Don't give up.. just remember...

• Members

Originally posted by Meatball Fulton

Anything is possible, eh?

Well, Syd aint coming back anytime soon
;)

Well, he's not dead. He's alive and well, living in Cambridge. Technically, it still is within the realm of possibility.

But I doubt he'd get back with Pink Floyd, they've just gone in such a different direction. It's be pretty crazy to hear them play "See Emily Play" these days, though.

• Members
Originally posted by BOBA JFET

Well, he's not dead. He's alive and well, living in Cambridge.

I think Meatball may be commenting more on the "Well" part than the "alive"

Technically, it still is within the realm of possibility.

It reads back to the question within the main assertion, does possibility of combination only require existence of associated elements or are there other structural parameters making some combinations not part of the solution-space

(sort of like valid/invalid configurations of chess pieces on a board)

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

It reads back to the question within the main assertion, does possibility of combination only require existence of associated elements or are there other structural parameters making some combinations not part of the solution-space

(sort of like valid/invalid configurations of chess pieces on a board)

Well, I can't disagree with that, but given that we don't really know what all of the relevent parameters are in the first place let alone the status of those parameters, I'd say it's more prudent to err on the side of caution and acknowledge that such an occurance, however unlikely, is not really impossible.

FWIW evidence suggests that Syd is in relatively good physical and mental condition, and probably has been for 25+ years. Not that I can claim to be an expert on the subject or anything, but there are a few clues that suggest that is the case, and none that I know of that discredit that notion.

• Members

Well, I can't disagree with that, but given that we don't really know what all of the relevent parameters are in the first place let alone the status of those parameters,

yup, it it is beyond our current knowledge horizon

I'd say it's more prudent to err on the side of caution and acknowledge that such an occurance, however unlikely, is not really impossible.

agreed that it's most prudent to err on the side of caution, but the true side of caution might simply be "possibility unknown" as opposed to "possible"

ie we cannot accurately make an assessment of the possibility - it may be possible or impossible, but we do not have the knowledge to assess

"unlikely, but not really impossible" is an assumption we simply my not be able to support either...it may be...or not...we just don't know

I think it's a logic trap that happens a lot - invalidation isn't negation (you see that mistake all the time in error traps/exception handling in software)

saying "we can't say it's impossible" doesn't mean "we can say it's possible" - the assertion pivots arround "zero weight" and invalidating an assertion gives it zero weight which will give the negation a zero weight as well

FWIW evidence suggests that Syd is in relatively good physical and mental condition, and probably has been for 25+ years. Not that I can claim to be an expert on the subject or anything, but there are a few clues that suggest that is the case, and none that I know of that discredit that notion.

hmmm, which evidence?

• Members

there's more than a couple recent(?) pics of him doing his thing around town. seems to be in decent physical health, nobody's certain what his psychological state could be for the past thirty years or so. he looks pretty normal in the c.1980 pics in the family garden...

• Members

well he does do a lot of laundry ;)

then againn, kazinski was functional enough to build bombs :(

(I guess that's a secondary gate to pass, a being may be physically functioning at a high enough level, then maybe we can go to cognitively functioning...maybe harder to judge, then we've got temperamentally stable enough to function artistically, then in an ensemble..is he socially functional?)

who knows how that mind is working - we have enough trouble understanding...even defining a nominal mind

• Members

Even as early as 1975 he stopped by one of the the Wish You Were Here recording sessions to say hi.

I don't know what british mental health care is like, but one would hope that he's relatively mentally stable if he's walking around on his own.

• Members

I'd think that answer if he's dangerous (to himself/others)

but we've got the other questions of "functioning" for artistic work

I guess that's a secondary gate to pass, a being may be physically functioning at a high enough level, then maybe we can go to cognitively functioning...maybe harder to judge, then we've got temperamentally stable enough to function artistically, then in an ensemble..is he socially functional

(I have a relative with a mental condition that is that way, she's OK cognitively, but not so OK interacting with other people :( she can't work)

• Members

I don't think the mind is so simple that one can create discrete categorizations of functioning like that.

