Help me, I just bought I Kyma.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by aeon

looks like an older chassis that was upgraded to a 320.

does it even come with any DSP cards, I wonder?

hmm,

Ian

This was stupid, I almost think I'm going to have to soil my eBay name and take the negative feedback.

{censored}.

By the way, you're right about that refurbed old model.

• Members

Oh, man, seriously the dumbest thing I've done in awhile. :(

I wrote her a nice email telling that the item wasn't actually a 320, its an LS.

http://www.symbolicsound.com/cgi-bin/bin/view/Products/CapyLuckyStudent

I mentioned that and hoped that we could do something about it. I hope I don't get a negative NON PAYING BIDDER!

It was misrepresented though, it said 320!

Thankfully, my PayPal account is intact. :D

• Members

looks like it was stolen. ;)

if i were looking for high-powered DSP synth/fx hardware i'd probably rather have an Eventide DSP series unit and a Nord Modular G2x.

the kyma is most useful when you only want to use it for _one_ thing. i've never owned one but a close friend had a ridiculously high powered Kyma system and i think i had to put up with about 4 months of phone calls bitching about not being able to do what he wanted to with it until he sold it and rolled his own software solution.

there's a guy (dennis is i think his name) who wrote a series of looping extensions for it. i can see buying one as a dedicated looper ... but you'd still need a computer and a MIDI controller to use it.

if additive morphing synthesis is your thing though, the Kyma is the only game in town.

• Members

Tis tis the bottom line! Hopefully they'll understand that.

I know I could have been satisfied with other DSPs, but if it were a 320 even after buying the Firewire interface I could dump it for the same price after I decided I didn't like it. :)

Stroooooopid. Yes. Let this topic die. I'll gain control of myself. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by urbanscallywag

I'd rather GAS for a Nord Modular and H3000. He's right.
:o

it would sound better, be more flexible, and wouldn't require a computer to use at a gig.

i'm not really into the nord stuff, but _man_ that g2x is sexy.

jim bought one. i thought it sounded _really_ good.

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

looks like it was stolen.
;)

if i were looking for high-powered DSP synth/fx hardware i'd probably rather have an Eventide DSP series unit and a Nord Modular G2x.

the kyma is most useful when you only want to use it for _one_ thing. i've never owned one but a close friend had a ridiculously high powered Kyma system and i think i had to put up with about 4 months of phone calls bitching about not being able to do what he wanted to with it until he sold it and rolled his own software solution.

there's a guy (dennis is i think his name) who wrote a series of looping extensions for it. i can see buying one as a dedicated looper ... but you'd still need a computer and a MIDI controller to use it.

if additive morphing synthesis is your thing though, the Kyma is the only game in town.

I have a Kyma, and I've used a G2. There is simply no comparison. If you want easy analog, modular emulation, get a G2. But for a sound design, compositional system, with sample mangling, fx, and MIDI, there is simply no comparison between the 2 systems. And the Kyma has way better sound quality.

You'll probably still want a MIDI sequencer, and other tools. Just as if you had a G2, you would probably want other tools - do you work with samples, for instance?

Archived