At 22, is it too late to learn how to play the trumpet or french horn?

• Members

I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with people that wanted to start learning one of these instruments at an age like mine. I do really like the way both instruments sound but I would go with the least expensive option I guess.

What would be your advice? Where should I start, any particular books, videos or should I just seek a teacher.

And what about buying used instruments vs new, is the price difference significant.

Thanks.

(I know I know that's a lot of questions...)

TS

• Members

Oh please, anyone can start any instrument at any age. My 60+ year old mom is just starting to learn sitar. All you need is the willingness to learn, the dedication, and the realization that it's gonna take many hours and many months of practice to even get to the point where you can stand to listen to yourself :)

That said. I'm a trumpet player, I don't know much about French horn, but I'm willing to bet my right nut that trumpet is a LOT less expensive. Probably easier to learn at first, too, because you're not playing up in the register where all the partials are close together (you don't understand what that means, but don't worry about it).

Definitely get a teacher. Unlike say piano or guitar or even drums, you need a teacher to look at how you're playing and hear what's coming out to give you advice. Where do you live?

Also, get an old used American-made trumpet. You can get a good one for $500-600, and it'll be every bit as good as a brand-new $1200 horn. Get one made in Elkhart Indiana or Michigan or something and you can't go wrong. Look for Conn, Besson, Bach, King, etc. and as long as the horn is structurally intact, don't worry about a 50 or 60 year old horn with a bit of tarnish. You can ask us here, there are a bunch of brass guys who'll be able to guide your purchase.

Finally, SBB is gonna suggest a Kanstul, but you can ignore him. AND DON'T EVER GET A JUPITER!!!!

:)

• Members

You should get a Kanstul [/whoring]

Or try an old Olds. Ambassadors and the like are great horns.

Trumpet is the less expensive of the two, between it and French Horn. Horns are sweet, but you have to be willing to spend that extra money to get a good one. Think maybe $400 more, minimum, for a horn of similar quality to a trumpet. Plus, most brass teachers are either low brass or trumpet, not a whole lot of French Horn teachers who started on that instrument.

• Members

According to the International Trumpet Guild, age 21 is the cutoff for learning trumpet. You just missed.

French horn? Have you seen all that tubing? No way you're going to learn to play that thing so late in life.

Have you considered something simple, like bongos? Harmonica, perhaps?

:D

If you are deeply committed to learning trumpet, you'll want to buy yourself a Monette Prana. Preferably new. Even better in gold plate. I guarantee you'll practice a lot more if you go $10,000+ in debt on a trumpet.

With Indo's advice about what to buy, since you're in Montreal, you'll probably want a French Besson not and English Besson.

• Members

hey The Slasher,

Go for it! You can definitely start trumpet past age 21 - I did, and I gig and record all the time. I'm going to have to have a serious chat with the International Trumpet Guild! :D

I agree with Indofunk's first post (the serious one :) ).

Also, I agree with sunburstbasser; my first trumpet was an Olds Ambassador I scored cheap at an estate sale. Very decent horn. I play a Yamaha Xeno now. Teacher, teacher,teacher! You need one-on-one interaction to help you, especailly with your embouchure develoment.

Oh, and I definitely second the trumpet vs. french horn. I love french horn, but I would start on trumpet.

Good luck!

Jim

BTW, you said at an age like mine, but - what age is that?

• Members

hey The Slasher,

Go for it! You can definitely start trumpet past age 21 - I did, and I gig and record all the time. I'm going to have to have a serious chat with the International Trumpet Guild!
:D
I agree with Indofunk's first post (the serious one
:)
).

Also, I agree with sunburstbasser; my first trumpet was an Olds Ambassador I scored cheap at an estate sale. Very decent horn. I play a Yamaha Xeno now. Teacher, teacher,teacher! You need one-on-one interaction to help you, especailly with your embouchure develoment.

Oh, and I definitely second the trumpet vs. french horn. I love french horn, but I would start on trumpet.

Good luck!

Jim

BTW, you said at an age like mine, but - what age is that?

So, basically, what you're saying ... lemme make sure I got this right ... I mean, the main nub of the gist of your post is ... to summarize as succinctly as possible ... is ... or rather would be ...

"+1"

right? :D

(and he said he's 22 ;) )

• Members

I've considered making a SPAM Sticky. If there are a few people-even 2 or 3-I'd put it up and let people all put their stuff in. If I'm the only one with horns to sell, I'd rather not do it.

For now, I'm just being a total ho.
:rolleyes:

Make the spam thread and spam yer fookin' warez already :mad:

I don't have any brass-related items to sell, and probably never will :o

I only buy and sell effects and guitars these days :o

• Members

Its documented that the human brain finds it harder to learn something "new" after some age. By new, I mean something like a new language, or something you've never tried before (computer programming, electronics repair, music, etc.). It is never impossible to take something up, but some things may not come as quickly as to an 11 year old.

And remember, our youth-oriented media is run by 40 year olds.;)

• Members

Its documented that the human brain finds it harder to learn something "new" after some age. By new, I mean something like a new language, or something you've never tried before (computer programming, electronics repair, music, etc.). It is never impossible to take something up, but some things may not come as quickly as to an 11 year old.

And remember, our youth-oriented media is run by 40 year olds.
;)

This is fact.

I am teaching myself guitar and have been at it for two years now. I am very content with what I can do, but I totally see the struggles I have to go through to get where I want to go. I find the hardest part is remembering everything. Just like a 10 year old in a new country, the kid will pick up the language without breaking a sweat, whereas someone over 20 will have a very rough time.

• Members

Not quite like learning a language. You already know the language of music, so there's a real quick learning curve. What I've found (I've played trumpet since 5th grade, started messing around on piano in high school, played congas and percussion in grad school, then took up guitar and bass pretty recently) is that it's really easy for me to sound "not bad" on a new instrument, but then taking it the next step to "good" is almost tougher because my ear tells me what I should be doing, but my fingers can't so I get frustrated and don't work on it. If I still had the discipline to practice scales and patterns and such for hours every day, I'd be good in no time.

Archived