Anyway, I personally doubt it's a question of whether he is sane enough. I doubt he was ever that insane to begin with. The only reasonably verifiable stories about his behavior are mostly things like locking himself up in his room or freaking out and not being able to play on stage. I'm sure he had some issues to work through, but 37 years (since he left PF) is a long time.

• Members

I don't think the mind is so simple that one can create discrete categorizations of functioning like that.

that's why, typically, people are referred to on a coninuum "high functioning", "low functioning" -- they are discrete descriptions

another think to keep in mind is that "functioning" is more of a societal management term as opposed to a description of mental process (ie can they function within a social construct?)

Anyway, I personally doubt it's a question of whether he is sane enough. I doubt he was ever that insane to begin with. The only reasonably verifiable stories about his behavior are mostly things like locking himself up in his room or freaking out and not being able to play on stage. I'm sure he had some issues to work through, but 37 years (since he left PF) is a long time.

sane and insane are really more of those discrete categorizations that are implying an understanding of the internal structure

37 years...long time or short time depeding on one's situation

so sort of like you were talking about "sane"? "insane?" "a different take on the world?" -- very tricky to say

"functioning" - a rich question itself in terms of context (of functioning) and level...but may be a little more objective

Can you get home, can you feed yourself, can you communicate immediate conditions,can you communicate abstractions, can you stay on a task, can you process requests from others, do your habits endanger yourself or others

• Members

agreed that it's most prudent to err on the side of caution, but the true side of caution might simply be "possibility unknown" as opposed to "possible"

ie we cannot accurately make an assessment of the possibility - it may be possible or impossible, but we do not have the knowledge to assess

"unlikely, but not really impossible" is an assumption we simply my not be able to support either...it may be...or not...we just don't know

I think it's a logic trap that happens a lot - invalidation isn't negation (you see that mistake all the time in error traps/exception handling in software)

saying "we can't say it's impossible" doesn't mean "we can say it's possible" - the assertion pivots arround "zero weight" and invalidating an assertion gives it zero weight which will give the negation a zero weight as well

But the thing is, we don't have zero weight, and we don't have invalidation. We can say it's possible. Syd is alive. Syd is physically functioning. Pictures of him with a newspaper suggest he is cognitively functioning. Pictures of him with small droplets of paint splatters on his paints of multitudes of colors suggest that Syd is painting (an artistic activity he is known to have an interest in). So he is artistically functioning. Social function is so difficult to define that I don't really think it's a valid criterion. Even at what is supposed to be the height of his dementia he was conducting interviews, and even recording solo albums. He's been interacting with at least his family for a very long time.

The big unknown is the actual likelyhood of it happening. It would be fair to say that we can't accurately assess the likelyhood, but I would argue that we can accurately assess the possibility.

• Members

sane and insane are really more of those discrete categorizations that are implying an understanding of the internal structure

37 years...long time or short time depeding on one's situation

Read my post again. I was describing Syd's mental condition on a continuum as well, not just a sane/insane dichotomy. I really don't think even a continuum is a valid abstraction, in order to place something on a continuum a valuing process has to take place.

• Members

Originally posted by pighood

The Cowsills?

B00005LNG7.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of the Cowsills

1. Most of All

2. Rain, The Park and Other Things

3. We Can Fly

4. In Need of a Friend

5. Indian Lake

6. Poor Baby

7. Hair

8. Prophecy of Daniel and John the Divine (Six-Six-Six)

9. Silver Threads and Golden Needles

10. 11 X 11

11. Love, American Style

12. When Everybody's Here

"20th Century Masters" indeed! :o

• Members

I've always had my own ideas on the whole Syd thing (I did extensive research) but if he did play with Floyd I'd be looking out the back window for the mother ship at that point.

But, wasn't it Sherlock Holmes that said if something happens that's not possible, it must have happened impossibly. A bit of a precursor to Douglas Adam's improbability drive.

Archived