1979 Hiwatt DR103 100 watt head

Dr. Tweedbucket

• Members

This vintage Hiwatt is in excellent condition overall. The amp was manufactured by Harry Joyce and team for Hylite Electronics in the Kingston Factory. SN is 14,xxx which makes it a 1979. The inspection tag inside the chassis backs it up. This amp is towards the last of the Hylite factory PTP turret board amps. Bicrown took over building the amps in late 1980 and the design changed to circuit boards. The only modification on this particular amp is a bias circuit installation and 2 caps replaced. The bias circuit is a nice feature to have considering vacuum tubes are not as well made and robust as they used to be. All the original mil spec wiring is in place as well as the original Partridge transformers.

Vintage Hiwatts are loud, clean and transparent. It will not lie to you about your guitar wood, pickups, strings and your playing. It is VERY well balanced, detailed and articulate. When the preamp is turned up, all HELL breaks loose and the best sounding crunch on the Planet is at your command ! Pete Townsend and David Gilmore's had some of the best tone going with these Hiwatt amps. I think Free used them too.

This DR103 loves pedals too. A tube screamer and delay pedal go great together with the amp and add another dimension.

I was so amazed with this amp that I bought another just to have another in case it blew up or the supply dries up, but it never blew up and now it's time to simplify and thin the collection. I was right, the supply has been somewhat drying up .....there used to be alot of these on ebay, but not so much anymore.

The tubes are a brand new quad Ruby EL34s. I still have the boxes for them....and they only have about 2-3 hours total on them. The preamp tubes are older, but in good condition. The case has the original tolex, and is in good condition, but there is some wear on a couple of the corners.

This amp is a good investment. They are going up in price every year, so you can basically buy this amp, play it and then eventually make a few bucks on it. Not a bad deal.

The amp will be professionally packed. I pack with high density foam and double box.

$1475 shipped to the lower 48 States. I will post detailed pictures later today.

PM me if interested.

Archived