OT: NFL Football 2005-2006!

• Members

Originally posted by b3keys

What is with you people?!

Why don't you show some respect for my team and city. I am waiting for my apology.

I for one apologize if I offended you or your team/city. That was not my intention. But I do trully believe it was you who was also cheated or robbed as it where.

I believe we were all robbed of certain things on Sunday.

Seattle was robbed at a CHANCE for victory. If you whittle the officiating down to just ONE bad call- the long pass completion at the 1 yrd line, it would have changed the tide of the game. The Seahawks most likely would have scored, and been up 17-14 with 9 minutes left. Ask yourself the possibilities... Could Big Ben muster that game winning drive, could he make a great comeback? Could the Seattle D hold on. Could Hasslebeck counter if Ben and the Steelers take over the lead?

We'll never know...

As fans we got cheated out of a possible great game!

The Steelers got cheated out of a SB win...with no asterisk next to it.

Seattle got cheated out of there game momentom, and thier pride, and the glorious possibilities.

The city of Pittsburgh was cheated out of it's glorious 'terrible towel' icon, as the true terrible towels were indeed in the back pockets of the refs on Sunday.

The simple truth, we were ALL robbed of something!! We love this sport, and that's why the emotion.

The refs can do better than this, the NFL can certainly do better than this, and must find a way to do so now!! This has been an ongoing theme throughout this year's playoffs.

How come folks didn't rant and rave thru the end of the college football bowl season? Could it be because the officiating was fair despite it not being perfect? Could that also be the reason why the BEST football Ive seen all year was from 2 college games, despite me being a pro football fan?

My glorious memories of this year will indeed be the Notra Dame vs USC, and The Texas vs USC championship. Not perfect, but damn close enough for me! My disgraceful memory will be of this so called SB game..until I wash it from my mind!

Congrats to the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh! Shame on you NFL officials!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by O.K. Johnson

I think Jackson's "push off" was in the same league as the Steeler defender who had his hands on Jackson in the end zone before the "push off". Looks like the Steeler defender should have been flagged for pass interference under that rule. Can't have it both ways.

I tend to agree with you, here. I think that the Steelers should have been called for interference, unless I don't understand the rule correctly. This is that only "bad call" of the game, IMO. Lord knows that the Seahawks couldn't *BUY* a score without referee assistance.

Steeler fans, enjoy your "championship". It's real and it counts... but it is forever tainted.

If it had been a close game, decided by a FG or less, you'd have a case. But the Steelers whomped the Seahawks and scored more than twice as many points. Did the refs make Willie Parker's TD run happen? Did the refs make Hines Ward's TD catch happen? Even if the interference call hadn't been made, and Seattle had gotten another touchdown, they still would have lost. The only TD that Seattle scored was the result of a defenive play on a BIG MISTAKE by Ben. The Seahawks has ONE scoring drive. ONE! For THREE points! And you guys think that they were robbed? Get over yourselves!

If you want to win, you have to score points. Seattle proved that they could move the ball effectively at midfield, but they could not finish a drive. PERIOD. A winner like the Patriots would have sucked it up and scored more points. The Seahawks were not up to the challenge, and I'll bet that they don't get within spitting distance of the SB next year.

• Members

Originally posted by meccajay

My glorious memories of this year will indeed be the Notra Dame vs USC, and The Texas vs USC championship. Not perfect, but damn close enough for me! My disgraceful memory will be of this so called SB game..until I wash it from my mind!

Well said.

I was rooting for USC as much as anyone, and would have loved to be cheering a 3-peat, but Vince Young and Texas came out and stuck it to the Trojans, fair and square. Congrats Longhorns!!!

Can't give the same props to the Stealers.

• Members

SteadyB:

I suggest you READ my first post about Dan Patrick. Clearly, he doesn't know the NFL rules. He's not alone. Many of the sportscasters don't keep up with the change in the rules every year. It might not be a bad idea for you to do the same instead of whining. Time to grow up dude. :bor:

Mike T.

• Members

Originally posted by meccajay

Seattle was robbed at a CHANCE for victory.

Seattle couldn't even get within FG distance except for one drive. Hanging their kicker out there at 54 yards is not the way to win a Super Bowl. Even if they had come away with 3 at the end of most drives, they would have had their "chance" at victory. They couldn't get it done, couldn't close the deal.

Except for Matt Hasselbeck, who played a great game and has handled defeat like a man, Seattle and Holmgren have demonstrated the "loser mentality" more than any other team in Super Bowl history. Boo hoo! Things didn't go as well as we expected. Sniff sniff! They couldn't even score FG's, let alone TD's. It was as though the end zone was full of kryptonite. They got weaker and weaker as they went down the field.

