New to softsynths, what are you guys using?

• Members

I'm a bit new to softsynths and so I have a question. I'm going to be picking up Reason but I was wondering what you guys like for bread and butter type sounds. I looked at Kontact and it looks pretty cool, what do you guys like? I would like it to be expandable? Would Reason be capable of doing the bread and butter sounds?

Thanks!!!

• Members

Originally posted by chuppleland1

I'm a bit new to softsynths and so I have a question. I'm going to be picking up Reason but I was wondering what you guys like for bread and butter type sounds. I looked at Kontakt and it looks pretty cool, what do you guys like?

You might get lucky with Steinberg's Hypersonic or IK Multimedia's Sampletank.

You know you can't use Reason with Kontakt unless you've got something to ReWire? E.g. another sequencer that accepts Reason's input - Reason doesn't work with VST's, and you'll only be able to combine with ReWire.

I would like it to be expandable? Would Reason be capable of doing the bread and butter sounds?

There's several expansion packs that'll give you orchestral sounds, but for details, Google for Reason Refills. They're for the NN-sampler and they can expand your sonic range - don't ask me about the quality though, I'm not a Reason user.

• Members

I use Reason 3.0, NI FM7, and others.

Reason is perfectly capable of "natural" instruments. I posted some mp3 demos of 3.0 when it came out

http://www.synthmania.com/reason_3_0.htm

pianos are improved from previous versions, and the ROM as a whole was beefed up. The Combinator module allows you to save a patch complete with eq and effects, all in one module.

• Members

keep in mind that there are a lof of really good free softsynths out there.

be sure to check out:

http://www.kvraudio.com/

I downloaded a lots of really cool softsynths from there, and not I have to weed out enough of them to get a streamlined setup. they have some va, classic analog emulation , physical modeling , fm , phase distortion , and probably anything elso you can think of.

take a look.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr Varaldo

I use Reason 3.0, NI FM7, and others.

Reason is perfectly capable of "natural" instruments. I posted some mp3 demos of 3.0 when it came out

pianos are improved from previous versions, and the ROM as a whole was beefed up. The Combinator module allows you to save a patch complete with eq and effects, all in one module.

Good sounds,...but honest?Compared with a korg oasys for example,sounds this reason as a second class

• Members

I'll second cheking out KVR and looking at the free ones first. This will give you an idea of what type of synths you like for which sounds. (for example, maybe you like a VA for strings, a sampler for drums, etc. etc. etc.) You'll also find out what synthesis types you're into, and which ones may require more time than you'd like to get into (FM, add, etc.)

After you have a good idea of what you want, then go look at the commercial packages. Some of the free packages though rival many commercial synths.

As far as commercial stuff goes, if you need a whole suite containing everything you'll need, look at the Native Instruments bundles. Native Komplete and a nice sequencer like Cubase SX will provide everything you'd likely need. The latest versions all sound tip-top on decent audio hardware (or rendered output.) I personally stay away from rewire. I prefer the integration that VST synths (and now my Creamware synths,) offer under Cubase.

• Members

LOL.. methinks yet another Oasys thread wants to be born here ....

I have no opinion of Oasys either way. Not interested in it very much to be honest. I can use only my Motif ES as a measuring stick. I can't say I like Hypersonic or Hypercanvas as much for a general pallette of bread and butter sounds. I find the ES to be very good as an overall do everything board, and really I think the freeware SGM180 soundfont is as good if not better than most soft packages I've used for playing back GM midi files for example. I must qualify that with... only IF you add some effects ( chorus, reverb, at a minimum ..etc )

If I want to nail one particular group of sounds at a time though, I almost always find a vsti / dxi or a sample set that makes me at least as happy if not happier than the ES can.

For example, NI's B4 for Organs. MusicLabs realguitar for acoustic guitar emulations ( excellent string, slap, pull etc type effects, lots of samples ), LinPlug's Albino or AAS Ultra VA analog for synths ( not to forget Korg legacy, Absynth, or Imposocar ).

I have the AN150 plug in board for the ES. Supposed to be based on the Prophet 5, and it is quite nice sounding. I still like NI's Pro53 a bit better.

Also, I prefer some of my Vst effects to the internal ones on the ES. I simply take a patch, like a lead guitar, shut off the internal ES fx engine, and then send the clean sounds / samples to my VST host with Amplitube, and there isn't much to compare. I like Amplitube for fx better.

I like both ways actually. Hardware and Software. It's just with software, I can usually find what I want without having to go miles searching for it. What I won't ever do is shut one out in favor of the other just for the sake of it though. Whatever works best in a particular song or situation, I'm going with it.

AJ

• Members

I nearly forgot to mention Albino. Thanks for reminding me. It's an EXCELLENT VSTi subtractive. It does analog sounds very nicely, and even has some spectral waves as well. The audio quality is excellent, and the interface is very logical. If you just want an effective VA type synth, this one does it. You can do some very nice pads on this.

• Members

there's also a very good sounding substractive mono synth (free) called "triangle II". I found it sounded very strong.

on a side note... I see that alot of the free vst synths have bad (i mean really BAD) filters. and they all quite sound the same. when you turn the cutoff frequency knob, it's like the cutoff is going exponentially, as opposed to a clean linear line with decent filters.

anyone else notices this?

• Members

Triangle II is one of the excellent freebies available at KVR. RGC Audio makes it, and they offer commercial Vsti's as well. Pentagon I is one that I have, and I think it deserves to be mentioned right up there with the other top vsti synths.

I've tried out many of freebies there at one time or another. I agree that some have poor filters. There are a few pretty good freebies though that I think can be quite useful, especially to someone who wants to try out soft synths at little or no expense. The ones I like most also seem to get the better ratings from most other users there.

For good freebies, I might recommend Ichiro Toda's Synth 1 ( not the " other " Synth One.. big difference ), Green Oak Crystal, Superwave P8, Triangle II, and Lin Plug Free Alpha for starters, as well as the Kjaerhus series of effects plug ins.

AJ

• Members

I use a combination of Rewired Reason / Live / P5V2 with a very small group of donation/free and payware synths.

I use Reason 3 Combinator patches sequenced from within my host.

In Project 5 - Dimension, Psyn II and Velocity as does the DS sampler + Cyclone get heavy workouts.

Live gets used mainly for audio work as it still IMHO is it's strong point.

The ONLY vst instruments I use on top of that are.

Foorius - DMI (smart electronix)

Kubik - Concrete FX

Vectrik - Concrete FX

Rock - Concrete FX

Ensembler - Concrete FX

KarmaFX Modular - Karma FX

DaHornet - Dash Signature

Asynth - Antii

Texture - UGO

String Theory - UGO

+ Pluggo & Pluggo Jnr and pretty much everything SmartElectronix (SMEX have too offer effects wise) .

And that is pretty much it.

Archived