O/t: Pol: Working poor suffer under Bush tax cuts

GregCh

• Members

http://www.detnews.com/2004/specialreport/0409/26/a01-284666.htm

Cash crunch: loss of services outweighs tax gains for millions.

By Melvin Claxton, and Ronald J. Hansen / The Detroit News

To help pay for federal tax cuts, many programs that served the working poor were reduced or eliminated as the deficit grew. This report shows that the amount of money millions of Americans now pay to cover such expenses as child care, housing and college education is greater than the amount they saved through the tax cuts.

TODAY: Hundreds of thousands of people across the nation who qualify for assistance are on waiting lists or get turned away when they apply for help with child care, meals and utility bills.

MONDAY: A housing program that replaces dilapidated buildings has been cut, rent subsidies frozen and a public housing crime prevention program eliminated, leaving thousands of poor living in squalor, unsafe conditions or homeless.

TUESDAY: Even as the country lost jobs during the past two years, $600 million was cut from job-training programs designed to provide skills for the unskilled or unemployed. Federal financial aid grants have been frozen even as tuition has spiked at U.S. colleges.

DETROIT

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

myt. I don't hate Bush. In fact he might be a nice guy.

I disagree with his policies. And he is incompetent to perform his duties as an American President. That is my opinion.

Do not be confused. Do not misunderstand.

That is not hate.

• Members

Bush is a figurehead. That may be why nobody's shot him yet. Pop him enough and another will pop up in his place, doing the will of the rich ones.

I still think he's a jerk.

And as to how much these fellows are wrecking life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for the poor; I'm hoping it's a case of "give them enough rope & they'll hang themselves". And you don't have to give these guys the rope: they do all they can to take it as fast as possible!

After all, what usually happens when you oppress a huge segment of the population. Things get very unstable...

• Members

Originally posted by GregCh

myt. I don't hate Bush. In fact he might be a nice guy.

I disagree with his policies. And he is incompetent to perform his duties as an American President. That is my opinion.

Do not be confused. Do not misunderstand.

That is not hate.

Very clever attempt at finding new ways to piss off KSS. I just woke up, and my glass of powerade hasn't kicked in yet, nor have I had a cigerette yet, so please please forgive me if I'm not as tactful and eloquent as normal when I say...

...you're not smarter than all of us, sorry there guy. You're a troll and the Oasys thing was shot down, so now what are you doing? You're trying to get big heated political debates going. Problem is, we're mostly friendly here...we like KSS and we like each other and it's not as easy to get us all pissed. Sorry nobody is friendly with you, or enjoys your company, but...that's kinda just what happens when you're a douche bag.

And, even if you're going to claim to not be a troll, I don't see you answering questions to new guys or going around having any POSITIVE CONSTRUCTIVE contribution to the forum. That's really all we care about. Christ look at me, I'm an asshat. I rarely stay on topic, it's a fifty-fifty shot every day on whether I'll be coherent or not, and I know a lot of people are getting sick of Goddy. But why don't you see people screaming troll at me? A) I've been here almost four years. B) I've made positive constructive contributions, and continue to. I've answered weird, obscure electronic organ questions, made all sorts of informed recommendations, discussed issues regarding music here and in the Electric Guitar Forum, Recording Forum, Live Sound & Production Forum, and even the Effects Forum years back. They know I mean business and that I do what I can to be a contributing member.

My point: If you're being a troll, it's just not going to work because unless you're ubermench over there with some massively powerful Aryan brain, you're dealing with like 200 people and you are only one. The chances of you being smarter than all 200 people, enough so that you can troll us effectively without us recognizing it, is very slim. If you're just a good guy who got off to a bad start, try to take my advice. Don't be controversial for a while. Just be helpful, answer questions as best you can in a very objective way. Until people have an idea that you know your {censored}, chances are they're going to take what you say with several grains of salt. So just be a newbie for a week or two, jesus that's all we ask.

And btw, it's piss poor etiquette to march into other people's forums and start posting off topic when you haven't really done anything on topic. Do your time! :mad:

(disclaimer: I am not angry, just bitchy. There's a difference)

• Members

Originally posted by Fear My Potato

(stuff about GregCh)

Maybe you can click on his profile and search for every post he made - in ascending order... this pretty much knocks the whole only there to troll for the OASYS or any stuff about "now he's trying to cover up about political stuff" out of the water.

You're trying to get big heated political debates going. Problem is, we're mostly friendly here...

Problem is that there's no elections at the moment so nobody really cares ;).

• Members

I work 46 hours a week and go to college 3/4 time. I get Pell grants. They run out pretty quick when you're the only person in your family with a job... I'm broke until next payday and almost out of food. yeah, I'm pissed at the government's domestic policy...

..but whatever, this is a keyboard forum. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

Maybe you can click on his profile and search for every post he made - in ascending order... this pretty much knocks the whole only there to troll for the OASYS or any stuff about "now he's trying to cover up about political stuff" out of the water.

:D :D :D

• Members

What I meant was that this would point out that GregCh posts more here than the prOasys/OT Pol stuff, because in 2004 or whenever he started they just started the "apt-get install elev8rmusic" and "apt-get install longhair" procedures at Korg* :D.

*Linux joke. OASYS's based on it, right?

• Members

I must've missed it because when I ran a search on his name, all I got was crap, and when I looked in his info it didn't make him look that much more legit either.

