First keyboard/synth - advice?

• Members

Hello,

I'm not looking for something too expensive (something on the used market).

I want it for pure noise, and mysterious sounds ala Twin Peaks, if you know what I mean. I really dig the keyboarding on SWANS 'soundtracks for the blind', and John Paul Jones on 'Houses of the holy' (No quarter), and 'leaves turn inside' by Unwound - I like alot, so I want it to be versatile too...

I've been thinking of geting a YAMAHA DX-7 - it's in my price range, and from what I've heard at synthmania.com, it has some really cool sounds! (especially the "muted brass" sample and the "Happy '60s electric organ sound").

Or maby Roland D-series?

I have no clue though if these synths really are what I'm looking for, that's why I wanted to ask here first.

I've been playing guitar for 9 years and concider myself a serious musician/composer, so I want something I could enjoy for a pretty long time - something good.

Thanks in advance,

Christoffer

• Members

for weird,strange and darn right frightening sounds, consider the Korg Wavestation EX version. (not standard version) This also has the brass/organ/piano sounds that you may want.

The DX and D series are not really the 1st boards that come to mind as weird sounding, although with a little patience, the DX can generate some disturbing noises.

If you want hands on weirdness :confused: the Oberheim OB-12 is a superb board for realtime parameter changing, but of course it doesnt have the bread and butter sounds, obviously.

:)

• Members

The JD does have bread and butter sounds, like piano, brass etc, but they arnt that great. It really excels at strings, pads, and fx.

It has percussion sounds, but not true drum kits.

Im very pleased with mine, but it wouldnt be my choice for a lone synth.

It moght be worth picking up a small sound module as well, something like a Korg o5r/w or Roland JV1010. They would cover the normal sounds well, leaving the JD for atmos/fx stuff.

Good luck with your choice :)

• Members

Thanks. Which has the best bread and butter sounds of the DX7 and JD800?

The DX7 is the second best sounding IMO (although, some sounds are really cheesy!), and the JD costs twice as much...

Is the JD800 worth the extra dough?

Does anyone know of more mp3's of the JD800 than the ones at bluesynths.com?

Thanks,

Christoffer

• Members

Well, for noise, experiments of the electronic kind, as well as odd sound processing... I'd ALWAYS recommend a Nord Modular. There are a lot of different things you can create, for randomized noise, to sound loops, self-playing sounds, drum beats, basses, full on FM (like the DX you mentioned), and all sorts of other things. You can also process external sounds (like your guitar) to get really weird and wild effects. I've made all sorts of flanger and phaser effects for guitar, as well as distortions, vocoders, etc etc...

Thing is, it's mainly software based (that is, he bulk of patch making is done on-screen, and then you have a hardware unit with knobs, that you can freely assign to any parameters for editing, as well as patch storage). But if that's fine with you (trust me, it doesn't feel like software at all) then I'd say it's your best bet.

If you can afford it, the Nord G2 (even the engine) would be great, because it also has effects the first Nord Modular didn't have, such as long delays, actual flangers, pitch shifters, Midi out (to control external gear), and all sorts of other stuff.

You are limited however, by DSP power. The more complicated the patch, the more memory it takes, the less polyphony you have. You can have up to 4 different patches (you can do splits too), so that may not do it for you as your one and ONLY synth if you want pianos, strings and the rest of the orchestra there, but, still damn good.

If you do need a full on solution for writing songs, perhaps a Kurzweil K Series would do it. They have very good realistic sounds (pianos, strings, basses) as well as "vintage" sounds, similar to the ones on a Wavestation, D50, or DX7. While it's not exact, it's a similar sort of sound, and very DEEP synthesis. Also, it can sample (or hold samples) which you can then process through the synthesizer engine. That makes for some crazy noise as well. Drums are a little weak, but everything else is great. Also has an onboard sequencer. They aren't TOO cheap ($300-350 for a K2000r Rack, but damn is it good), but they are very powerful.

• Members

Roland XP-30. "No Quarter" wasn't done with a synth, just lots of effects, and the Roland effects processor is great. So you're set there...it's got all sorts of weird effects...modulation flangers and all sorts of stuff that will really mess with the sound. The base samples (tones) are great as well...so you're automatically starting with good sounds and running them through good effects, unlike other boards I've tried where the original samples are so uninspiring they kill the feel. The JV series Rolands are highly regarded and share the same samples as the XPs. If you get the Sounds of the 60s&70s expansion card you'll have something like 1400 sounds from orchestras to synths and organs and all kinds of weird stuff you hear in classic rock. Mellotrons (a weird instrument Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones loved) are in there as well. Hell, it even has a sample called "33 rpm" and it's just vinyl static :D

It's also going to offer you more powerful filters and other features, so you won't outgrow the board quickly. It's pretty intuitive early on, although learning to dig through the depths of all the menus takes time. I got an XP-30 two years ago for $999.99 as my second keyboard ever and I've had it as my main board ever since. Perfect for gigging. It's a pretty powerful synth.

There was actually another thread with discussion of the XP-30 in it, I'll go find it and post the link in here for you...

• Members

Hmmm...there sure is many choices, and they all seem good!

I think that I'll just get the DX7 - It's the cheapest one, and I really dig the sounds of it. Plus, I already have the manual!

I'll use a distortion and wah pedal as my feedback/noise-source.

Thanks all for your help! I've learned alot from this thread! :)

/Christoffer

Archived