FS: 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Serial # 78527XXX) - $1900 Shipped

rlm297

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fret Condition? Maple or Mahogany Neck? I see that the neck is 3 piece what about the body? Pancake?, LP weight? I know its alot of questions but its a major purchase...

Frets are in very good condition considering it's over 30 years old, a lot of life left. I'm a very discerning player, but it plays smooth and I had no gripes with that. The neck is thin, the inlays look great. I'd consider this particular guitar to be a much better play than the iced tea Gibson Les Paul Standard '58 VOS I had before this one to give an idea of the quality/playability. This sounded better too. It's just more "real" IMO.

In respect to the neck and body materials. I have no idea what they are, but I'd imagine it is what they made stock 1977 Gibson Les Paul Customs out of -- since it was originally a factory two-pickup LP Custom.

Someone told me that this was a Norlin era LP, so I think you might be right about it having a pancake body.

It weighs between 10 to 11 lbs. Dunlop StrapLok buttons have been professionally installed for this reason, but the guitar's original strap buttons are included inside the case compartment.

I hope this helps!

• Members

Duh, what's meant by the pancake body? OK after posting I found my own answer but also this source:
"Then, in '77 they stopped making pancakes and over the next few years many features returned to the '50s specs."

I had a 79 custom years ago and do still have a 79 ES335. It was a standard practice to have three piece necks in those years as well as nice medium jumbo frets. The necks are kind of thin sort of like the 60 slim taper but maybe even more so.

I would so love to add this to the collection but someone has to buy my amp first.

Archived