Casio PX-310: a great board

phatmann

• Members

I just picked up a Casio PX-310. So far, I love it.

I had tried the PX-300 a few months ago, and I was aghast at how much I liked the progressive action, since I never dreamed of buying a Casio and could picture the snickering looks of my bandmates. The grand piano sound was quite good, and the EPs were not bad, either. Then I found out it only weighed 28 lbs and cost $700! This struck me as an excellent package.

I decided to wait until the PX-310 came out, and I'm glad I did. The sounds are significantly better. In particular, the grand piano is now more accurate and responsive: in short, it's excellent. And it only weighs 26 lbs now! For those of you that care, they improved the built-in speakers.

In comparison, let me say that I consider the RD-700SX to be the most accurate digital piano out there, with its superb action and stunning grand piano. And its expandable. But it costs over $2000 and weighs over 50 lbs! For my purposes (playing rock and acid jazz) the extra weight and cost are not worth it. (Also worth mentioning: the RD-300SX has a terrible action and is over $1000, so it's not even in the running, even though it is also a lightweight board like the PX-310.)

In some ways, I like the PX-310 action even better than the RD-700SX. It has no springs, using only fluid to acheive its magic. This makes it very even and natural to play. You can really "dig in"; it reminds me of my Rhodes.

If you go to a store to test this keyboard, you need to plug it in and listen as you try the action. If you just walk up to it and play it when it is off, the action feels weird and mushy. But it "makes sense" when you hear it. Try it out and you will see what I mean.

The Rhodes (EP1) and the Wurly (60's EP) are quite playable, with some honk and bite to them. I would definitely use them at gigs. But it gets even more fun when I hook my Nord Electro to PX-310. The Nord's Rhode patch just comes alive! Its amazing how much richer my playing is with the weighted keys.

Some bits of advice:

* If you like to play the keyboard hard, set the keyboard touch to "Strong". This lets you play very delicate runs and then dig in for some fierce attack; the "thick" action really shines.

* The Clav is decent, nothing amazing but it will work in a pinch. I recommend turning off the DSP and see if you like the setting better (I did). It's a bassier, richer sound this way.

So yes, it's a Casio: wall-wart, built-in speakers, rhythm and auto-accompaniment, etc. But it's really a fantastic instrument, with a first-rate action and a great grand piano. It is absolutely the best deal out there right now. Go try one and you might be amazed.

• Members

Thank you for your opinion! I am considering PX-310 but I don't have a chance to try it - just to order it. I was able to try PX-300 and I liked the action but the piano sound was not good and the speakers were weak. How could you compare the main piano sound to other digital pianos - for example RD-300SX, Yamaha P90/120? Do you think the speakers are good enough for playing at home without need to buy a dedicated external speaker system? In that I mean sound volume adequate to a real piano and good bass-mid-high response without distortion. What kind of Rhodes sounds are there? I am looking for vintage sound as in Herbie Hancock - Butterfly. And finally, the polyphony for stereo sounds is just 16, is it noticeable? In PX-300 it was, using the sustain pedal and lush arpegios. I am not expecting it not to be noticeable but at least some smart note-stealing algorythms to be used. Actually, if it possible could you make some mp3 demo of the main sounds - probably the factory demos? I will be really thankful if you do that!

• Members

To compare piano sounds, you really need to be trying both units side by side in the store. I tried the RD300SX, but I hated the action so much I stopped almost immediately. I tried the P90; I don't personally like the Yamaha piano sounds, but others adore them, so I am the wrong one to ask. I would guess that the PX-310 sounds is not as good as all of these units, but I still think the grand piano is excellent, and you might find it adequate, too.

The internal speakers are quite good and loud. Of course, if you want real deep bass, you need much larger speakers. They don't distort.

I have had no problem with the 16 note polyphony on the stereo grand, but my style is more rock and jazz. If this bothered you on the PX-300, it will probably bother you on the PX-310. This is probably the worst aspect of the PX-310, and is part of the tradeoff you make for lower cost. For me, it works out; for others, this may be a deal breaker.

I'll try to make some MP3s to post, but it will probably be a while before I get to it.

