Thoughts on the new Depeche Mode stuff?

ExplodingBoy

• Members

You know, I have resisted the temptation to download PTA from the usual sources, I guess mostly because I am impressed by what I hear from "Precious" and am looking forward to the surprise. It's been a long time since I looked forward to buying an album (CD, whatever) on the day it came out and I want to savor this one. I did do the preorder on iTunes to get in on the ticket presales, but I am actually gonna go to the store and physically pick up a "real copy" when it hits the shelves. Sort of a tradition/special occasion kind of thing that I don't really want to break with. Goofy? Yeah... Traditional? Yeah... Hell, I did this with all the rest of them though, so why stop now?

I *am* kinda disappointed at the whirlwind warm-up "minitour" that they are doing for the US. I guess they haven't seen the rest of the world for a while and wanted to travel? Anyway, I've got my floor seats for Phoenix and another pair for the first Webmley show :D. Whether or not my wife and I actually end up across the pond for that one is still up in the air, but I figured it was a good idea to get tickets anyway just in case ;) I very much hope that the boys will decide that the US didn't get enough attention and come back later in '06 to do some more dates. Time will tell, but I bet they'd do pretty well with another leg.

Then again, the stress might cause one of the band members to have a breakdown and another to leave the band forever...seems to me that's kinda par for their really long tours, come to think of it :p

Thanks!

bax

• Members

That's cool - I'm not gonna be disappointed if they are going forward, even by just a little bit. I wasn't real happy with either Ultra or Exciter, but this sounds like there might be some more potential there. Ultra was "forced" IMHO in that fact that they felt they needed to do something without Alan and it just didn't do it for me. Exciter could have been better (and if Freelove would have been more upbeat tempo-wise it would have hit in a *big* way).

I do have to say that Precious will easily make it onto my "mix discs" for the car or whatever and that's good enough for me to give the rest of PTA a chance. I really tried with the previous two albums and just really couldn't get there. They were definitely not something I could listen to all the way through without skipping tracks...

Anyway, it's probably a miracle that they managed to get this album made as a group, and my hope is that this does well enough to persuade them not to throw in the towel and keep going at it. Solo-wise, I think they have the Rolling Stones syndrome and I hope they have realized that. I just wish there was some way for Alan to be involved again, but I guess that subject has been beaten beyond recongition at this point...

Thanks!

bax

• Members

I got 7th row right next to the stage at the Patriot Center show! That's the last show on the US leg of the tour too and on a Friday night which rules in a lot of ways. Maybe they'll pull out some stops. How are their shows material wise? I really hope they play a good mix of the older stuff too. DO they usually?

• Members

They worked in quite a bit of stuff on the Exciter tour, so I am hopeful for this tour as well. They are going to do a "kick-ass" version of Photographic, a "radically re-worked version" of ETS and a "Martin surprise" song that hasn't been performed in any of the last three tours. I'm hoping for either "The Things You Said" or "Blue Dress" myself, and there has been a lot of discussion on the subject of guestimated/predicted setlists over at the Empty World forums:

Thread here

Looks like Dave will be doing more backup vocals for the Martin led songs, which hopefully means no gospel choirs this time out. Not that it was bad, but I prefer to hear just the guys - just my preference...

I'm excited, and I think this is going to be a great tour. Just wish there was gonna be more of it in the States!

Thanks!

bax

• Members

(and if Freelove would have been more upbeat tempo-wise it would have hit in a *big* way).

Agreed. This is true of a lot of the post-Wilder songs. Martin leans toward composing slow ballads. They have catchy hooks and great lyrics, but the sound and the beat is lacking. The danceable beats and synth power usually come from other people - Flood, Francois Kervorkian, Alan, etc.

I just wish there was some way for Alan to be involved again, but I guess that subject has been beaten beyond recongition at this point...

Until they can release an album that competes with Some Great Reward, Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, Violator or Songs of Faith and Devotion - the subject of making albums, without Alan, will continue.