I don't exactly know how to search for his older stuff I guess :confused:

Not that it's my job at all to determine if someone is legit...I guess we're just examining the validity of my statements :D

• Members

Originally posted by Fear My Potato

Very clever attempt at finding new ways to piss off KSS. I just woke up, and my glass of powerade hasn't kicked in yet, nor have I had a cigerette yet, so please
please
forgive me if I'm not as tactful and eloquent as normal when I say...

...you're not smarter than all of us, sorry there guy. You're a troll and the Oasys thing was shot down, so now what are you doing? You're trying to get big heated political debates going. Problem is, we're mostly friendly here...we like KSS and we like each other and it's not as easy to get us all pissed. Sorry nobody is friendly with you, or enjoys your company, but...that's kinda just what happens when you're a douche bag.

And, even if you're going to claim to not be a troll, I don't see you answering questions to new guys or going around having any POSITIVE CONSTRUCTIVE contribution to the forum. That's really all we care about. Christ look at me, I'm an asshat. I rarely stay on topic, it's a fifty-fifty shot every day on whether I'll be coherent or not, and I know a lot of people are getting sick of Goddy. But why don't you see people screaming troll at me? A) I've been here almost four years. B) I've made positive constructive contributions, and continue to. I've answered weird, obscure electronic organ questions, made all sorts of informed recommendations, discussed issues regarding music here and in the Electric Guitar Forum, Recording Forum, Live Sound & Production Forum, and even the Effects Forum years back. They know I mean business and that I do what I can to be a contributing member.

My point: If you're being a troll, it's just not going to work because unless you're ubermench over there with some massively powerful Aryan brain, you're dealing with like 200 people and you are only one. The chances of you being smarter than all 200 people, enough so that you can troll us effectively without us recognizing it, is very slim. If you're just a good guy who got off to a bad start, try to take my advice. Don't be controversial for a while. Just be helpful, answer questions as best you can in a very objective way. Until people have an idea that you know your {censored}, chances are they're going to take what you say with several grains of salt. So just be a newbie for a week or two, jesus that's all we ask.

And btw, it's piss poor etiquette to march into other people's forums and start posting off topic when you haven't really done anything on topic. Do your time!
:mad:

(disclaimer: I am not angry, just bitchy. There's a difference)

Worth reprinting in full. :)

• Members

Quote by Fear My Potato:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Very clever attempt at finding new ways to piss off KSS. I just woke up, and my glass of powerade hasn't kicked in yet, nor have I had a cigerette yet, so please please forgive me if I'm not as tactful and eloquent as normal when I say...

------------------------------------------------------------------

I won't copy the rest of the post......

WOW Fear My Potato, did someone take a dump in your cornflakes this morning? Damn. Even though GregCh and me never met, I've conversed with him for over a year on a number of forums, and he's NO TROLL. In fact, he's a very reasonable guy. He did mark his Thread OT, so if anyone isn't interested in talking about politics, ignore the thread. There are a lot of intelligent people here. I would HOPE that we're open minded enough to be able to talk about things other than music?? Sure, its the reason the forum exists, and maybe that kind of Thread should be on Open Jam, but I think we can lighten up a little.

Mike T.

• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

Can someone just ban this boob.

Why? I don't see a real huge problem here, at least not to that extent. Granted, if I wanted to read up on politics in this country, KSS is easily one of the last places I'd come, I don't take my car in for a tune-up at the... not car place. If he's trying to rile people up, ya know... ummm... well that doesn't really say a lot about the forum, when a political post is enough to make everyone lose they're {censored}. Maybe we should take a long disturbing look in the mirror before we go attacking people with our brains.

Also, if I can waste a little more of everyones time, I'm not really convinced at this point theres disgruntled double and triple agents trying to sabatoge the forum, and if there are, well, thats actually kind of hilarious, it's just so incredibly assenine.

Then again, political threads and KSS IS one of the worst team-ups when I think about it. It never really ends up around the issue itself for the most part, it just ends up in a disscussion about political threads in general, christ like auruas, lewd invitations, and the enigmatic, somewhat un-nerving, somehow disturbing (yet highly erotic) and always in your face "keep it up guys" posted every now and then.

Yeah, I guess nothing really comes from it and it just ends up a train wreck. Unless you have some revolutinary insight it's probably pretty pointless. I suggest you do what reasonable people do when they're concerned about the big bad government and start a manifesto.

• Members

Mike and Sev, thanks for being reasonable

This current topic was actually a response

to someone on a previous thread topic.

I occaisionally throw politics in here. Yes, I had a surge of 3 or 4 topics but it has run its course.

If Yoozer tells me to never post an occaisional o/t Political Topic, I will respect his wishes. I think that's reasonable.

Having political issues influence musical expression, directly or unconsciously, is natural for me. I grew up during Viet Nam and it made a large impression on me.

If I pissed you off , somehow, I can't imagine how you cope with real life. I never expect everyone to agree with mostly everything I say or do. These squabbles are no big deal in the scheme of things. Maybe you or I learn a little in the process.

• Members

Originally posted by GregCh

If Yoozer tells me to never post an occaisional o/t Political Topic, I will respect his wishes. I think that's reasonable.

Except for the fact that it's not my decision to do so. You can start any thread you like, the rest of the forum will tell you (or not) whether they like it (or not).

However, the ratios are such that the Idontgivea{censored}ists outweigh the Dems by far in this case, who already had a very good headstart compared to the 4 or 5 Disciples of GOP (that even bothered to open their mouths about the issue). So, preaching to the choir etc, you get my point.

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

However, the ratios are such that the Idontgivea{censored}ists outweigh the Dems by far in this case, who already had a very good headstart compared to the 4 or 5 Disciples of GOP.

:)

Archived