Which synth module?

ned911

• Members

Looking at 2 modules: Roland D-110 and a Yamaha TG-55

These will be used to create backing tracks for a basic rock cover band. Keys, synth, piano, general noises (hand claps, etc).

Which one will best fit our need.

Appreciate the input.

• Members

I have a TG55, and I love it. I wouldn't depend on it for traditional rompler sounds (guitars pianos and that sort), but as a synth engine, it is pretty darn cool!

I've actually gotten some pretty good choir sounds out of it, along with a bunch of big digital tri/square pads...and a number of neat noises.

Despite my enthusiasm though, I am selling my unit, which comes with 2 Data cards... in case anyone is interested... ;)

• Members

They are both cool little modules and they both will fit your needs.

The D-110 is basically the rack version of the D-10, which is a scaled-down version of the D-50, plus a drum machine. The TG55 is a more recent and versatile "ROMpler", but it also contains very good filters.

You can hear mp3 demos of the 55 here:

http://www.synthmania.com/tg55.htm

I don't have demos of the D-series yet (my D-50 is in the shop at the moment) but the 110 is also a very nice-sounding module, with great L.A. and analog sounds -

So basically they are pretty much equal (the 55 will have better acoustic piano, though) I guess the choice is yours, let your ears be the judge.

• Members

Originally posted by ned911

These will be used to create backing tracks for a basic rock cover band. Keys, synth, piano, general noises (hand claps, etc).

i'd strongly recommend you take a look at some of the early (and cheap nowadays) incarnations of E-Mu Vintage Keys modules. or a newer if budget allows. i'm positive that could fill a classic keyboard role in a cover band better than 110 or 55..

actually there's whole bunch of cheapo modules that might do this - like 01RW, 03RW, Ensoniq MR series etc etc. 110 is quite an early form of ROMpler, not up to the task if imo. got some nice LA type sound tho..

• Members

Don't know the TG-55, but I know the D-110 very well.

The D-110 sound is a bit muddy and lacking in the high end. It tends to "collapse" if you play many sounds on it at once, as in the sound fizzling out, loosing breath or something. This is not subtle, but show stopping. My band has been through a couple and given them up.

The TG-77 is in a totally different league than the TG-55. Big slugger of a synth with both gobsmacking FM and AWM. Yamahas coolest module ever IMO.

DJ

Edit : bad typo :rolleyes:

--

• Members

Being a racing fan, I Just had a look at your racing pages. Vey nice!

You can't race Porches and play with cheap romplers, you know ;)

Nothing less than a TG-77 will do - its FM engine being like a Porsche boxer (...or perhaps more like a mazda Wankel - in which case you have to race an RX-7 as well!) :D

DJ

--

• Members

I grabbed a TG77 of eBay this evening, have applied to join the TG/SY77 Yahoo group.

Anyone have any other good 'Net resources for the TG77? How about a good editor/librarian?

Thanks again for all the help.

Archived