My x0xb0x thread!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by urbanscallywag

Sorry if I seem over the top, I've never used a TB before either.

I better go to bed before I start crying out of bliss. x0xb0x+Logic's bass amp, stereo delay, and space designer...is making me...............WAAAAAAAAA CRAZZZZZZY!
:cool:

And I seriously can't wait to CV/gate my Odyssey with the x0xb0x slides. Evil. Eeeeeeeeeevilllllllllllll.

• Members

I happen to think the LEDs that are out are dead because the IC isn't kicking voltage to them. All 8 out LEDs are on the same IC. Everything looks fine, so I think its time for a new bootloader. Hope that fixes it. Unfortunately the software is very anal.

I also have to straighten out a lot of LEDs to put the cover on. :o

• Members

Originally posted by louvega

Post some audio demos, plz!

Yeah, WTF, are you just going to leave us here hanging?

BTW, that guest's advice seems very sound. I had an issue with my P600 when I was restoring it that was similar. I basically just replaced the CMOS and transistors in the entire circuit because, in contrast, I knew the data lines were good. If the PIC is good (have you confirmed this? We're talking a PICmicro microcontroller that is IC6 and IC8?) then the odds are good it's a bad trace either before or after the PIC. Most likely a data line, but if those LEDs are in serial then after the PIC is possible, too.

Anyway, DATA lines, if fuxored, will cause freaky issues like this. I learned this all too well from the P600 project - along with learning I need to get myself a scope if I'm going to get my hands dirty like that again.

• Members

what would cause something like that? bad solder joints or something else? that's one thing that scares me about these diy projects (especially the stories about paia gear, etc needing all sorts of calibrations and testing after assembly). i'm sure i could build it but would have no idea of what to do if something wasn't right.

• Members

Typically if you suspect a data line I think the first thing you do is check solder joints. Then you check the components on either side of the line. Then, if neither of those do it, THEN you look at the trace. You really don't want to mess with traces because usually they're okay (Polysixes notwithstanding).

An easy way to test a trace is simply to jump it.

• Members

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

IC8 is a latch. The AVR (not PIC I was mistaken) seems to be fine. I can't update software so...

I checked joints of the IC, resistors, and LEDs. I'm probing around now...

Alright, yeah so I don't know the circuit. So there's a latch, then what? A cmos inverter/driver or something for each LED? Or do they have their own transistors?

• Members

Originally posted by sizzlemeister

Typically if you suspect a data line I think the first thing you do is check solder joints. Then you check the components on either side of the line. Then, if neither of those do it, THEN you look at the trace. You really don't want to mess with traces because usually they're okay (Polysixes notwithstanding).

An easy way to test a trace is simply to jump it.

And also resort to this:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/files/mainboard_beta.png

• Members
Originally posted by sizzlemeister

SEE! I'm not an EE, but I've rarely seen a synth-oriented circuit where the LEDs aren't driven somehow. These are just feeding straight off the 5v line, yes?

Right. Well, with the 10k resistor in series. I studied them in school like this but I have no idea about the real world.

I think you're on to something with the grounding issue. They won't light without an external ground applied to at least 1 of the LEDs.

:)

Archived