Cheapest Piano possible?

Ezeh

• Members

i would like the following...

- an organ, with 4+ octaves, big keys, with sensibility - weight not needed.

- relatively realistic piano sounds

- some other cool semi-realistic sounds would be cool (rhodes, b3, you know...)

- CHEAP. not more than 300.

- not something very obscure, like "oh i remember in the 80s they made 500 copies of xxx that you can buy in ebay..." i live in Uruguay, i can go to argentina but i can find mostly normal, new or used stuff.

yeah, difficult, uh?

basically, i

• Members

Originally posted by Ezeh

i would like the following...

- an organ, with 4+ octaves, big keys, with sensibility - weight not needed.

- relatively realistic piano sounds

- some other cool semi-realistic sounds would be cool (rhodes, b3, you know...)

- CHEAP. not more than 300.

- not something very obscure, like "oh i remember in the 80s they made 500 copies of xxx that you can buy in ebay..." i live in Uruguay, i can go to argentina but i can find mostly normal, new or used stuff.

yeah, difficult, uh?

basically, i

• Members

Originally posted by Bloodcookie

Fair enough
:)

How about up to $500?

Cheapest decent digital piano is probably going to be the Yamaha P60 - here's one open box sale for 650 bucks:

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/YAMAHA_P60_DIGITAL_PIANO_W_SPK_OPEN_BOX.html

...and even the P60 does NOT have all the other sounds you're looking for, or at least they are not of stellar quality.

Plus the P60 only has 32 notes of polyphony - which gets eaten up real quick if you use the sustain pedal a lot.

Actually, I reread your post and noticed that you say "weight[ed keys] not needed." So maybe you should instead check out this - Kurzweil KME61:

http://www.music123.com/Kurzweil-KME61-Micro-Ensemble-Synthesizer-i107142.music?source=froogle

It has great pianos, decent organs and a whole lot of other sounds as well. Only 61 keys (5 octaves) though - unweighted - which would be unsatisfactory for many of us with a piano-playing background, but if it fits your bill then by all means! :D

600 bucks new.

:p

• Members

Originally posted by angstwulf

Used Kurzweil ME-1/KMP-1 or Alesis Micropiano

61 Key USB/MIDI keyboard - M-Audio, Edirol and I believe Korg have these - shop for the best price

Look hard enough you can get this for around $300

clever answer!

mm... but the reviews for those are actually pretty bad... but i need a controller anyways.

• Members

Used Kurzweil ME-1/KMP-1 or Alesis Micropiano

61 Key USB/MIDI keyboard - M-Audio, Edirol and I believe Korg have these - shop for the best price

Look hard enough you can get this for around $300

Alesis doesn't make the MicroPiano - Kurzweil does. The MicroPiano is the KMP1.

Alesis makes the NanoPiano. And it sucks.

Stick with the MicroPiano :D

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Alesis doesn't make the MicroPiano - Kurzweil does. The MicroPiano is the KMP1.

Alesis makes the NanoPiano. And it sucks.

Stick with the MicroPiano
:D

My bad. And I actually own a MicroPiano. D'oh!

Ezeh:

I know the KMP has limitations (old technology, some patches ain't so useful) but it has good piano and some of the electric sounds are actually okay. So I'm assuming the ME-1 is similarly useable.

Point I was trying to make was: For $300 perhaps you may not be able to get what you want out of the box but with a little Yankee Ingenuity (or British Pluck, or whatevers, I dunno where you live) you can most definitely put together something that will suit your needs.

Eg. I recently saw a used KMP at Guitarbucks in Pasadena for about $80.00 and a used Keystation 61 for $30.00 (which I snatched right away). Throw in a pawnshop prize keyboard/PA amp or a cheapie bass amp and you have something workable friendly jam sessions for under $200 with room to expand. The USB/MIDI keyboard can be used to drive a softsynth as well and you'll probably be able to sell the other stuff for what you paid when you want to get crazy about something expensive.

Laters,

Tommy

• Members

My bad. And I actually own a MicroPiano. D'oh!

Ezeh:

I know the KMP has limitations (old technology, some patches ain't so useful) but it has good piano and some of the electric sounds are actually okay. So I'm assuming the ME-1 is similarly useable.

Point I was trying to make was: For $300 perhaps you may not be able to get what you want out of the box but with a little Yankee Ingenuity (or British Pluck, or whatevers, I dunno where you live) you can most definitely put together something that will suit your needs.

Eg. I recently saw a used KMP at Guitarbucks in Pasadena for about $80.00 and a used Keystation 61 for $30.00 (which I snatched right away). Throw in a pawnshop prize keyboard/PA amp or a cheapie bass amp and you have something workable friendly jam sessions for under $200 with room to expand. The USB/MIDI keyboard can be used to drive a softsynth as well and you'll probably be able to sell the other stuff for what you paid when you want to get crazy about something expensive.

Laters,

Tommy

that

• Members

Yamaha P-60

Casio PX-100

Both of the above offer very good Acoustic Piano samples, and weighted actions.

Kurzweil KME61

Kurzweil MicroPiano Module

Both offer great Acoustic Pianos and are very easy to transport. The MicroPiano will need a controller keyboard, as it doesn't have it's own.

Chris

Archived