'98 Marshall 1987x Reissue Plexi

MattyOvertone

• Members

SOLD

I'm a little reluctant to put this for sale, but I have eyes for a late 70s JMP that I'm trying to round up money for. So here goes:

1998 Marshall 1987x Smallbox Reissue Plexi. 50 watter, no FX loop, all stock. Retubed and biased about a month ago with JJ el34 and 12ax7 power and pre tubes. It's really a great amp and has never given me a lick of trouble. Was able to get very nice cleans to cranked crunches plugging straight in and awesome hard rock tones with an OD on the front end. This amp takes very well to OD and distortion pedals. Sustain and harmonics that I've never gotten out of a JCM 900 or 2000.

After taking all the new pictures, I noticed a few marks I didn't know were there... so it's probably an 8/10 physically. It has a few small scuffs, mainly on the bottom and sides. The tolex is slightly peeling a little at the corners, which seems typical with these amps that don't have plastic corner covers. It comes with vinyl amp cover (which isn't pictured). I tried to catch every little scuff or mark on the amp in the pictures below. The amp overall looks much nicer in person, the camera flash seem to make every little scuff stand out.

PRICE DROP (bottom line): $800 Shipped

plexi1.JPG

plexi2.JPG

plexi3.JPG

plexi4.JPG

plexi5.JPG

plexi6.JPG

plexi7.JPG

plexi8.JPG

plexi9.JPG

• Members

how does this compare to your JMP?

Well, to answer this I would have to say that the 1987 circuit is more "musical" than a 2203. If all you're concerned about is gain gain gain, the 2203 is probably a better choice, however this amp is a lot more flexable and you can get a lot more variation out of it. It's much better for the 60s blues rock sound when compared to my 2203 and sounds nicer for the low to medium gain tone. Plugging straight in the 2203 has more balls and gain, but I used to use the Seymour Duncan twin tube pedal on the front end of the reissue plexi and got all the hard and modern rock distortion I ever needed.

I also have an original 1983 JCM800 1987 amp, which is a more original version of the 1987x plexi reissue. Granted it's not like an original plexi but it's an early 80s version of the circuit. The Reissue plexi sounds pretty much identical to it. Marshall did a great job with these reissues.

I'm mainly selling because I want to get another JMP (2204...I like 50watters) but may settle for another 2203. Plus my JCM800 and this amp are pretty much duplicates so...

Archived