam Ash last week, and it seemed more like a toy.

• Members

if you are an experienced programmer and know what you want to do with it, you can come to grips with the micron pretty quickly.

the ion is still quicker to program, tho - the micron needs an editor.

i had an ion for a short while, and have a micron now.

i got the micron mainly for its small size - very easy to move around the house and use as a couch/lap synth.

i haven't used the extra bells and whistles of the micron too much, and there's absolutely no doubt that the extra knobs and the graphic display of the ion are very cool.

all the parameters of the basic synth engine are the same and patches are interchangeable.

• Members

Let me give you the standard "technician" answer.....That depends. Either synth will be a better option, depending upon how you're going to use it. Examples:

ION:

If you want a synthesizer with the "standard" front panel control that has traditionally come with real analog. (The ION has a BETTER user interface because of the larger screen, it also has some addtional controls that a lot of RA's didn't have),

Four Octave KB. That's better, if you split the KB, 3 octaves on the Micron is really not enough. Obviously, you cover a broader dynamic range with 4 oataves than with 3.

Larger sceen size. You can see a graphic like the ADSR slope on the ION that gives you an instant graphic of what you have. That saves a lot of time.

Tweaking on the fly-Ion fills the bill for changing parameters while you're playing live.

Micron:

Smaller in size and can be placed on top of larger KB's without a stand in many situations.

Same engine as the ION, lower price.

Double the patch storage space as the ION.

On board FX, step sequencer.

The only negative thing about the Micron that I heard is some players have broken off the main control knob. Its on a plastic shaft, sticks out a little too much, and apparently is easy to break off. I don't know if Alesis has made any changes to correct this.

If you tend to program your sounds at home, just press a button to play live, and don't really intend to twist knobs on the fly, the Micron will fill the bill. Being that you can sit it on top of another board (sometimes without an additional stand), you could set up the Micron for say....a string patch and just reach up on play strings while you continue to chomp piano/rhodes chords on your left hand on your main KB. Then you can jump back down to your "main" instrument without pushing a button. Easy.

I own an ION, I bought it before the Micron came out. Never any trouble with it. I bought it after Alesis resolved the issues with the bad encoders and "ghosting" of some of the early production models. I wouldn't swap it for the Micron because the cost difference is insignificant, I'm accustomed to a full front panel synth similar to what's on my vintage boards...so I don't have to learn yet another user interface. I have separate effects and really don't care that the Micron has them. Sure its a bonus, but I don't use reverb very much anyway.

I guess that's the best short comparison I can do, without really rending an opinion. :) Buy which model you like for how you're going to use it. Either model will do well, the ION/Micron sound great.

Mike T.

• Members

I think i'll go with the ion, as i don;t really need the reverb, and while i'm used to a menu interface due to the command station, the interface is definetly better on the Ion and more conductive to controlling sounds in real time . semi OT, but what's a good price for a used Ion ?

• Members

I bought the Micron a few months ago, it sounds great but the lack of knobs does suck (especially for a beginner). The Ion is a definite better choice. Im taking it back tommorow and ordering a NordLead2x, which I think I shoulda got in the first place. good luck,

• Members

Originally posted by SushiFugu

the army of knobs are well worth the lack of the verb chip...it is no problem to add external effects...

Exactly. That plus the excellent graphic LCD puts the Ion clearly ahead. But you didn't mention if you had a keyboard yet in your setup. If you don't, perhaps the Micron would be a cost-effective and portable way to go. :)

Archived