So Mr. Riceguy, did you end up choosing a HD mp3 player yet?

Jeebus

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Given he last mentioned:

-- wants to play .wma files

-- likes the Windows Media Player interface

-- has a current target price of $150

I expect he has already ruled out an iPod at least in the near term.

Of course, on the other hand:

-- iTunes will auto-convert .wma to .aac

-- one can buy an iPod mini for $199

-- girls like these like an "iPod man"

http://www.ninjapants.org/files/%5bc%5d%20ipod.jpg

:)

• Members

He might be able to use an app like Ephpod as his primary loading SW if he prefs that interface (something to audition before committing to be sure)

The multiplefile format type thing might be a bit more of a problem...sadly we aren't quite there yet with format maturity and cross-platform compatability (and dRM overlays to complicate things yet further)

but at least these days the FW/SW is updatable (hell, the last CD player I got has updatable FW - sits in a drawer a lot though)

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

get the Creative Zen Micro

Show me a picture of a hot babe using a Creative Zen Micro and I will consider it.

I just looked at pictures of the "Zen Micro", and it looks suspiciously similar to the iPod mini:

http://www.nomadworld.com/products/Zen_Micro/

It even mimics the iPod Mini's different colors:

http://www.apple.com/ipodmini/

Now why in the world would Creative make a product that looks so similar to the iPod mini?

I guess the old saying holds true -- "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

ipod blows, its over rated and sucks donkey balls.

get the Creative Zen Micro

Comprehensive survey names Apple Computer the world's most innovative company

Friday, July 22, 2005 - 09:15 AM EST

Boston Consulting Group polled 940 senior executives in 68 countries for their 2005 Top 20 Innovative Companies in the World survey.

Apple Computer placed first by a resounding margin with more than double the responses of the number two company, 3M.

Apple received 24.84% of the responses (3M had 11.77%). Of Apple, the chart in BusinessWeek reads, "Delivers great consumer experiences with outstanding design; steady flow of new ideas that redefine old categories, such as music players; continual evolution of business model and brand."

BusinessWeek had published the full Top 20 list here.

Pretty interesting.

B.G. - Apple

• Members

while that is certainly a feather in the cap, given the population of the poll, the innovation may be skewed to innovative biz model usage, etc

for the technical innovation side, I'd rather see a poll of the engineers, maybe their IP holding, things of this nature

• Members

Disclaimer: I never read the HD MP3 player thread, so my appologies if I'm repeating points.

While I agree iPod is not necessarily the best for all users, it's hard to argue that they really have the user experience nailed, especially for the less experienced computer user. iTunes and iPod work seamlessly.

I dislike the Creative Zen Micro. I would take an iPod mini over that. I find the Rio Carbon to be an EXCELLENT micro-HD player, and I'm curious as to why it gets so little attention.

• Members

Originally posted by jazzed

While I agree iPod is not necessarily the best for all users, it's hard to argue that they really have the user experience nailed, especially for the less experienced computer user. iTunes and iPod work seamlessly.

I dislike the Creative Zen Micro. I would take an iPod mini over that. I find the Rio Carbon to be an EXCELLENT micro-HD player, and I'm curious as to why it gets so little attention.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

• Members

iPod, Creative Zen Micro, Rio Carbon... there are lots of good choices out there.

What's right for one person, may not be the right choise for another.

Get the one that works best for your situation and be happy with it. No need to be overly concerned with what someone else has if you love what you've got.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by Chris100

An interesting "shootout" between the zen micro and ipod mini.

Hey Chris, which device to you use for music?

Do you have a Zen Micro, Rio Carbon or something else?

I would (sincerely) like to hear about how you chose what you're currently using, and what features you like the best, or can't live without.

I'm familiar with the iPod, but not really any of the PC centric devices. Maybe you could give me your take on them?

Thanks.

B.G. - Apple

• Members

Originally posted by steadyb

Zen Micro, Rio Carbon...

I
would
(sincerely) like to hear about how you chose what you're currently using, and what features you like the best, or can't live without.

It doesn't have to be one of those...

it can be whatever device you already have.

• Members

Originally posted by steadyb

It doesn't have to be one of those...

it can be whatever device you already have.

If I may humbly step in for a bit with my take on this - I feel qualified to do so as I'm looking to buy (probably) a micro hard drive or 2" hard drive based mp3 player in the near future to replace my unfortunately deceased (after 7 months of use..:$) 128mb Gembird F-drive

Even though I really like the operation and the design philosophy behind the Ipod (three of my ex-girlfriends own a copper mini, a blue mini and an Ipod photo, respectively - so I've tried them a couple of times) - I must say that I don't like the "forced" Itunes connection - I far prefer to consider the player as an extra drive/USB-device to which I can transfer data without any extra programs - so, that's what I've been looking for - as I don't like the design of neither the Zen Micro or the Rio Carbon I've been looking at a 4gb no-name micro hard drive player called "DJ4" (about the size of an Ipod mini) which both plays mp3, wma, and ogg files, doesn't require any extra software to transfer files and has a nice sort of 70's inspired black-orange matte aluminium case - unfortunately, the build quality is supposedly sub-Ipod/Zen Micro standard (which is why I haven't bought it yet as I cannot find it locally here in Denmark and see if I can live with the build quality) .. - I haven't decided yet and right now I'm checking out the Iriver H10, the Olympus M:robe (I like the design but apparently this has a "forced" software thing, too) and the new 3gb (maybe not quite enough) Philips HDD084 (hopefully better executed than its apparently awful predecessors (HDD060/065/070))... - So, basically, what I'm looking for (as a pc user with a quite large music collection) is a nice, minimalistic design (preferably with some metal involved) (completely subjective, I know - and design-wise, I prefer the Ipod mini over the zen micro), a simple user interface, a simple computer-player interface (meaning - no special software necessary for transfer), and a reasonable battery life - and, last but no least - a low failure percentage with the Gembird fiasco in mind... - I hope these considerations and thoughts sound at least somewhat sane and usable?

• Members

Originally posted by BOBA JFET

It is important to consider that (in general) girls really like iPods, but are totally indifferent towards
any
other portable music device, regardless of it's technological superiority.

:D

• Members

Ah the psyche of the young lady

"I can tell Brad Pitt is intelligent and sensitive (by his abs)"

The young man will be, perhaps, more forthright

"I like her ass...nice?!? sensitive?!? intelligent?!? I don't care...look at her ass!"

• Members

This is an interesting topic. I am in the market for an iPod or something that is "iPod-like." So please advise me on the best route. I am a PC user. It appears that the iPod is the one to beat, the industry standard.

I am not so familiar with the other options (iRiver, Rio, Zen). I went to the store the other day and was confounded by the various iPod offerings...Shuffle, Mini, U2 Version, etc. I bought nothing. I really don't want to spend $350 on something like this...but I would like to hold the majority of my CD collection on it. Help me spend my money! I have a big credit at Best Buy, but have not yet been there to look for MP3 players...

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Is there a way of preventing iTunes from adding music in certain sub-folders of 'My Music' (on the PC) without having to resort to manual updating of the ipod.

I'm fed up of doing manual updating of the ipod (I keep missing stuff), but I have some music stored in 'My Music' that I don't want on the ipod (my other half's music and my son's nursery rhymes etc - but we all listen and use this on the PC)

Archived