FS/FT Soldano SLO Clone

skaaks

• Members

This is a Soldano SLO clone that I just finished building. It's pretty much an exact SLO copy w/ all of the mods: haynes mod, depth mod, and slave out. It has two channels (clean/crunch and lead), shared EQ, tube FX loop, footswitch jack. It also has bias test points and the bias pot accesible from the back of the chassis for easy biasing.

I'm trying to work towards designing and building my own amp, so this was a good project for me but I didn't really plan on keeping it. It's a really clean build, if I do say so myself. I definitely took my time and made sure every wire was run exactly how I wanted it. I sourced all of the parts myself so I knew I was getting all top quality components: Mallory 150 caps, metal film resistors, custom circuit boards, Heyboer trannys, Groove Tube 6L6GCs, etc. I bought the chassis and head shell from a fellow builder, and they are gorgeous! The head shell has a really nice black gator tolex. All in all, I'm incredibly happy w/ how it turned out.

It sounds every bit as good as it looks. It's a pretty quiet amp, with no hum at all even at high volume. The clean channel has a nice shimmer to it and can do the verge of breakup w/ the gain up. With the crunch switch on, it covers a ton of mid-gain territory: bluesy rock to full on ACDC crunch.

The lead channel is where the amp really shines. It's insanely tight and aggressive, making it perfect for metal/hard rock. The distortion is very open and defined, very similar to my VHT but w/ a different voicing. It has TONS of gain (I usually left it around 9 o'clock and it was plenty). I'm going to try to get some clips up tonight for anyone who's interested.

Price is $1300 shipped.

As for trades, I'm mainly interested in high gain-type heads/combos (Framus, Bogner, VHT, etc). Feel free to PM me w/ any questions!

Pics:

[ATTACH]287368[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]287369[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]287370[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]287371[/ATTACH]

• Members

Many thanks, guys. Always nice to hear your work is appreciated. :) I'm not exactly sure where the PCBs were made, but they were designed by a member of the SLO clone forums. I bought my set from him.

The trannys and choke are Heyboers.

• Members

Hehe, I always hate the words people use to describe amps. Words like 'woody' or 'spanky' mean nothing to me :) In any case, it's definitely a 'crunchy', 'open' sound. It has a great growl to it but it's really easy to hear every note in a chord. It also takes to volume roll-off on the guitar very well. You really don't even need a footswitch if you're good w/ the volume knob.

• Members

Hehe, I always hate the words people use to describe amps. Words like 'woody' or 'spanky' mean nothing to me
:)
In any case, it's definitely a 'crunchy', 'open' sound. It has a great growl to it but it's really easy to hear every note in a chord. It also takes to volume roll-off on the guitar very well. You really don't even need a footswitch if you're good w/ the volume knob.

HMM....that's about what I figured. :thu:

Archived