WTB: Budget, hard tail guitar >> $300 shipped max

gruvjack

• Members

Hi, all.

The title says it all. I'm basically looking for a budget hard tail guitar. Just in case you missed that, I prefer hard tail. No Floyds, Wilkinsons, etc.

I like Strat and Tele style bodies but I'm open to suggestions. Single coils, humbuckers, P90s or some combination thereof are cool.

300 bucks shipped to Austin, TX 78728 is the most I can do. I may stretch the budget if it's an exceptional offer. There was a nice Nashville Tele style Charvel that was here a while back which I really liked but it was beyond my budget.

If you have a budget project that doesn't need a lot of DIY effort or a luthier to complete, I may consider it. On the other hand, I don't want a lemon or a FUBAR beater.

NO PAYPAL but I can mail a postal order. You can check my rating on my practically defunct eBay account (username: gruvjack).

Thanks for reading. Feel free to PM me.

V.

• Members

Thanks for the replies, all. Looking at all of them. My first electric (Kramer) had a Strat style tremolo and the whole thing went out of tune when I did massive string bends. Floyds are too much for someone who's not into whammy pulls and dives. That's why I'd rather avoid them altogether.

The Ibanez looks promising. Not sure about the 24.75" scale though. I've played 25.5" scale all my life.

Still mulling over everything. Thanks, folks. Keep 'em coming.

V.

• Members

You just have to block the trem, tuning will be solid as a rock. Put a block of wood in the trem cavity, or even a 9-volt battery. I like blocked trems cause you get tuning stability, but you still have that cool sound you get from the springs and all that metal.

• Members

I'm of the opinion that if you put a good nut and good tuners on the guitar and install the strings correctly then you CAN have the best of both worlds without a Floyd or a Locking Nut. Vibrato, even some massive whammying and Tuning Stability CAN co-exist. Ever listen to Jeff Beck? He just has a Vintage Tremelo and standard Sealed Tuners.

• Members

You just have to block the trem, tuning will be solid as a rock. Put a block of wood in the trem cavity, or even a 9-volt battery. I like blocked trems cause you get tuning stability, but you still have that cool sound you get from the springs and all that metal.

Or I could bypass all that and get a hard tail :idea::facepalm:

Just kidding. Thanks for the tip.

V.

• Members

I'm of the opinion that if you put a good nut and good tuners on the guitar and install the strings correctly then you CAN have the best of both worlds without a Floyd or a Locking Nut. Vibrato, even some massive whammying and Tuning Stability CAN co-exist. Ever listen to Jeff Beck? He just has a Vintage Tremelo and standard Sealed Tuners.

That thought did occur to me. Noted with thanks.

V.

Archived