Are they ever going to remake the clavinet?

Alex D

• Members

Originally posted by Fear My Potato

It's an issue of the processing power of synthesizers getting more powerful and economical to handle more little tiny things.

yeah but what about the whole, you know, being able to move the clavinet to change the feedback, the impact of room humidity on feedback, position, etc

tonewheels are child's play, DSPally speaking. it's an oscillator bank and some matrixed gating.

• Members

Originally posted by ChipCurtis

Of all the sounds that synthesizers try/tried to emulate, the clav seemed the easiest to do.

You gotta be kidding. I don't think you ever PLAYED a REAL clavinet. I used to own one until recently. It is one of the most elusive sounds to emulate, very few boards nail it.

• Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

You gotta be kidding. I don't think you ever PLAYED a REAL clavinet. I used to own one until recently. It is one of the most elusive sounds to emulate, very few boards nail it.

[RANT]

With regard to waveform/harmonics complexity, it's a HELL of a lot easier to emulate a Clav convincingly than an acoustic piano ever will be. Hey, if you want the 'real feel, air pushing thru the mechanisms, etc.' then just buy a real one and be done with it. People will forever be complaining about digital keyboards' inability to do just about anything, yet they are being sold in the hundreds of thousands every year. Why the constant whining and complaining? Just buy the vintage gear.

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, but I think some of the opinions on this board with regard to vintage gear/sounds are just getting more and more silly. People who own tons of keyboard gear, always lusting after that 'holy grail' that will never exist. Those imperfections of the old electromechanical keyboards were roundly cursed in their day -- if they had the technology to eliminate 'slop' factors, they would have certainly done so, and we would have no imperfections to emulate because nobody would have ever heard them in the first place. Hey, maybe the original Clavinet really DID NOT have enough slop factor, it COULD have been better (more unreliable, more sloppy, more prone to humid conditions!!!).

Why not? You all seem to want that stuff, so pile on the imperfections! Hey, how about a new workstation that doesn't even work, because under certain humid conditions, all the circuitry stops functioning! Hey, it's vintage baby! Vintage stuff is supposed to be prone to failure! Long hail imperfections!

QUOTE: "yeah but what about the whole, you know, being able to move the clavinet to change the feedback, the impact of room humidity on feedback, position, etc"

....... GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK!!!!! :rolleyes:

[/RANT]

• Members

Originally posted by ChipCurtis

[RANT]

With regard to waveform/harmonics complexity, it's a HELL of a lot easier to emulate a Clav convincingly than an acoustic piano ever will be. Hey, if you want the 'real feel, air pushing thru the mechanisms, etc.' then just buy a real one and be done with it. People will forever be complaining about digital keyboards' inability to do just about anything, yet they are being sold in the hundreds of thousands every year. Why the constant whining and complaining? Just buy the vintage gear.

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, but I think some of the opinions on this board with regard to vintage gear/sounds are just getting more and more silly. People who own tons of keyboard gear, always lusting after that 'holy grail' that will never exist. Those imperfections of the old electromechanical keyboards were roundly cursed in their day -- if they had the technology to eliminate 'slop' factors, they would have certainly done so, and we would have no imperfections to emulate because nobody would have ever heard them in the first place. Hey, maybe the original Clavinet really DID NOT have enough slop factor, it COULD have been better (more unreliable, more sloppy, more prone to humid conditions!!!).

Why not? You all seem to want that stuff, so pile on the imperfections! Hey, how about a new workstation that doesn't even work, because under certain humid conditions, all the circuitry stops functioning! Hey, it's vintage baby! Vintage stuff is supposed to be prone to failure! Long hail imperfections!

QUOTE: "yeah but what about the whole, you know, being able to move the clavinet to change the feedback, the impact of room humidity on feedback, position, etc"

....... GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK!!!!!
:rolleyes:

[/RANT]

ROFLMAO!!!:D :D

Killer post!

• Members

Quite a silly rant that's rife with really weak logic. Suggesting that the imperfections weren't desirable or intended back in the day and thus aren't good is really missing the point-the vintage sounds were great in part BECAUSE of the imperfections, and it matters not in the least whether these were intentional. All that matters is that the sounds were great, and quite a bit better than the lame emulations foisted on the masses. To suggest an extreme, of creating more imperfections as you're saying-what the hell has that to do with it. The sounds were superb as they were.

To suggest that today's ok emulations are good enough is ridiculous-speak only for yourself, or for those who agree with you, but don't go off on silly tangents in speaking for everyone, including the many who have heard the real deal, and can tell the difference, which often translates into different ways of playing, BTW. Maybe we just have better hearing, or care more about nuance. I don't give a sh-- how many thousands are sold, any more than i care how many have eaten at Mcdonald's-some of us are more discriminating than you.

