Trade Feeler: Extremely Rare Dimarzio Strat

DarkLlama

• Members

I recently picked this guy up. It's a Dimarzio Strat, and I've done some research and am currently awaiting emails from several promising sources. I've only found evidence of a couple others online, but here's what I've uncovered so far:

In the late 70s and early 80s, Dimarzio contracted several companies to produce full guitars for them. It seems certain that Charvel was one of them, but I've also read that ESP and Schecter manufactured Dimarzio branded guitars in the FugiGen Gakki factory. Apparently Earl Slick played one when he was with Bowie, and I found one guy who claimed that his was owned by Rick Nielson.

The guitar itself:

I have now been told that the body is likely Alder, but I'm hoping someone will be able to confirm it for me. The body has a couple of minor scuffs along the bottom, but otherwise in fantastic shape. The neck is maple on maple with the skunkstripe with a gorgeous vintage tint. Neck is dead straight and very fast. Very high quality Schaller style tuners with split shafts. Pickups are active EMGs (just seems wrong, doesn't it?) with the EMG Presence control, 25k pots and a Quik-Connect wiring harness. The saddles are Fender stamped steel, not sure if they're older USA or MIM. The neck pocket is stamped Dimarzio, I'll try to get a picture up.

It plays like an absolute dream, a real Fender killer. It plays like butter and just melts in your hands. There's some nice subtle flame to the neck wood. I have no idea what it's worth though, and I'll entertain all sorts of offers cash or trade. Feel free to PM me or post here. I check often.

Finally, the pictures! (click em!) I also have more pictures, but they'd only let me post 10...

img0051qh.th.jpg

img0052o0.th.jpg

img0053uk.th.jpg

img0055h.th.jpg

img0056a0.th.jpg

img00570.th.jpg

img00650.th.jpg

img0063nk0.th.jpg

img0060yp.th.jpg

img0059cq.th.jpg

• Members

What am I missing? No name anywhere to be seen and obviously recent EMG pickups. How are you getting Dimarzio out of this?

Lon, the pickups are clearly not original, and neither are the saddles. The Dimarzio logo is branded in the neck pocket though, and none of the other Dimarzio strats I could find online had a logo on the headstock. I'll get a picture of the neck pocket up as soon as I can. Hope that helps.

• Members

That is definately NOT a Charvel manufactured neck.. You can tell by the far spaced dot spacing at the 12th fret. Looks like all jap Dimarzio with later added Saddles and newer Emg's.. Also, those tuners are early to mid 80's Dimarzio units (WAY post Charvel) Great guitar none-the-less..

• Members

That is definately NOT a Charvel manufactured neck.. You can tell by the far spaced dot spacing at the 12th fret. Looks like all jap Dimarzio with later added Saddles and newer Emg's.. Also, those tuners are early to mid 80's Dimarzio units (WAY post Charvel) Great guitar none-the-less..

Thanks for the info. and everyone who should have been pm'd has been :thu:

Archived