I expected more from a Mike Holmgren team. Now, I'm sad that the Panthers didn't get in. We might have had a game.

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel

--->> SUPER WEB SITE BOWL

Check out these sites and then decide where YOU want to live!

Either

OR

---------------

It's pretty funny that the Seattle.net homepage has a logo featuring a coffee cup bearing a city logo -- a logo within a logo. Maybe I would rather live in Pittsburgh...nah.

• Members

Originally posted by Counterpoint

Boo hoo! Things didn't go as well as we expected. Sniff sniff! They couldn't even score FG's, let alone TD's. It was as though the end zone was full of kryptonite. They got weaker and weaker as they went down the field.

the way I saw the game: the hawks got screwed by bad calls. they would have had to play perfectly to overcome the offensive pass interference and holding calls. the steeler's D is way to good to be spotted extra plays. think about it---each penalty knocked the hawks out of drives (1st and 20 is no way to make drives on the steelers nickle defence) and showed cower plays he could adjust his schemes to.

maybe they should have full time refs.

/jonny

• Members

Originally posted by eatsdrummachine

maybe they should have full time refs. /jonny

That's a VERY solid point.

Anything that would offer a possible solution. MY TEAM lost the super bowl last year, but it didn't come close to the frustration and revoltion I, and everyone else seems to feel right now. Our game's integrity is at stake.

It's not the Steeler's fault. They won the game. They are the SB champs!

• Members

If I never saw the game, judging by the comments made on various message boards/forums, you'd think there were a million bad calls made against the 'Hawks. YES, they got bad calls, but again, to blame the fact that they didn't get the job done the rest of the time on bad officiating is not right.

The two key calls took place in the first half, and by the end of the half they were ONLY down 4 points, so they still had the entire second half to get themselves together. The holding and (ridiculous) "blocking" fouls didn't happen until about the end of the 3rd Q. Forget how they even got into that situation? Matt overthrew Jackson. They were on the 29, and again only down 4 points. I guess the refs had a remote control ball and made it look overthrown. :rolleyes: Looking at that TD the Stillas got after that, and it was clear they would've scored off that play without the 15 yard penalty. So that foul is not nearly as significant as the others, nor as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

Also, They scored ONE touchdown that got taken away, so I don't know where 21 points keeps coming from. They were not guaranteed that score from the 1. The 'Hawks bailed on themselves and their fans. No way could I back them up in this.
Peace

• Members

Quote by Steadyb:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The kryptonite was in the refs back pocket, as was the stealers tainted championship.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Championship cannot be tainted by a poor loser like you Steady. Now I know why you use the handle "SteadyB". It stands for "Steady Bull{censored}". Why don't you take the loss like a man instead of a whinning little girl?

Mike T.

• Members

Oh for pete's sake I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit here and watch my football thread/commuinity demean itself with this kind of ad hominem bull crap.

Can we just acknowledge that emotions run high in these matters, that even those who present themselves as neutral on the issue (like me) are doing so only to strengthen their argumentative position?

This is as close to an objective statement as I can make on the game:

The bad calls mostly affected Seattle
The bad calls were influential in the outcome
No one can say what would have happened if the bad calls had not happened.

Winners, repspect the loser's feeling of being gyped or at least handicapped. They have a pretty good case.

Losers, respect the winners' belief that their team earned it, pulling off three critical big plays that you're not likely to see in a regular season game, let alone a Super Bowl (I include the 3rd and 28 conversion along with other obvious two).

The "minority opinion" that Seattle won but for poor officiating will be logged in SB history and become part of this game's all-round dubious lore, but that is not TAINT; that is an acknowledgement that officiating is a factor in all outcomes, in all sports that use it...

Good night and good luck...

• Members

Magpel:

I completely agree with your last post. The fire starts when the LOSERS blame officiating for their loss, not their team's lack of putting the ball in the end zone.

As a life long Steeler fan, I can fully appreciate what it feels like to lose in a Championship game, and in our last Super Bowl appearance ten years ago.

Last year, we got our clocks cleaned by the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship game. We didn't just lose, we were embarrassed. That loss has sat in every Steelers fan crawl since last year.

So we finally get a win in the Super Bowl this year. We earned it. Then SteadyB comes along, calls us Stealers, and whines that the game officials took the game away from them. What they need to do is regroup, watch the game film, and learn from the loss. If they do, they'll be back in the Championship game next year. All the whining and finger pointing is not going to change the outcome of Sunday's game. I've had enough of his insulting remarks about my team. However, I will stop if SteadyB stops.

Mike T.

• Members

Originally posted by Miket156

However, I will stop if SteadyB stops.

My kindergarten kid said the same thing to me this morning about an argument he was having with a schoolyard chum. Really, word for word.