I never even cared for the Vince Clarke stuff. My favorite song from the Speak and Spell album is the live version of Gore's Tora Tora Tora. Really good. You can find it on the Get The Balance Right single (Disc #7 of the singles collection).

Anyway, it was Wilder's arrangements and sonic influence that really made me a fan. I prefer his live mix of Songs of Faith and Devotion over the actual album. Did you ever hear his remix of Fly on the Windscreen? Excellent! Three of my favorite songs are from that CD - Higher Love (my all time favorite song), I Feel You (throb mix), and the live mix of Mercy in You.

I like some of the Recoil stuff, like Black Box ("complete" - from the Jezebel single), Shunt and Faith Healer. But, without Martin Gore, Wilder lacks lyrical substance and direction. Without Wilder, Depeche Mode lacks sonic power. I REALLY liked It's No Good, though.

They are still capable of good music, so Depeche remains my favorite band. I do look forward to the new album. I've only heard Precious, which I thought was pretty good. Like some others said, I'm going to wait for the surprise of it all, and just pick up the CD.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike Conway

Until they can release an album that competes with Some Great Reward, Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, Violator or Songs of Faith and Devotion - the subject of making albums, without Alan, will continue.

...But, without Martin Gore, Wilder lacks lyrical substance and direction. Without Wilder, Depeche Mode lacks sonic power.

Couldn't agree more. BC is my favorite album, and SOFAD is right behind it. They seem to hold to a mood/theme in texture and lyrics that just makes listening to either one straight through more of an "experience" than just a string of tracks. IMHO, that more than anything is what is lacking in their post-Wilder efforts.

Not a huge Recoil fan either (although I hear tell that he is at work again after a pretty decent break) but Slick sure can set a sonic "mood" :D Combined with Mart's songwriting, they were unstoppable. They are certainly getting back on the right track and I am very heartened by what I have seen/heard so far from PTA.

I have a lot of hope that this is going to be the beginnings of an upward trend for them if they decide to stick things out after this album/tour. I *really* hope so, but things have been awfully tense over the last year or two and I just don't know if they enjoy being together and making music anymore. I guess I'd have to "try walking in their shoes" to know whether or not any of that is true, but I really hope this isn't the end of the line...

Thanks!

bax

• Members

I don't think I could toss any of my DM CD's. Were some of them different than what I expected? Yes. Are there a few songs on each that I could probably do without? Yes. But when I really think about it, there are some real gems on each and every release. I like how they have grown and evolved while still staying true to their essence, rather than just doing the exact same thing over and over again.

I thought Exciter was a very strong release, and showed a lot of maturity. Sure, it was a bit more laid-back, but I don't think they should be obligated to always put out a dance album. And for all of SOFAD's strong points, there are a couple of tracks there that don't really do it for me.

I DO really miss Alan Wilder's production influence. A LOT.

Overall, they're an amazing group with an amazing history. For some people, it's the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, or perhaps U2. For me, it's Depeche Mode.

Oh, and back on topic - can't wait to hear the rest of the CD. I picked up Precious (the remixes) off of iTunes last night, and I haven't found a loser in the bunch yet! I'll be headed to the Chicago show later this year.

• Members

I thought Exciter was a very strong release, and showed a lot of maturity. Sure, it was a bit more laid-back, but I don't think they should be obligated to always put out a dance album.

Yes, it was decent. I'm not saying that EXCITER should have been a dance album, but they were trying to be upbeat with "I Feel Love" and it was sonically lacking. Kind of ashame, because, musically, it's a GREAT song. The sounds seemed cheap and cheesy, on that one.

I feel that some songs, like Comatose, are disjointed. For me, they don't have a good blend of sounds. The song Shine starts of really good, but then it has that forced beat thrown into it, at the end. A different perspective on arrangement could have helped those.

I do like I Am You, Breathe, Freelove and even The Dead Of Night - especially from the live Paris DVD. (Christian Eigner's drums add a lot of movement to their act.) Dream On's guitar is kind of repetitive and the lyrics are a little wordy, but I do like it.

