Don't deal with these scumbags (Virsyn)

• Members

Originally posted by rylos

The desire to have absolute control over what happens to a product after the consumer buys it may eventually kill off a lot of the potential market for some products. When a company gets too heavy-handed they can piss off the customers so much that the market goes elsewhere. Like with the Next computer. That company decided that you wouldn't even be allowed to buy one unless you were a college professor, or someone as upscale. After a while they were begging for just anyone to buy the computer, but by then the market had sidestepped them. Sony is trying to kill the market for a game machine by attempting to make it play only "licensed" software. Problem is, a real market exists for the machine in playing non-Sony (but legal) software. If Sony does manage to lock out all other software, the market will shift towards whatever similar product that a competitor will eventually produce.

You have a brain. :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hello all,

i'm Harry, the CEO of VirSyn and want to clear things up a bit:

These are the facts:

1. Cybermonk bought a second hand copy of CUBE from a person X working in the warehouse of a retailer ( not

distributor... )

2. Cybermonk told us that he got TERA from person X as a gift. This TERA copy is a Not For Resale

Version we gave the retailer to show it to there customers.

As you all know :

"...Unauthorized copying, hiring, lending, renting, trading, giving away as gift or reselling of NFR copies

is strictly prohibited..."

excerpt from Cybermonks mail:

"...However, this was given me as an inducement to me to purchase Cube and Cantor at full price, which I did.

I know nothing about NFR..."

3. Cybermonk bought CANTOR from another retailer ( in contrast to what he told, but this doesn't matter here...

)

4. We told him that he should go to Person X and insist on a refund of his money.

Now the situation is as follows:

Cybermonk is a legal user of CUBE and CANTOR.

Now Cybermonk asked for the CUBE 2 upgrade.

There are three possible upgrade conditions:

Option A : users owning all three products get the CUBE 2 upgrade for 15 Euros regardless of the purchase date.

Option B : all others get the Upgrade for 15 Euros if bought (new) after January 1st

Option C : all others have to pay 79 Euros for the upgrade

Therefore we answered him that in his case he has to pay 79 Euros for the upgrade.

This was the whole story till yet...

Remark 1:

Person X has already sold other Not for resale copies to other people of our products and he is

blacklisted here...

Remark 2:

VirSyn generally allows license transfers. If you are the first owner

of one of our products the buyer can register the product witout paying a fee.

If a second/third,.. hand copy is sold again we request a registration fee of 20 Euros.

Harry Gohs

VirSyn Software Synthesizer

• Members

Originally posted by Birdienumnum

In the first part of your sentence, you say you're sorry, then immediately go into sarcasm in the 2nd part. Tsk tsk!
:D

On this point you are 100% correct, sir!
:)

Yes and NO.

He is only right in his assertion to be somewhat pissed at the situation.

He has absolutely no right taking a "business morale code 101" high ground and then go totally pissing on that high ground by suggesting people go get warezed versions of the said companies products.

If one has to take the moral high ground on matters like this then for {censored}s sake grow up and lead by example.

If they have a duty of ethics then so do you.

Standing by your ethics as a customer you do not lower yourself to the level of your accuser's actions.

It's defeatest at best and shows you are absoutely no better yourself.

Quite frankly you both sound like a bunch of pissy twats at the moment.

However if you are both adults I'm sure an agreement can be reached.

Though the likely hood of that happening after a thread of this nature is unlikely.

"Hey everyone I got burned on Korg Triton deal.

Everyone go out and rip one of the {censored}ers off as payback".....

Hmmmm yeah oh so very mature of you .

:rolleyes:

• Members

Yes well there are always two sides...... cough :D

I have gotten NFR copies of Software as a Beta Tester .

I know for a fact an NFR release does not entitle me to a discounted upgrade or update release program.

I have too side with Virsyn here.

The sale of an NFR copy of CUB too you was infact illegal.

Person X should be forced to give you a refund under those conditions.

They can't be held responsible for someone else's actions in this situation IMHO.

• Members

As I suspected, there was more to the story.

I have had great dealings with Virsyn and Harry, found them to be very nice and cooperative at every stage of every dealing I've had with them, buying, selling, and now rebuying their software.

It is generally known that NFR copies are NOT for resale, isn't it? If the seller sold one of these, then the dispute should be with the seller. I don't think that Virsyn is obligated to consider him the legal owner of all 3 products.

• Members

Originally posted by Chris100

A very elaborate story, but I have to side with Cybermooks on this one.

I, for one, will never again purcahse a Virsyn product.

BLACKLISTED
:mad:

Dude he was sold an NFR copy by some dick .

NFR copies by LAW are not for sale.

The issue is with the original seller of the software.

Not with Virsyn.

If I was given a promotional copy of Artist Y's CD from Person X as a present and told it was bought from Z store but didin't like it and the receipt was "supposedly misplaced" according to person X ...... does store Z then have any obligation to exchange it !!!! :rolleyes:

• Members

I, for one, will never again purcahse a Virsyn product.

BLACKLISTED

that's funny. I can't see any possible way that Virsyn is in the wrong here. I don't think that any company would allow a license transfer on a 'not for resale' copy. The fault was the seller's, who ripped off cybermooks. This is just SO OBVIOUS.

I think that it's incredibly unfair that anyone would publicly state that they would boycott a company over, what exactly?!

• Members

Yeah, the fact that it is an NFR marketing copy changes things entirely. That makes it the fault of the person who sold it, and the person who didn't check it when he bought it. NFR copies usually say so all over the package or the CD.

And then to call them names over it.

• Members

Originally posted by J3RK

Yeah, the fact that it is an NFR marketing copy changes things entirely. That makes it the fault of the person who sold it, and the person who didn't check it when he bought it. NFR copies usually say so all over the package or the CD.

