What killed Waldorf?

louvega

• Members

I've searched the forum posts but havent found an answer. What made Waldorf go bankrupt? Was it bad sales? bad management decisions?

Also, does someone have a buglist of the micro Q, the Q and the microwave in all its versions? I'm thinking in getting one of those, but I'm afraid of buggy products after some horrible experiences.

Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, a lot of people think it was the AFB16 analog filter bank, a plug in for computers that combined real analog hardware with a software interface.... talk about overestimating the market for a product like that.

While not bug free, the MicroQ is very usable. Not sure that I personally have run into any bugs, all I know is I wouldn't give up my MicroQ for anything... except maybe a Q+ :p

drfuzz

• Members

I was actually pretty GASsed about that filterbank, being so cool with just an usb port and integration with VSTi's and stuff, but then I saw the pricetag: 1600 euro's!

I suppose the time wasn't there yet for the AFB16, cause I think it is actually a very useful and powerful tool.

• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

that and most of their stuff was overrated and was released with buggy OS's

overated?? I dont think my Q is overated at all....I think its a very versativle synth....and besides, they are not the only synth/os releaseed with bugs...when A6 was first released....it had bugs too. But I hardly think their stuff is overated...I like it.

• Members

I believe what started getting them in hot water was the Q synthesizer, not the Micro Q. From what I hear, the Q took a long time to develop, and it put quite a financial burden on the company to turn a larger profit or face insolvency.

The AFB16 was just spinning the Q's analog filter board into its own product, trying to recoup some investment.

• Members

1. Too early release of the Q with associated negative reviews that lingered in people's minds long after those early release issues had been addressed with OS updates.

2. Lack of bugfixes for their products when competitors released bugfixes quickly after bugs were found.

3. Development of the AFB16, and for that matter, the Q+.

4. Attitude toward customers.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Originally posted by aeon

1. Too early release of the Q with associated negative reviews that lingered in people's minds long after those early release issues had been addressed with OS updates.

2. Lack of bugfixes for their products when competitors released bugfixes quickly after bugs were found.

3. Development of the AFB16, and for that matter, the Q+.

4. Attitude toward customers.

cheers,

Ian

Attitude towards customers? I always found their attitude to be great, and they were one of the most communicative of companies.

• Members

While not bug free, the MicroQ is very usable. Not sure that I personally have run into any bugs, all I know is I wouldn't give up my MicroQ for anything... except maybe a Q+
:p

The problem was the initial OS's of the Q especially were very buggy and the initial OS's of the other products were not that great either.

I suppose the time wasn't there yet for the AFB16, cause I think it is actually a very useful and powerful tool.

With analog inputs and outputs it would have been a reasonable product (not great) if it was about 1/2 the price they were asking for it. As it is it was a terrible product with built in obsolecene that would have required waldorf to rewrite the drivers for every new version of windows and it is essentially useless live without a pc. Then the best they had for it was a vst filter and filters for the ppg wave 2.v. Not much content there either.

I still think that waldorf gear in general other than the wave/microwave/xt are over-rated. I don't see the Q as standing out over the virus, nord, or supernova's. I'm not saying it's bad, just saying it's not really anything special that there are not plenty of alternative for.

• Members

Originally posted by droolmaster0

I always found their attitude to be great, and they were one of the most communicative of companies.

lucky you.

my friend jim had a MicroQ which failed _well_ within warranty and over a year before their insolvancy. he sent it off for warranty repair and it is STILL gone.

• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

I still think that waldorf gear in general other than the wave/microwave/xt are over-rated. I don't see the Q as standing out over the virus, nord, or supernova's. I'm not saying it's bad, just saying it's not really anything special that there are not plenty of alternative for.

Well, fortunately, there are a lot of overrated people who believe that the Q provides greater sound manipulation possibilities, and sounds better than the above.

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

lucky you.

my friend jim had a MicroQ which failed _well_ within warranty and over a year before their insolvancy. he sent it off for warranty repair and it is STILL gone.

Ouch. I'm just basing my experience on their presence on the Waldorf mailing list. They were always very available there.

• Members

Bad decisions did it in for Waldorf. No more and no less. Roland lost millions for the same reason.

Personally, I didn't think Waldorf synths were worth owning. I came across too many bad stories about the OS but folks praised the sound so I thought I'd wait until all the OS bugs were fixed, but instead of focusing on getting their line of synths stable, they decided to create more new products. Bad decision IMHO.

Enforce your user base and they will sell synths for you.

Waldorf's bread winners were the Q and XT(k). Focus on these should have been made. The Q+ and the AFB were a waste of money IMHO, when you have analog filter products from Sherman, Akai, etc. They tried to bag on the "gimmick" of real analog and failed.

the analog improvements in the Q and the AFB were not necessary. The company lost focus.

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

lucky you.

hmmm, I bought a MicroQ on sQueelBay and it had one of those conference type paper name tags stuck on it that says,

My Name Is

--- Jim ----

• Members

Originally posted by MuzikB

Bad decisions did it in for Waldorf. No more and no less. Roland lost millions for the same reason.

Personally, I didn't think Waldorf synths were worth owning. I came across too many bad stories about the OS but folks praised the sound so I thought I'd wait until all the OS bugs were fixed, but instead of focusing on getting their line of synths stable, they decided to create more new products. Bad decision IMHO.

Enforce your user base and they will sell synths for you.

Waldorf's bread winners were the Q and XT(k). Focus on these should have been made. The Q+ and the AFB were a waste of money IMHO, when you have analog filter products from Sherman, Akai, etc. They tried to bag on the "gimmick" of real analog and failed.

the analog improvements in the Q and the AFB were not necessary. The company lost focus.

The notion that any of the Waldorf synths are too buggy to use is pretty ridiculous, I think. I think that there are a few bugs that were never fixed, especially on the XT, but if you look at the Pulse, Microwave, Microwave II, XT and Q, that's a pretty impressive lineup. And while people criticised them for not finishing the Wave, people still pay several thousand dollars for them. Wouldn't mind having one myself.

Archived