alesis QS 6.2?

• Members

What do you guys think of this? I have a line on a pretty good deal on one. I have a micron now, but i need some "real" instruments too. I can't get a good organ sound out of the micron - not that it was made for that. Also, what about the QS vs the new Juno D? Thanks...

BTW, I'm a guitarist who's doing a lot more with keys, but I can't spend a ton...

• Members

AFAIK the QS6.2 uses the same engine as the 6.1, the only difference is the chassis. The 6.1 is pretty dated by todays standards, and even though I haven't tried the Juno-D, I'd be willing to bet it is a better board. But its all personal preference, so its best to try them both out first.

• Members

Actually theres 2 sig difs between 6.1 & 6.2. Only one qcard slot on 6.2, was two for the 6.1. But much more it that the output stage of the 6.2 is diff. Resulting inn smoother sound & no more ac hum thru the out cable lines. I;'ve owned both. And the 6.2 owner manual mentions the change to output stage.

The Alesis QS 6.2 is my fave performance rompler. The split & layer ability for programs & performances is vaster then any ther synth I know of. Also a most excellent controller synth via its vast midi ability. Sound wise, has lots of great organs stock that you can mod, mix, layer, & split to your hearts content. Same with the other voice types. Excellent as a bread & butter synth. And imo also very well suited to new age & rompler style electronica. Likes the Eurodance qcard as fave add on qcard. A $100 each the qcards are very low cost for sound xpansion. At $600 for reg street price new. Is lotta synth for the money too imo.

• Members

Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna pick it up. He's giving me his vintage keyboard card as well. I've really been beating myself up over this lately. Between the QS, the micron, the juno and the idea of going soft synth. I was messing around with the NI B4 and really loved it, but the ramp up costs in terms of laptop and software is pretty steep.

• Members

When you say organ sound - do you mean pipe organ?

You'll have a hard time getting a good one out of a QS without the Sanctuary Q-Card. With the Q-Card and a bit of programming you can get some truly massive pipe organs, and a limited amount of softer pipes.

The QS line really has seen better days though - I hope you are getting a good price.

Archived