The Very Under Appreciated Triton LE

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

That's cool & I'm sure you + the boys put on a great show and it sounds like you do put a lot of thought/effort/time into song selection/variation/continuity and all that...

But what I mean is this: what if someone in the band (the singer?) decides on the spot - at the gig, in the middle of a set - to change things around from what your pre-defined (for a week) set list says...
:confused::D

That's easy... we fire the singer!!!!:D

No seriously, we do that all of the time as well. It's no biggie Cuing up a patch manually on the Triton is as easy as any other synth. If I have to deviate from the setlist to a patch I don't have saved in the sequencer then I just manually pull up the combi.

The only time I can't easily pull something up if I play the song in a transposed key. The guys are forewarned not to shout out 3-4 songs that require me to go into th Global menu. In my opinion this is the biggest flaw in the LE (and Triton series) design. The LE could have been a great performance synth on par with the XP30 if they had included on board controls for key transpose, Octave, portatempo and splits, like they did with the N5. If the guys forget and pull up "Purple Rain" (which we play in e Flat) then I vigorously shake my head in the universal sign of "I can't do that", and the guys get the picture and we'll change to a guitar oriented song.

Our bass player pretty much decides where the crowd is going and will communicate any changes we need to make mid-set. Usually though our sets are so packed, it means that we are dropping a song out instead of adding one in. If you're asking if a particluar band member takes it upon himself to decide what the band will be play mid-set in a stuborn attempt to mold the set around his personal tastes ("I hate that song, not gonna play it"), .... thankful we don't have that 'problem'. We did, at one point... however that member was politely asked to leave. ;)

• Members

tdepmsay,

if you are going to do things live, how about considering pattern sequencing?

in the triton Le, you can make patterns and assign them to keys. so, you can change things realtime.

Here's a snippet from my experience with triton LE:

i had sequenced a song for my school choir to sing. When the chorus came, they left a measure and sang the chorus. now, as you'd imagine, this's be a disaster for sequenced work.

so, i quickly went to locate the point and kept my fingers ready on the transport buttons. I waited for the right measure and located the song so that it was in sync to their singing. saved the day. :)

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

That's easy... we fire the singer!!!!
:D

No seriously, we do that all of the time as well. It's no biggie Cuing up a patch manually on the Triton is as easy as any other synth. If I have to deviate from the setlist to a patch I don't have saved in the sequencer then I just manually pull up the combi.

Right - that's what I do on my Le at gigs - punch up manually, 'cept half the time I can't remember the patch no. so I'll go into the "Category" section and pull up patches that way.

The only time I can't easily pull something up if I play the song in a transposed key. The guys are forewarned not to shout out 3-4 songs that require me to go into th Global menu. In my opinion this is the biggest flaw in the LE (and Triton series) design. The LE could have been a great performance synth on par with the XP30 if they had included on board controls for key transpose, Octave, portatempo and splits, like they did with the N5.

Good point - it really would be cool to have all that on the Le.

If the guys forget and pull up "Purple Rain" (which we play in e Flat) then I vigorously shake my head in the universal sign of "I can't do that", and the guys get the picture and we'll change to a guitar oriented song.

Yikes... And right there is where we part company: I don't have the luxury of saying "No I can't play that right now" at my gigs - ha ha!"

Our bass player pretty much decides where the crowd is going and will communicate any changes we need to make mid-set. If you're asking if a particluar band member takes it upon himself to decide what the band will be play mid-set in a stuborn attempt to mold the set around his personal tastes ("I hate that song, not gonna play it"), .... thankful we don't have that 'problem'. We did, at one point... however that member was politely asked to leave.
;)

That's cool - your bass plyr. acts as a quasi-musical director. No, I wasn't asking if you had any grandstanders, I've just found that, every band has to have a "leader" - no matter how much every other member may think they are all equally important and vital to the band (which can be true), ONE person STILL has to call the shots + make instant decisions about repetoire, breaks, etc... or else it's just a big mess.

Archived