• Members

Thanks for your review, phatman. I'll look these guys up. Like you, 16 note poly doesn't bother me. I don't pedal much live, and when I do it cleans up my sound when only my last 16 notes are heard....I actually kinda like it.

• Members

I have played the PX-110 and recommended it to several people on a budget ($499 inlcudes free furniture stand at Guitar Center). The piano sound is pretty good and the action is rather pianistic, though on the heavy side and slightly sluggish, but a lot of pianos are that way too.

I was disapointed with what they have done to the EP sound in the new PX-110 (have not tried PX-310). It has been changed and sounds much less like a vintage "Rhodes Suitcase" than the previous version (PX-100, PX-300) . It's hard to describe what the new version EP in the PX-110 sounds like now, it is some sort of hybrid.

• Members

The EP is not "honky" enough for my taste on the 310, but I don't remember if it was better on the 300. If you set the keyboard touch to "Weak", it gets a little funkier without having to bang the crap out of it.

On the other hand, the Wurly (60's EP) is quite good, and I think that any gig I don't have the Nord Electro, this is the EP patch I would use.

I have not dug through the GM or Advanced tones, but I don't expect to find anything good there in terms of EPs.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz+

I have played the PX-110 and recommended it to several people on a budget ($499 inlcudes free furniture stand at Guitar Center). The piano sound is pretty good and the action is rather pianistic, though on the heavy side and slightly sluggish, but a lot of pianos are that way too.

I was disapointed with what they have done to the EP sound in the new PX-110 (have not tried PX-310). It has been changed and sounds much less like a vintage "Rhodes Suitcase" than the previous version (PX-100, PX-300) . It's hard to describe what the so EP in the PX-110 sounds like now, it is some sort of hybrid.

Yes I agree. I find the new action to be way too heavy and sluggish. I like the action on the older models much better and plan to buy one of them on closeout.

• Members

I bought a 310 two weeks ago. Clav is great through a (Hi-Watt) wah into a Motion Sound amp. I went for the 310 over the 300 (they had both in stock at my local retailer) because I liked the warm distorted sample on one of the rhodes patches when you dig in. It's in the hard sample in a two layer patch, and the soft sample is nice and rounded with enough tine, but the velocity switching is abrupt rather than a properly programmed crossfade so probably not to everyone's taste. I run the rhodes through a valve stereo tremolo pedal and am happy with the result for live but would probably not use it for recording. Acoustic pianos were as ok as most digital pianos out there. The rest of the sounds were irrelevant to me but seem to be mostly crap. I became interested in this board when I found out it's weight was half of other digi pianos and the price was also about half. With appealing clav and rhodes patches I was sold. I'll hook up a Kurz module when I need acoustic piano sounds.

For those worried about the lack of a switch for disabling the onboard speakers, just shove a minijack adaptor plug in one of the headphone outputs.

• Members

I just played the PX-310 at a band practice tonight. I was not disappointed! The action just feels so good under my fingers, I had complete control of the acoustic piano and EP sounds.

I also brought my Nord Electro. As expected, the PX-310's Rhodes is not nearly as good as the Nord's, so I just used the PX-310 to control the Nord for this sound. With the thick 310 action, it's a very convincing experience.

I did an A/B of the Nord's Wurly and the PX-310's Wurly, and they are very simliar. This is good news, since it means I can play the 310 Wurly and the Nord B3 at the same time as needed.

When playing B-3 leads with my right hand and comping with the 310 grand piano sample, I was happy to note that the piano punched through nicely, even with the "Strong" keyboard touch.

The surprise of the night was how good the sax patches sounded! They're a little hard to play with this action, but you get a lot of dynamic range, making them sound more realistic. Not a sound I will use too often (I generally find horn patches cheesy), but good to have in my bag of tricks.

So, the PX-310 passed its first test with flying colors. Now we just need to see how well it holds up when I start gigging with it.

