The Cantos Music Foundation, keyboard heaven!

Rocksnob

• Members

One of the few moments in my life when I was actually overjoyed to live where I do was several years ago when I learnt of the existence of the Cantos Music Foundation and Museum, and their spectaular, open to the public (viewings available by appointment, 9-5 mon-fri), keyboard collection. Why, if that didn't exist, I would never have had the chance to play on Roger Luther's towering modular moog, a limited edition blue George Gershwin commemorative Steinway, a Minimoog D serial number 1, Baldwin Harpsichord Combo, several Mellotrons, Combo Organs and Hammonds galore, a Kimball theatre organ, a Bosendorfer, Hammond Novachord, Patrick Moraz's double Minimoog, a Buchla Series 100, an oddly functional CS-80, a Clav, Wurly, CP-70 and so much more all in the space of two hours.

I try and visit as often as I can, it is a truely wonderous place, being able to see such a history of keyboards in one place, being able to touch and play them, experience them (well, the ones that are robust enough to allow for it at least). Anyone living near Calgary Alberta, Canada, I strongly urge you to visit, for the rest of you, here is a lovely virtual tour which allows you to see quite a bit of their collection in a very nicely presented format.

http://www.triumphent.com/collection/virtualtours.html

God that is such a damn cool place.

In addition they have an absolutely terrific tech and a fully equipped service center to fix and maintain those tricky vintage keys.

• Members

Originally posted by pB0t

I have lived in Calgary almost all my life and still never checked it out.

I am an idiot that way I guess.

ooh, you must visit, it's $5, you call for an appointment and it takes about two hours (1.5 maybe) to tour. If you are lone or with a very small group it allows for a much better experience and more time to noodle around on different instruments.

Fear My Potato, of course they watch you, they wouldn't leave someone alone in a room that contains a 400 year old $800,000 harpsichord ;)

Archived