And then to call them names over it.

It's pretty outrageous. And to speak badly about Germans in general when it was HE who mischaracterized the situation! I am so not impressed.

I do think, however, that he might be able to follow up legally here with the seller.

• Members

hilarious :D

...anyhoo, looks like cybermooks is in the wrong here. He bought NFR software, thems the breaks...

he should be bashing the person that sold him the software, not virsyn.

and btw, how is "kraut" a derogatory term for a german. If someone called me "ketchup" or "mustard", I wouldnt give 2 {censored}s. :confused:

should I not call me mexican friend taco?

sensitivity awareness can suck my fat ass...

PS.

scott, PLEASE do not censor/delete any replies. This thread needs to survive in its fully glory.

• Members

Ketchup and Mustard are not "registered" slurs. :D

I don't know who decides what is derogatory, but that's the way it is.

As I said though, it's not a good way to get someone to repsond to you in a positive way. Even more so, if it's not them that's causing the problem.

Sucks that he bought a marketing copy, but it's not their fault. Calling them names, especially ones that are recognized as slurs, well, I just don't see how that would go over well even if THEY were the ones that made the mistake.

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

and btw, how is "kraut" a derogatory term for a german. If someone called me "ketchup" or "mustard", I wouldnt give 2 {censored}s.
:confused:

It's not about the word itself, it's about the connotations. It's used as a perjorative, it's widely accepted that it's a disparaging term for Germans.

By your logic "nigger" shouldn't be offensive either, because really it's just a variation on the anthropological name for a racial group of people.

• Members

Originally posted by VirSyn Software

Hello all,

i'm Harry, the CEO of VirSyn and want to clear things up a bit:

These are the facts:

1. Cybermonk bought a second hand copy of CUBE from a person X working in the warehouse of a retailer ( not

distributor... )

2. Cybermonk told us that he got TERA from person X as a gift. This TERA copy is a Not For Resale

Version we gave the retailer to show it to there customers.

As you all know :

"...Unauthorized copying, hiring, lending, renting, trading, giving away as gift or reselling of NFR copies

is strictly prohibited..."

excerpt from Cybermonks mail:

"...However, this was given me as an inducement to me to purchase Cube and Cantor at full price, which I did.

I know nothing about NFR..."

3. Cybermonk bought CANTOR from another retailer ( in contrast to what he told, but this doesn't matter here...

)

4. We told him that he should go to Person X and insist on a refund of his money.

Now the situation is as follows:

Cybermonk is a legal user of CUBE and CANTOR.

Now Cybermonk asked for the CUBE 2 upgrade.

There are three possible upgrade conditions:

Option A : users owning all three products get the CUBE 2 upgrade for 15 Euros regardless of the purchase date.

Option B : all others get the Upgrade for 15 Euros if bought (new) after January 1st

Option C : all others have to pay 79 Euros for the upgrade

Therefore we answered him that in his case he has to pay 79 Euros for the upgrade.

This was the whole story till yet...

Remark 1:

Person X has already sold other Not for resale copies to other people of our products and he is

blacklisted here...

Remark 2:

VirSyn generally allows license transfers. If you are the first owner

of one of our products the buyer can register the product witout paying a fee.

If a second/third,.. hand copy is sold again we request a registration fee of 20 Euros.

Harry Gohs

VirSyn Software Synthesizer

Thank you very much Mr. Gohs for responding so quickly and in such detail. It is very much appreciated! :)

• Members

Originally posted by U&I

Yes and NO.

He is only right in his assertion to be somewhat pissed at the situation.

He has absolutely no right taking a "business morale code 101" high ground and then go totally pissing on that high ground by suggesting people go get warezed versions of the said companies products.

If one has to take the moral high ground on matters like this then for {censored}s sake grow up and lead by example.

If they have a duty of ethics then so do you.

You are right, U&I. I stand corrected. :)

I do sympathize with your situation, cybermooks. :)

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

hilarious
:D

...anyhoo, looks like cybermooks is in the wrong here. He bought NFR software, thems the breaks...

he should be bashing the person that sold him the software, not virsyn.

and btw, how is "kraut" a derogatory term for a german. If someone called me "ketchup" or "mustard", I wouldnt give 2 {censored}s.
:confused:

should I not call me mexican friend taco?

sensitivity awareness can suck my fat ass...

PS.

scott, PLEASE do not censor/delete any replies. This thread needs to survive in its fully glory.

I don't think that a slur needs to be a 'bad word' on an absolute level - it just needs to be a word that is commonly interpreted as an insult. and the context may have a lot to do with it. If a black person calls another black person 'nigger' he is not being a racist, and in fact is probably being friendly. However, if I use the term there is not much ambiguity. The intention of 'kraut' was to be a slur on Germans. As such it is no different than insulting any other ethnic group, race, sex, or sexual preference. It was a bigoted remark.

• Members

Originally posted by Smokin-Man

+1 on this
:)

I'll be checking out their products

I highly recommend their products. I own all 3 now, though my Cube 2 has still not arrived, god damn it. Some people don't like Cantor, because you won't get really intelligible results, but I like it because the results are strange and atmospheric, and can sound spookily like human voices.

• Members

Dang! Just got an email from Gohs thanking me for alerting him to this tempest in a teapot. That guy is sharp, alert and on the ball. A little different than dealing with ____ company (name your poison). ;)

Makes me want to pony up for Cube or TERA 2, pronto.

But cybermooks, you should kick that guy's ass that sold you that NFR...tell 'em Birdie sent ya! :)

• Members

You would be wrong then. Clearly Cybermooks wasn't providing us with all of the facts.

I would agree with others that Cybermooks needs to get his money back from the "warehouse dude" who sold him an NFR.

Archived