Oberheim Xpander: talk me out of it!

Cruel_Hoax

• Members

So, I found an Oberheim Xpander. For US$800. The guy has had it wrapped in blankets and in storage for the last 7 years, powering it up occasionally to keep the caps up.

It's in mint, mint condition. The only thing that distinguishes it from a factory-fresh one is a little bit of dust inside the individual voice outs. Not grime: dust. Cotton swab stuff. No nicks, marks, scratches, dents, fingerprints, blah blah. The guy has the manual for it and the original factory cassette.

So...

I really don't have the money for it right now, but due to a rather unique situation, I could hold it with small payments. I'm looking for reasons not to do it. Or, failing that, enough superlatives to overcome my financial woes and just sell a bunch of stuff.

I've googled, I've researched, I've played the thing (but -admittedly- not had the time to dive in and program it.) What I'm looking for here are personal accounts.

I lo-o-ove deep synth engines. I was planning on waiting 'til January to see whether a mono Evolver Keyboard is forthcoming, to get my deep-synth fix. What do you guys think? I've got hard, fat, and screamy covered with the Voyager. I've got drums and ROMpling covered by the MC909. I've got "obviously digital" in the K5000r, the DX7 and the TG33. The K5k i the only one that deserves anything approaching the term "lush".

My only analog poly now is a Siel DK600 (with expander). It's nice (especially since, with the Expander, it's essentially 4-oscs per voice), but the synth engine is not particularly deep. I like getting my hands dirty under the hood and programming complex sounds that change radically depending on how you play them, and the Xpander's mod matrix is a huge plus, for me.

What are, in your opinion(s), the drawbacks of the Xpander? For me: no keys. No easily-accessible (if at all) Mono mode. What else have I overlooked? Difficult to repair? Strange OS issues? Other stuff? Do the slow envelopes get unbearably slow with complex modulations going on?

Thanks for taking the time to read this too-long post. Thanks, too, for any insight you could give me.

-Hoax

• Members

A deal like THAT doesn't come along every day....... :eek: :eek: :eek:

JUST GET IT ALREADY!!

I've several friends who have Xpanders, they're happy campers! :)

They haven't had any issues (ok, one of them needed re-capping), the only down-side I see is the amount of time needed for complex programming. But hey, if you can handle a K5k you'll have the patience for this beast.

• Members

The XPander has long been on my shortlist of wishlist analog synths - right up there with a Prophet 5 and Buchla Modular. :)

Definitely pick it up. If you decide not to keep it, there are many folks on this board alone who'd be willing to take it off your hands and you'd be certain to make a reasonable profit on it.

If you decide you really can't afford it or don't want it, let one of us know and we'll send the money to you and you can send us the synth and give you a cut for being the middle-man!

• Members

If you don't buy that, please put me in touch with the seller, as I'll take it instantly. (And I really shouldn't spend any money either.)

You will not be sorry you bought it. That is the ONLY piece of Vintage gear that I would want to own.

• Members

talk you out of it?

do you know the xpander?

do you like what it has to offer?

do you want one?

have you ever wanted one?

do you have a strong desire to own one?

is there anything else you'd rather do with that $800?

are you overly influenced by the comments you read about it at forums?

do you think you might get it, find out it was over-hyped and not really for you, so that you have to turn around and re-sell it?

still there?

did you get it yet?

can i have it when you're done with it?

:D

• Members

Don't even think twice. It's an instrument for a lifetime, and the price is *very* good.

I sold mine many years ago... to get a Matrix-12, which is two Xpanders plus a keyboard. I'm still using the Matrix-12 regularly, and I've *never* thought about selling it, even when I was really in need of money.

Buy it!

Archived