UK/European buyers on HC classifieds- scam?

• Members

I have never done this. Am curious- does US gear even work for the UK, etc? I had thought that Europe and the UK had a different electrical system. And also, what about overseas buyers saying that a friend or agent would be sending the money order? I know the currency is different but that sounds kind of funny to me. I wish I had stipulated US or maybe North American buyers only, I don't want a hassle and am not that desperate to sell.

I would appreciate if I could hear some examples of attempted scams. BTW the stuff in question is not expensive, doesn't seem worth the trouble for a scammer. My apologies to legit overseas people and anyone who types with an "accent".

• Members

PFK, there is no need to fear europeans more than americans in this respect, not even the english!

Yes, the mains voltage is different, around 230V AC, and the plugs

are different.

There's plenty of scammer avoidance tutorials out there - otherwise you should usually be able to smell the fish.

(The mind boggles... so is it really true that that americans know nothing about anything outside the US of A then? ;) )

Please forgive my accent.

DJ

--

• Members

Well, basically we are connected to civilisation (as you know it) by several means - so there would really be no need to ask "agents" in the states to send money orders, or do anything else on our behalf.

I'd say that that is a warning sign.

As for equipment working in Europe - it's not like our electrons run the wrong way or something, we just have higher voltages so a simple transformer can do the trick of getting electrical devices to work.

• Members

Originally posted by program_insect

Listen, bud...I'm a fellow American and I've got your back....do not...I repeat....do NOT trust those European internet users! Swindlers, every one of them.

You live in a trailer park too???

:D

• Members

yes, I was being facetitious about the Europeans. I love Europeans, in general you all are a very fair-smelling bunch....

seriously though, wouldn't you guys feel sketchy on the buying end of a non-ebay transaction? I mean, once they have their money, there's nothing other than common decency which would motivate them to send you your item. And I find that decency is scarce sometimes....

• Members

That "Agent" thing is a sure sign of a scam. These guys can't help but give themselves away. I've had numerous emails from people outside the US, some sound legit, some are obvious scammers. Even if they are legit, who wants to deal with customs, freight charges, VAT? No thanks. There are plenty of potential buyers in the US. It's hard enough to nail someone that scams you that's in a different state, let alone on a different continent.

Mike T.

• Members

Originally posted by Miket156

Even if they are legit, who wants to deal with customs, freight charges, VAT?

As a seller of an item that has to be shipped it would be quite hard to avoid dealing with freight charges, no matter which country you ship to ;)

As for the other stuff, VAT and taxes - surely that could not be your problem?

I mean, as long as you have received your money - whether the recipient wants to pay duties or not can't really matter to you.

And even in paranoid America customs can't be much worse than having to sign a form that states what you send and that you are not exporting somthing illegal?

Come on - quit being a crybaby about it and get that export business rolling :D

• Members

I already had "someone" from the UK that wanted me to under insure a synth so he would pay less VAT tax! Yeah right. If it gets crushed and I under insured it, take a wild guess who would have gotten screwed? He want to do Pay Pal. If someone in the UK pays me UP FRONT, picks up the freight AND insurance costs, I'll be glad to insure it for fifty bucks if he wants. As long as I have the money in hand, he can do whatever he wants, I'll ship via the stork if he wants me too. But this guy was trying to "save money" at my expense, and I've had enough things damaged or "lost" by common carriers. I'm NOT a cry baby, I'm realistic.

You go ahead and ship your vintage synth somewhere with that deal if you want too. "A FOOL and his money are soon parted" DUH.

Mike T.

• Members

I already had "someone" from the UK that wanted me to under insure a synth so he would pay less VAT tax! Yeah right. If it gets crushed and I under insured it, take a wild guess who would have gotten screwed? He want to do Pay Pal. If someone in the UK pays me UP FRONT, picks up the freight AND insurance costs, I'll be glad to insure it for fifty bucks if he wants. As long as I have the money in hand, he can do whatever he wants, I'll ship via the stork if he wants me too. But this guy was trying to "save money" at my expense, and I've had enough things damaged or "lost" by common carriers. I'm NOT a cry baby, I'm realistic.

You go ahead and ship your vintage synth somewhere with that deal if you want too. "A FOOL and his money are soon parted" DUH.

Mike T.

I do agree with you, in that the tax-evasion/saving money thing is not a nice situation for you as a seller, then again - i was thinking of a situation where you had alreday received the funds (obviously including all shipping costs and extras) without retracting options - in that case it will be the buyers problem if anything happens.

The difficult part of such a transaction being to establish a sense of mutual trust - and to be quite honest: Even though i could get used synths a lot cheaper by buying them in other countries (Denmark is #%&%

• Members

grumphh:

It's also the "hassle" factor. I have run into people in the US that are trustworthy, so if I did decide to sell something, I know the gear would be going "to a good home". Someone that would take care of it and appreciate it. I've developed a lot of attachment to my vintage gear, and the only reason I would sell ANY of it is there are times I'm really strapped for money. Like now. :(

Mike T.

• Members

grumphh:

I have run into people in the US that are trustworthy...

Yes, but my main point was that you could just as well find trustworthy people in any other country in the world, and that the hassles of shipping to those people are probably not much greater than shipping across continental USA :D

That said - i guess that it is easier to get shafted when you deal with people from other countries, so i understand your worries.

OTOH - most of the scams i have read about on these forums that have actually taken place have been US only...

Archived