What is the secret to creating breathy pad sounds??

BLive

• Members

Originally posted by Jack Luminous

Ok then. I agree 2 independant bandpass filters are not that common on synths but you still can do something somewhat similar sounding with 2 resonating lowpass filters . Now that's more common !!

not even that is common, at least not in polyphonic dept. because both filters need to be resonant, you really only got a few:

CS series from Yamaha (two multimodes), Rhodes Chroma(2 multimode), Andromeda (one LP one multimode). all others are monophonics like MS20, or modulars of course.. (moog filter bank)

A6 - i think with some clever routing you could do even better - use two filters on A6 set to two "vowels", and route the output back thru filters of another voice, and set these additional two filters - so you get four "vowels" total.

VP330 is truly great, i played it a little bit, altough those sounds fall under "choiry" kinda thing rather than 'breathy' pads. JX10/MKS70 was always good at analog voxy, breathy stuff, for example.. (patch A3 VOICES)

beside korgs, another more recent contender, is JD990 - does breath pads with flying colours. true legend..

• Members

Of the synths that I own, the best 4 for doing breathy pads are:

1. Korg OASYS PCI - because of the vocal models, the presence of all that Triton wave ROM, and the routing/layering flexibility.

2. Clavia Nord Modular - because you have the modules and control necessary to make it happen, and formanty stuff is a cakewalk.

3. Waldorf Q - because the filter section can handle formants, and because one can do gentle spectral modulation at the osc level to get animated "air."

4. Roland JD-990 - simply because it has the source short-loop waves to do those sounds, but the routing and multimode filters certainly do not hurt.

cheers,

aeon

• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

+1

It mostly boils down to the right source material which are not standard analog waveforms. Most romplers have at least several waves that will work well for choir/breathy type sounds. Beyond that detune and chorus help.

+2

Inelegant perhaps if you're an analog purist, but it works. Modern romplers abound in these types of waves, from the realistic to the synthy. I like 'em bandpassed with their own envelopes, and carefully layered (not too much!) on top of a more standard pad (usually lowpassed saws) for that breathy sheen.

• Members

I agree with the fact that to get a nice breathy pad sound you need a ROMpler or at least some synth that has some sampled elements besides traditional waveforms. Of course the quintessential breathy pad would be the Fairlight classic vox.

Here are a few examples from the instruments that have been mentioned.

TG55 = Voyager

K1 = Aah

JD-990 = Lovely Vox Pad

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

Inelegant perhaps if you're an analog purist, but it works. Modern romplers abound in these types of waves, from the realistic to the synthy. I like 'em bandpassed with their own envelopes, and carefully layered (not too much!) on top of a more standard pad (usually lowpassed saws) for that breathy sheen.

I completely agree with Umbra, mrcpro and Varaldo. That's the simplest, most useful formula for breathy pads. Doing it with a traditional analog format is much more difficult, especially if you have a single filter to run everything through. You have to highpass/bandpass filter the white noise to make it sit on top of the tonal stuff. Unless you are using filter/amp feedback as your breath source. And that requires some careful tuning as well.

By contrast, it's easy on a rompler. There are usually a bunch of factory presets to tweak too. Best,

Jerry

Archived