What do you care if Steady wants to blame the officiating? He's not alone. There are dozens of respected sportswriters saying the same thing. they all know it's not going to change the outcome.

You can be proud of your team without having to be defensive about it. Nothing you say is going to change the minds of fans who felt the Seahawks got screwed. They have a legit point, as well as every right to say so. And you have every right to say that you're happy to have won the championship.

This is America. We can all watch football, fart, burp, and complain about officiating. It's our God-given right.

- Jeff

• Members

Jeff:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you care if Steady wants to blame the officiating?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do I care? SteadyB is the one that started the name calling. He's blaming the officials instead of accepting the reality of what happened in the game. Please read my previous post about sports writers, e.g. Dan Patrick from ESPN, who doesn't know the rules, much less have a clue. So because he has a radio program and spouts on and on about how the Seahawks got screwed with bad calls...that makes is accurate? That makes it acceptable?

It pisses me off that Seattle fans are using excuses, and sportwriters that don't know what the hell they are talking about, are trying to detract from the Steelers Super Bowl win. It's my right to defend my team when losers that couldn't back up what they said on the field make excuses and call the Steelers STEALERS. We didn't steal anything. We won. Get over it.

Mike T.

• Members

Miket and b3keys,

1st thing to know is that steadyb can go....forever. If you pursist he will not stop. If he is pursisting and you respond in kind, he will not stop. Take it from me. steadyb and I had a sports argument on our old boards that lasted about 5 months... Entertaining to lurkers, but taxing like a marathon chess tournament.

I said that to say this.. He's in pain right now. A lot of us who aren't Seattle fans kinda hurt too. The game of football kinda took a small step backwards. I was the 1st to admit it WASN'T THE FAULT OF THE STEELERS, in time steadyb may as well.

Jeff and Magpel are right about it. It won't taint your win as Steelers, but it does make the whole SB have a kinda stink about it. Ya have to admit that.

That's also the part that I mentioned hurt YOU GUYS. It's not your fault the calls were bad, hell, it may not even be the fault of a single ref, maybe it WAS just a lack of confidence or conviction in the officials that caused one ref to point down to the ground, then lift his arms up in the air to signal touchdown for Big Ben....didn't look staged or thought out to me.. Something just went wrong.

Yes, if the Seahawks made more plays they could have overcome that, but they shouldn't have to. They should just be able to play football. The same way Steelers & fans should just be able to enjoy a VERY SWEET victory that they earned.. The officiating ruined that for you, and for Steadyb, and for the seahawks and steelers...no one else. Were all just VENTING about it.

Things will calm down in a few days. But we'll be watching those refs and learning there names. For they shall NEVER desecrate our sweet past time again!

• Members

He's blaming the officials instead of accepting the reality of what happened in the game. Please read my previous post about sports writers, e.g. Dan Patrick from ESPN, who doesn't know the rules, much less have a clue.

But Mike... it's not just SteadyB. It's not just Dan Patrick. There hasn't been a single story written about Super Bowl XL that doesn't include mentions of questionable officiating. And that's the nice ones. Read the story from Seahawk hater Skip Bayless:

Your Seahawks lost this game a little more than Pittsburgh won it.

Your defense battled its guts out and mostly stuffed Pittsburgh's run. But one breakdown allowed Willie Parker to escape untouched for a 75-yard TD. You can't overcome mistakes like that in a game like this.

But, no, you can't overcome 11 lost points worth of penalties, either. On this night, you belonged in the Super Bowl as much as Pittsburgh did, for what that's worth.

On this night, the only frauds wore stripes.

Mike, you may feel like something is being taken away from your victory by people pointing this stuff out. The only problem is, it's true! Roethlisberger said yesterday that he didn't think he got the touchdown. Are you going to be mad at him for saying so?

However, the game is done, it is what it is. And so...

We won. Get over it.

Probably good advice. You need to take some of that yourself.

- Jeff

• Members
Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

However, I will stop if SteadyB stops.

My kindergarten kid said the same thing to me this morning about an argument he was having with a schoolyard chum. Really, word for word.

SteadyB was having an argument with your kidergarten kid too!!!!:eek:

:D

• Members

If there wasn't more than a grain of truth to the fact that the refs hepled the stealers and hurt the Seahawks, all of the stealburg fans wouldn't be getting sooooooooooooooooooooooo defensive about their so called victory.

But since football fans across the country as well as sports writers all across the airwaves are calling bull{censored}, then there must be something to it.

Only guilty conscience stealer fans are reacting so defensively to the comments about the refs.

Hey, the Lombardi trophy is yours, you got away with one. But in regards to Miket156's defensiveness..."The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Archived