First post in the kbd forum: Jam/Backing track. Warning: Jazz content ;)

Red Ant

• Members

First, turn down the volume of those snare and kick drum punches way down, they are so annoying at that level I can barely listen to the other things going on. And they happen way way too frequently, get rid of 95% of them. AND completely cut out all the cymball crashes. Let the ride cymbal do most of it. And turn down the piano comping chords, also too busy. Don't quantize when tracking jazz.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz+

First, turn down the volume of those snare and kick drum punches way down, they are so annoying at that level I can barely listen to the other things going on. And they happen way way too frequently, get rid of 95% of them. AND completely cut out all the cymball crashes. Let the ride cymbal do most of it. And turn down the piano comping chords, also too busy. Don't quantize when tracking jazz.

Anything positive to say?

• Members

I like the guitar work- nice phrasings and stuff, and I like the tone. Good ideas on the piano solo, just a little stiff, like you are trying too hard to make it swing instead of letting it swing itself. The BT sounds like, well, a BT. No harm no foul there. Overall a nice job.

• Members

Originally posted by Red Ant

My dessecration of my favorite Miles tune. Backing track included
;)

Lights - Take

Lights - BT

Feel free to rip me a new one - my jazz chops are seriously lacking
:)

The bass and piano are from my Kurzweil K2000, the drums are my own samples.

What are you doing here? :eek: I mean, you are supposed to churn out the funk at the amp forum ... ;)

Anyway, the idea of actually recording a solo to your backing track still has to catch on in this forum ;)

Me?

I won't participate, because i can't play keys - but i say:

Let those that talk the talk, walk the walk :D

• Moderators

Originally posted by Jazz+

There is no quantizing on anything but drums. I hear you on the drums - i wanted a brush kit but didn't have one handy :(

• Moderators

Originally posted by Roald

I liked it, nice playing! True, it sounds a tad artificial due to the quatization but the nice soloing still shines through. Keep it coming. Are you also playing the guitar?

Yes, also playing guitar :)

• Members

Listened to the track, here are my thoughts:

+'s

Liked the piano and guitar solos. Nice comping chords on the piano. Nice chops, I would definitely keep it up;)

-'s

Didn't like the flow of the track, seems a little too busy with the cymbal crashes and bass drum hits. I just didn't feel that rhythm with all that going on in the background. The left-hand piano comping seemed too mechanical and not as fluid(was that quantized?). The piano gets a little loud at times and should come down a touch during the guitar solo.

Overall, nice:)

Tuck

• Members

Besides avoiding those snare/ cymbal punches, or at least turn them way down, here is another tip to make it sound better: the bass shold be a little more in front of the beat (it's sounds like it might be dragging). In many great jazz rhythm sections, like Miles' quintets, the bass should be the instrument most in front of the beat, the drums on the beat and the other instruments slightly behind (each has its own "pocket").

Sort of like this:

Bass: front side of beat (almost rushing)

Drums: on top of beat

Melody/comp: backside of beat (almost dragging)

Also, I cant really hear (feel) the ride cymbal in your mix which is very important for the finesse of the swing.

PS, which model piano are we hearing? Did you record all the piano parts at once?

Archived