The piano and clav comparison's also ludicrous-no one compared the two, until you, and that comparison has nothing to do with creation of the complexity of a real clav in comparison to the so-so, fairly simplistic emulations. Duh.

That's the reality, rather than your own interpretation of it.

And i'm not interested in always going back to old equipment, as you suggest. That is YOUR dumb suggestion. What is needed is midi-ready, reliable, and much smaller/lighter current versions. That's what those of us who want something better want, not your simplistic black or white solutions.

• Members

Originally posted by analogbasss

Quite a silly rant that includes really poor logic. Basically suggesting that the imperfections weren't desirable back in the day and thus aren't desirable. Not. Fact is, the vintage sounds were great in part BECAUSE of the imperfections, and it matters not even a bit whether they were intentional. The end result, that included imperfections, just sounded great, period. To suggest an extreme, to go to more imperfections as you're saying, really, who suggests this other than you? Really beside the point.

To suggest that today's ok emulations are good enough is ridiculous-speak for yourself, or for those who agree with you, but don't go off on silly tangents in speaking for everyone, including the many who have heard the real deal, and can tell the difference, which often translates into different ways of playing, BTW.

Oh, and the piano analogy's also silly-no one compared the two, until you. One being more complex than the other doesn't mean that either is easy to emulate. Duh.

That's the reality, rather than your own interpretation of it..

I am not speaking for everybody, where did I say that? It's my opinion. But you do have a lot of revisionist history in your post. The music back then was great because the music ITSELF was great, and the tools were just the only things around to create them with. Our reverence and romanticism for those sounds is just hindsight, after the fact. Focusing on the sounds themselves is just an excuse to create bad or forgettable music. Having the vintage sound, in and of itself, won't save your music.

Hypothetical quote from 1968: "I'd take a real Harpsichord over this Clavinet imitation any day". Now, in that sentence, just replace Harpsichord with 'Clavinet' and Clavinet with 'Digital Workstation' and you have a modern interpretation of the same sentence. History repeats itself, but we are often oblivious to history as we revel in current fashions.

I have a Rhodes 73 - I know the real deal - and wouldn't suggest that even an Oasys could touch its exact sound - nothing ever will - so then let the Rhodes be the Rhodes and let the synth/workstation be what it is too, they are all valid musical instruments in their own right. Maybe I like the Rhodes emulation from a digital synth better than the actual Rhodes, for certain tracks. It has a different character, and has a right to be seen as its own distinct sound, even if it's an attempted emulation. After alll, the Rhodes was an attempted emulation of a piano itself.

And please stop re-editing your post. It seems to be getting more vitriolic with each edit.

• Members

Wrong again.

The music was great because of a confluence of events-the music, the instruments, the politics, the musicians and their musical roots, etc. It wasn't ONE thing, but rather a melange of factors, as is often the case with greatness.

As far as it being your opinion, you're stating this now, after the fact.

You just learned something.

• Members

Rather than further finger-pointing on your part, which you're fond of, wrap your mind around concepts that you don't agree with that may actually enlighten you.

The sound of the instruments was DEFINITELY part of the magic, intentionally or not. Many of the great 60s rock songs used an organ because there wasn't much else to use as an alternative, but the end result just sounded right.

• Members

Originally posted by analogbasss

Rather than further finger-pointing on your part, which you're fond of, wrap your mind around concepts that you don't agree with that may actually enlighten you.

The sound of the instruments was DEFINITELY part of the magic, intentionally or not. Many of the great 60s rock songs used an organ because there wasn't much else to use as an alternative, but the end result just sounded right.

Oh, okay, great sage, as I see there are no more concepts for you to learn since you seem to know everything there is to know.

Whether it was organ or toy piano, it would have still sounded great for the music piece it was. You are only left to deal with the scraps of history, and agree that they were great. But the organ wasn't the reason.

• Members

Your weak logic is frightening. You make these grandiose blanket statements as if you're the last word.

You have absolutely NO way of knowing whether a facsimilie of a real instrument would have worked as well in a song. There is NO way to separate those variables, genius. You are speculating, making assumptions.

• Members

Analogbass makes a good point, though. The way music is made is a complex interaction between player and instrument, so someone playing a clavinet emulation is going to play differently than someone playing the real thing. I think this is an inescapable fact. And it's even that way with digital instruments.

And it's actually a very cool thing.

Must go...

• Members

Originally posted by elcastigo

Analogbass makes a good point, though. The way music is made is a complex interaction between player and instrument, so someone playing a clavinet emulation is going to play differently than someone playing the real thing. I think this is an inescapable fact. And it's even that way with digital instruments.

And it's actually a very cool thing.

Must go...

EXACTLY

That right there is the inherent difference between an instrument and a keyboard.

Archived