• Members

Hey there,

I'm also looking for a good digital piano to jam with and use at gigs. I've been interested in the Casio PX series, so I tried out the 310 today at Guitar Center and was very impressed. I was previously interested in the 300, but apparently the 310 might be a better idea. My only issue right now is whether or not you can program preset tones on it. For example, I'd like to be able to press a button and automatically switch to the Church Organ tone since in the middle of a song I won't exactly have time to type it in. On my 10 year old Yamaha keyboard I can program 5 presets and it's very useful, so if the 310 can't it will definitely be a problem.

Thanks for the help.

• Members

You can download the manual from Casio's site here:

http://world.casio.com/emi/download/en/manual/

On the 310 for the main sounds you have to hit one button or maybe two if you want the variation patch, but you can set up the keyboard so that for each button the primary or variation patch gets selected when you hit that button. You can set the advanced tone button to select your choice of the advanced or GM tones when you hit it. This can all be saved in the set-up memory.

• Members

Thanks for the reply. The manual answered a lot of my questions... I should've thought of that before. I guess you can program up to 32 presets using the 8 registration banks. Looks like this keyboard might be the one... now I gotta come up with the money :mad:

• Members

Played the PX-310 (with my Nord Electro 2) tonight with another band. The MIDI connection was not working (bad cable, I hope), so I ended up playing the Wurly sample on the 310 (instead of the Rhodes through the Nord). I was pleasantly surprised at how well it held up through many different kinds of songs. It's warm and sweet.

On the other hand, the 310 Rhodes does not do anything for me, I kept trying it and quicky switching to something else. Too bad, this would really be nice to have. I will see if I can tweak and improve it.

I need to double check, but I think I lowered the Brilliance on the Wurly tone, to make it more mellow, when I made the preset. Its pretty subtle, but you can use this to make some of the harsher tones a tad more palatable.

As before, the piano continues to sound quite good. The bass, in particular, is nice and punchy, like I like it. There is probably room for more clarity in the midrange, but it's still quite a decent sample overall.

And no one has even mentioned that it's a Casio! Either my bandmates respect my decision...or they're too polite to mention it :)

• Members

Hey Phatmann,

I was wondering if you could do me a favour and let me know how (or indeed if) the casio sends midi program change messages. I've downloaded the manual and it's not entirely clear.

Can you change the patch on your electro by pressing a button on your casio?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

You have to do some kind of thing like hold down a button and then hit a certain key on the keyboard if you want to send a midi patch change while still keeping the same sound on the Casio.

Is it so hard to reach up on the Electro and hit the patch button?

• Members

'Is it so hard to reach up on the Electro and hit the patch button?'

Of course not. I was using the electro as an example 'cos I know that phatmann has one. Apologies for any confusion caused.

I'm actually thinking of using the px310 as a controller for some rack gear that just has a rotary dial thingy to change patches. It would be nice to have the situation where hitting a single button on the casio changes the patch on my module. I probably wouldn't be using the casio internal voices at all, I'm attracted to it purely for it's lightness.

If the bank and registration buttons send patch change, then am I right in thinking that bank 1, reg 1 sends patch change 001 etc.

One final question, do the bank and registration numbers remain displayed once selected? Many thanks.

• Members

[quoteOf course not. I was using the electro as an example 'cos I know that phatmann has one. Apologies for any confusion caused.

I'm actually thinking of using the px310 as a controller for some rack gear that just has a rotary dial thingy to change patches. It would be nice to have the situation where hitting a single button on the casio changes the patch on my module. I probably wouldn't be using the casio internal voices at all, I'm attracted to it purely for it's lightness.

If the bank and registration buttons send patch change, then am I right in thinking that bank 1, reg 1 sends patch change 001 etc.

One final question, do the bank and registration numbers remain displayed once selected? Many thanks.

Ah, I see. I only said that because I use an Electro with another board underneath and it's pretty easy to reach up and dial in the sound I need. :)

I'm not familiar with the casio but if the patch changes on the remote unit when you press a patch button (like someone had said), then you would need to arrange or remap (some modules let you do that) the patches on the module to so hitting the button on the casio calls up the patch you want on the module.

The casio manual is online if you don't have one, I looked up one time how to send midi patch data and it was the hold down a button and press a key on the keyboard method, so if you need more than a few patches you'd have to look into that method.

Archived