ULTRA may be the fans' least favorite CD, but I feel that since it was the first non-Wilder CD, the disappointment of the new Depeche Mode underrates a lot of the album. I thought It's No Good, had the power of vintage Depeche Mode. Barrel Of A Gun LIVE is actually really good. I also liked Home, Useless (and Uselink) and to an extent, Freestate. The bass work on the last two songs, The Bottom Line and Insight is really good and moody.

EXCITER does have more polished synth tricks up its sleeve than ULTRA.

• Members

But when I really think about it, there are some real gems on each and every release.

I think they have been few and far between since violator. Ultra was ok, enough decent songs to carry it more or less. Exciter was well..... technically very interesting but otherwise not that good except for maybe 2 songs.

I'm a big fan of violator and earlier, post violator everything has kinda sucked in general.....

Who was responsible for their route 66 remix? That one was unbelievable live. I also really like some of the violator remixes and b-side stuff. When Worlds Kolide(sp?) is a killer track.

• Members

Funny, when Violator was the current release, it wasn't really at the top of my DM list. At the time, I much preferred Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, and Some Great Reward was still the benchmark from my point of view back then.

Today, I listen to Violator and hear just how good it is. REALLY well-crafted arrangement, some of their best songwriting, etc.

I like them all. Some of the early stuff is getting pretty dated, but they're all part of the story and they all have their place. Still looking forward to the new release (I've been listening to all of my DM albums in preparation).

Anyone know if Peter Gordeno (sp?) is playing backup keyboards for them again this tour?

• Members

felix - yeah, both Christian and Peter will be touring with them again...

I had the same experience with SOFAD that you did with Violator as far as not really liking it as well as previous albums when it was brand new. I really didn't care for SOFAD much at all really until I was going through a kinda rough spot in my life and sat through the entire album start to finish one night. I guess I kinda "bonded" with it and was really able to identify with the feel and mood and subject matter :) . Since then I really feel like I get more out of it by listening to it as a whole rather than just a few of the parts... I know there's obviously personal memories and feelings and stuff associated there that helps color my impressions of it, but I haven't seemed to get that feeling nearly as much with any of the others aside from BC.

Thanks!

bax

• Members

VIOLATOR is my favorite album. SONGS OF FAITH AND DEVOTION has the best soundwork. I really like most of that CD. (I liked everything except Condemnation, Judas and Get Right With Me.) Like I said, listen to the live stuff, if you can. Better yet, get the DVD. It includes the songs from the next paragraph.

(Sorry about those people who saw the sucky, burned out 2nd leg of the tour. The first leg was the best.) What was great about the S.O.F.A.D. tour, was that is was like getting a VIOLATOR tour, as well. Personal Jesus, Enjoy The Silence, World In My Eyes and HALO all got some cool remix treatment. They also covered remixes of Never Let Me Down Again, Behind The Wheel, Everything Counts, Stripped and Fly On The Windscreen.

• Members

A word of warning for you all.

When you purchase "Playing the Angel" please do the following.

1.Turn your stereo up LOUD.

2.DO NOT and I mean DO NOT skip any tracks what so ever.

3.Play it through at least 3 times and give it your undividied attention.

4.The tracks defiately tell a story and the album seq's better when listened too track by track.

5."precious" is not a good indication of this album.

May I add alot of you are in for a big suprise.

Being 38 I've been into DM since album No.1.

I would easily rank this up there with SOFAD / VIOLATOR / BlackCelebration ....

This is a VERY NEW sounding Depeche Mode.

It's hard , it's very dark and downright gritty.

Lots of ineteresting rythmic work.

Many of these tracks blow my titt's off after several listens.

Microcosm , John The Revelator , The Darkest Star ({censored}ing awesome) , Lilllian etc etc etc...

Seriously alot of these tracks will kick but live.

The crowd is gonna go wild for John The Revelator in a major way.

Not much too dislike about this release.

Infact it's great IMHO and I didn't really dig Ultra or Exciter.

This is a return too form and then some IMHO.

Enjoy.

Archived