My x0xb0x thread!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by urbanscallywag

Right. Well, with the 10k resistor in series. I studied them in school like this but I have no idea about the real world.

I think you're on to something with the grounding issue. They won't light without an external ground applied to at least 1 of the LEDs.

:)

Well, it depends on the PCB layout, but all of these look like they're on the same ground. So, if one's out, I'd imagine all of them are out. I was looking at LED 39 because you said in the other thread it is dim. But, I can't imagine why is the latch is good. Then again, as I said, having you DIRECTLY SOLDER ICs is not the wisest choice IMHO.

• Members

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

No, they aren't static. They move with the sequencer.

No no no no. Bare with me: I cut my teeth on OLD gear. LED arrays would be strobed like a LED digit is strobed. In other words, the latch is on and off on and off as opposed to just on. Forgive my non-technical explanation - I don't have any references open in front of me (out of sight out of mind).

The LED is strobed quickly enough that it looks on, hence the reason when the CPU is taxed on older synths the lights and digits sometimes seem to flicker.

• Members

All traces between IC8 and the resistors->LEDs are working. I applied 5V at each pin and gounded them, and they all lit (except for lucky number 39 ;)).

So there is a ground issue, at minimum.

What's weird is that even if the diode is grounded, it still doesn't respond to when the CPU should be telling it to turn on. So there's more than just a ground issue.

Or, perhaps IC8 isn't functioning right since its not grounded. Time to test for ground continuity.

• Members

Originally posted by sizzlemeister

No no no no. Bare with me: I cut my teeth on OLD gear. LED arrays would be strobed like a LED digit is strobed. In other words, the latch is on and off on and off as opposed to just on. Forgive my non-technical explanation - I don't have any references open in front of me (out of sight out of mind).

The LED is strobed quickly enough that it looks on, hence the reason when the CPU is taxed on older synths the lights and digits sometimes seem to flicker.

Ah, I know what you mean.

I believe these are static.

• Members
Originally posted by sizzlemeister

What's PIN 9 of IC8 doing on the PCB, is it grounded? IC8 is last in the chain, so I'd immediately suspect pin 9 from IC6 to 14 on IC8. Try jumping that to see. Everything else is serial and that's the only "unique" line relative to your issue here.

• Members

I went to Fry's for a new IC8. They didn't have it. Am I surprised? No. Why did I waste my time?

So now I'll do a mail order for a whole bunch of stuff. I was thinking of changing the color of accent and slide LEDs maybe. Or should I just do every 4th step? Or order super bright red as a replacement?

I'll probably order some Neutrik stuff, bending toys, LEDs, and the 74595.

So I guess I'll have a life for the next couple days...maybe I should do some cleaning. Nah. :D

• Members

I pulled the trigger on my x0x on Friday... now, the anticipation! I hope it's here by Friday the 19th... that's my birfday. :D

Did Limor e-mail you when your kit was actually shipped, or did you just pay and wait for the mail-person to bring you a surprise?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yay! I got a replacement latch IC (actually 2) from a fellow x0xb0xer in the mail today. I replaced IC 8 and the LEDs work now!

I still have to replace the slide (or accent) that I burned out. But, yay!

Unfortuately I scratched the face taking the knobs off, they really stick. Oh well, it was TOO mint to be in my posession before. Now it looks a bit more used. ;)

I want to play but I need some sleep.

• Members

Congratulations! I'm glad you got it up and running.

x0x 096 is in progress now; I'll probably have to wait until the weekend to finish it.

x0xprogress.jpg

edit: arg, that picture was huge! not what I expected; sorry...

Archived