Suggest me a Synth

kenm

• Members

Hi,

I play drums in a band and am looking to add some synth sounds. I tried my Casio SK1 last week, and a Roland SH101 this week. I think I need something like the SH101 but with presets and possibly polyphonic. I like the analog sound though, and would like to stay with those types. I am mostly adding some bass and melodic lines.

I'd rather the Korg MS2000 than the MicroKorg, but would like to stay in that $300-$500 range. Besides the Micron, is there some other synths I should check out?

Thanks!

Ken

• Members

You could check out the Juno 6/60/106. They're all extremely similar to the SH-101 in terms of synth architecture and they use the same filter chips. They're polyphonic and the 60/106 have patch memory. They also have Chorus which the SH-101 lacks, but the SH-101 has somewhat of a richer sound and is better for leads and basses if that's what you're after.

If you're looking at VA (which I'm assuming you are since you mentioned the MS2000/MK), the Alesis ION would probably be a damn good choice if you can swing it, it's scraping the upper limit of your budget if you buy used. Actually, there are many VAs that are within your budget (used).

Yamaha AN1x

Nord Lead

Novation Nova (maybe even a supernova rack?)

MS2000

JP-8000

Korg Z1

Probably a bunch more

Seriously, they all sound awesome in their own way and you would probably be happy with any of them. I'd say the AN1x is your cheapest option (I also really like it's sound, but it probably has the least friendly interface of all mentioned), the Z1 has the most sound sculpting possibilites (perhaps even more than you'd be comfortable with, so beware), the Nord Lead is a champ when it comes to performance, immediacy, and a really forward sound (no built-in fx is the main complaint, plus the NL2 is probably out of your reach). The JP-8000 is mostly known for it's supersaw sound (think huge lead melodic sounds like in every trance track in the late 90s). The Nova has a very smooth, 'liquid' sound which many people like a lot but some don't care for much. The MS2000 is also really performance-friendly and the mod sequencer is really cool. The main complaint is that 4 voice polyphony isn't really enough for big pads and chords.

• Members

Originally posted by grumphh

Just to prevent anyone from buying a Juno 6 for the patch memory. (Especially since the thread starter is a drummer...
:D
)

It is the 60 and 106 that have patch memory - the Juno 6 does not have any memory.

;)

Oops! I totally meant the 60/106 have patch memory.

• Members

Awesome. The piano player in the band has a Juno 106. It is sweet. I think VA (virtual analog?) is the way to go. Something SH101 sized is also essential as I will mostly play one-handed with the keyboard to my left next to the highhat.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will start checking them out.

Ken

Archived