G2 only - some experiments...

Unfed

• Members

a month or two i got the idea to sell off my MPC and do everything with just the Nord G2 (and possibly a rack sampler at some point). i haven't made too much progress as i've been busy doing other things, but i did manage to fill up a CD-R of some stuff i've come up with from just my first patch.

i started out with some simple sequencers running some percussion modules along with a string osc and a regular osc for some bass-type sounds. i recorded an example or two of playing around with this patch then started to build on it...

this is the type of stuff that i wanted a Machinedrum for, but ended up finding out there was much, much more possibility in sound and pattern creation (minus the classic drum samples and the nice layout). i don't think i want an MD anymore...

for now i've just put up the last two that i recorded a couple weeks ago (haven't gotten back to it since). these were done with *only* the G2, including delays and reverb (a bit too heavy). i'm also thinking of getting rid of my Echo Pro (will do) and TC m300 (not so sure yet) because i think it'd be more interesting to work with those fx internally where they can be routed and applied as necessary. still need some work there though. they're not the most exciting examples, but i've just begun to play around. basically just a slow and fast version, recorded in realtime while tweaking all sorts of parameters, etc. they start out pretty weak, but build a bit from there.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/unfed_music.htm

(sorry if you don't dig Soundclick, i don't have anywhere else to post them right now...)

should have the rest up by tomorrow afternoon, i'll try to come up with some notes on what i was doing in each example if anyone's interested.

• Members

sounds great! I like it at the faster tempo better. I'd say you could cover quite a bit of the machinedrum's territory with just your G2 and a sampler. (assuming you'd be sequencing in a full sequencer, and not on the G2's sequencer modules...too cumbersome).

If you can come up with the cash, though, an MD still has plenty of unique territory...parameter locks, sample and PI machines, and a very inspirational workflow.

Personally, I have the modular classic and can't wait to complement it with a MD/UW :)

• Members

it's *all* from the G2, recorded 'live'. the rhythm and other funky sounds are from one patch that i made from scratch. the simple bassline is a factory bass patch that i added two or four serial sequencer modules to and made some slight adjustments. these are sync'd to play together in two slots of the G2. the drum patch is set to 'legato' and the bass patch is mono. two slots and plenty of voices left unused in these examples...

• Members

well you certainly used the digitizer module alot. Or maybe the string osc module. A bit too much for my liking. The bassline is OK. Maybe could have done with changing the bassline, because it gets a bit boring when listening for five minutes.

• Members

Originally posted by NightChildren

I use and love the G2 also.

The idea is great. Super vast.

The delays in the G2 are not too good when compared to what the Echo Pro can pull off though. With the assignable outs on the G2, the Echo Pro can only add to the experience. (but if you purchased the Echo Pro when they were blowing them out at $300, you should get at least that now, I've seen them go for $350)

I would not part with mine for that. It is too cool sounding and the options are good. (I don't know what I would replace it with)

I like outboard processing gear though.

(the delays in the G2 are just OK IMO. The reverb is weak though.)

The PodXT w/ fx junkie upgrade features all of the algorithms of the Echo Pro except the TC 2290 and auto-volume echo (but adds two others called bubble and phase eko). It also loses the stereo inputs, the XLR inputs, and the phrase sampler.

However, it adds a ton of amp and cab models, an LA2A-modelled compressor (and a gate), reverb, a parametric EQ, and additional "stomp box" (distortion, compression, auto-synth, auto wah), and a "mod" part (chorus, flanger, rotary, etc.).

The PodXT goes for $250ish if you shop around, and the model packs are $49 each or $99 if you buy all three (which I did). It's a killer little box.

• Members

EB - you should be able to do some interesting percussion with the FS1r, assuming alot of the synthesis and fx parameters are controllable via lfo, env, midi CC, etc... actually, isn't the FS1r a polyphonic cripple? you'd probably have to set each sound of your 'kit' to a different midi channel or keyboard split/zone if this is possible. not too sure how the FS1r works really... i'm pretty sure you could do something similar to this on something like a Q/microQ which has a nice multi mode and a healthy mod matrix (those 'drum programs' are helpful as well, never liked them myself though). not sure that the programmable arps on the Q would be sufficient for full drum patterns, so an external sequencer would probably still be needed.

NightChildren - i love the echo pro, but can't see how it can compare to the delays that you can build in the G2. i mean you can route each output of a stereo delay through different filters, EQs, etc as well as setting each side to a different delay time, feedback amount, etc. plus it's all internal so i can route just certain parts of the patch to it, modulate parameters using seqs/lfos (i guess this could be done to some degree on the echo pro using midi CCs) and all sorts of things. right now the echo pro just sits on aux2 which i send varying amounts of signal to from certain channels. i can't see much use for it anymore. i think i paid $200 for it used.

• Members

Based on my experiences with the PodXT and the G2e, I don't think a G2 can match the Echo Pro for "character" delays. It's just so full of tone. On the other hand, all of the Echo Pro/Pod delays are simple stompbox-style affairs, so it's definitely G2 for complex delays, multitap stuff, etc.

• Members

NChildren - selling for a profit, hopefully. :) not sure yet...

i looked at the patch that i used for the drums, sub-bass, and string osc and made a few notes on how the patch is made up. i recorded nine examples, all based on variations/expansions of the same patch. this version uses about 89% of the patch resources, so there's still a little room to build on it.

*kick (percussion osc)/snare (drum osc) are run by a pair of event seqs run serial forming a 32-step pattern. hats (drum osc) are just a string of 16th notes. pretty simple, kick and hats are pitch-modulated by the valseq that runs the string osc.

*string osc with damping controlled by value seq through vocal filter and inverted ADR.

*sub-bass is square wave through classic filter, overdrive and inverted ADR. a random clock generator is run through its note sequencer which gives the zipper effect.

*kick is sidechained on a compressor which is fed a mix of all other sounds. after mixing the compressor output back in with the kick, everything is run through an amplifier module then overdrive and digitizr modules which are switched on/off and modulated by a value seq sending midi CCs to them.

*whole mix is then bussed to the fx area and run through a comb filter whose freq (delay time) is being modulated by a value seq. then through tempo-sync'd stereo delay, 'medium' reverb, and a pair of 3-band EQ modules before going to the main stereo outs.

*i set up a 'page' on the G2 which had mute buttons for each part (kick/snare/hats/str.osc/sub-bass) so that i could drop parts in and out like i would do on the MPC, etc.

*there's also a ton of other little details i'm forgetting like the inverted envelopes on the bass and string osc go out to a couple other destinations besides the mixer. a few things like this as well...

*the lazy bassline was a seperate factory patch that i tacked a couple sequencers onto. filter cutoff was routed to the mod wheel, so at a couple points i switched over to this patch and made adjustments.

one thing i haven't even gotten into yet is using morphs or sending midi CCs to itself to switch between 'variations'. this is just the start, there's a ton of other things to try as well...

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

It's kind of wierd to think that you used to stick your jacks in my G2's little holes...

That's not all I stuck in there. :D I bet you would have liked to know that little tidbit before the sale, huh? Too late now. I used up all your money on canned soup and the spectralis. The soup was split pea, I believe. The spectralis is still cookin' at OS version .93A.

• Members

Unfed:

No SoundClick for me, and slow connection too, so I can't comment on the G2 stuff, sorry.

That said, I just want to echo (pun intended!) the comments about the Echo Pro.

True, in terms of configurability, the G2 delays will blow the Echo Pro out of the water...but that isn't really the point IMHO.

The power of the Line6 delay algos found in the Echo Pro (and in my POD XT w/FX Junkie pack) is the fact that they deliver so much color, character, and nonlinearities...perhaps more of all of those things than just about any other recent digital delay.

In that sense, I think those algos perfectly suit the timbral color coming out of many digital synths.

Plus, to me, the aux return from those algos is damn near pefect without any other processing...and in that sense, they tend to sit in a mix with little fuss.

I also think the Echo Pro is *kickass* when being used as the predelay control on a reverb send...you get lovely color and smear before it hits the reverb, and this can do a lot in terms of reverb tonality as it concerns any ER taps, and smoothness of any decay tail.

After I got my Echo Pro, I loved it so much I considered for quite a while about getting a second one...not because I really did need another delay...but because I did want more of that coloration.

Thank goodness I got that plus a shedload more coloration in the POD XT w/Model Packs...perhaps the best "DI/input strip" for synths I can think of.

just my 3 cents,

aeon

• Members

sorry to get your hopes up, my 'fx rack' currently consists of:

-ART power supply/lights

-TC m300 (used for reverbs)

-Echo Pro (delays)

-Behringer Composer Pro (for kick and bassline)

-Behringer Ultra-Dyne (haven't had much time to get into this since i bought it, i'll keep it for now)

-Boss ROD-10 OD/Dist/Fuzz (don't really use it anymore but can't get rid of it)

-Mackie 1604vlz and 1402vlz Pro i'm probably going to sell. the 1604 is too big, and i can't dig the lack of swept mids on the 1402. having alot of trouble finding a small mixer that i'll be happy with.

not too worried about processor load from the delays at this point, we'll see. another thing about this is that i now have no regrets about selling my Nanoloop setup. easy to get lo-fi crunch from the G2.

eight of the nine examples that i recorded are now up at the Soundclick page (see link above). the first was over 15 minutes long, wouldn't fit on there...

Archived