FS: Splawn Pro Stock

rlm297

• Members

2008 Splawn Pro Stock w/ 3-button Splawn Footswitch

eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280325786448

Starting Bid: $900 (No Reserve)

Buy It Now: $1000 *Free Marshall Rolling Amp Head Case w/ B.I.N.*

Flat Shipping to CON-US and Canada: $75

**To sweeten the deal, since I really need to sell this. For any Harmony Central user that does the Buy It Now, I'll include a Marshall Rolling Amplifier Head Case, which fits the head perfectly.

It's kind of like this, but the Marshall brand: http://www.music123.com/Gator-G-901-Rolling-Amplifier-Head-Case-545898-i1166471.Music123

splawn_1.JPG

splawn_2.JPG

splawn_3.JPG

splawn_4.JPG

• Members

Man I am fighting with myself on which Splawn I want. I think a Nitro but I like the Pro Mods too. On Splawn's site the pro Stock clips actually say they are of a supercharged 350 and sound more vintage. But the description says the Pro Stock is a single channel version of the quick rod or pro mod. Since yours Has the KT88 is it the Pro Mod version. And lastly can this thing sound mean and more modern?

• Members

Man I am fighting with myself on which Splawn I want. I think a Nitro but I like the Pro Mods too. On Splawn's site the pro Stock clips actually say they are of a supercharged 350 and sound more vintage. But the description says the Pro Stock is a single channel version of the quick rod or pro mod. Since yours Has the KT88 is it the Pro Mod version. And lastly can this thing sound mean and more modern?

It sounds like you've really done your homework. To be honest, this was my first Splawn amp -- I used to use a Marshall DSL50 and heard that the Splawn amps were Marshalls on steroids, so I replaced my DSL50 with the Pro Stock.

Since it has the KT88's, I think you're right about it being the Pro Mod version.

In terms of it sounding mean and modern, it is a Marshall voiced amp.. so if you're looking for a nu-metal amp, I'd check out a Mesa Dual Rectifier or a Peavey 5150 instead.

If you're looking for a great rock amp, this is the one. It'll give you a very brutal crunch. It also kind of depends on what guitar/pickups are being used and how loud you're playing it at. In my opinion, this amp was made for humbuckers and to be cranked -- it does have a half power switch, but I'd recommend using a Hot Plate or Power Brake for this (I hear those work wonders.) Without an attenuator though, you'll still be pleased with the tones you'll be able to achieve. I kind of suspect they used attenuators in Splawn's clips though.

My bandmate once played his Gibson Les Paul Classic through it on half power at Volume 3, paired with my Marshall 1960AC 4x12 greenback cab and the gain and crunch sounded beautiful, kind of the modern hi-gain tones Weezer had on their last two albums. I was able to pull off a very convincing "Sweet Child" by GNR on it, when I had a go at it.

I also was able to get some awesome controlled feedback with the gain all of the way up, while using a Stratocaster with a Hot Rails in the bridge position.

Anyway, I've kind of rambled a bit.. but I hope my experience with this amp helped to answer your questions.

• Members

Well laugh at me if you want lol but I never was a big fan of Recs and I do have a nice sounding 5150 II. I also have a 1989 JCM 800 2205 that sound great and fairly mean. I guess what I am looking for is the tone and crunch of a Marshall and the gai of a 5150. From the clips on Splawn's site the Nitro seemed to be what I wanted but you got me a little worried that those clips are not just of the amps.

• Members

Well laugh at me if you want lol but I never was a big fan of Recs and I do have a nice sounding 5150 II. I also have a 1989 JCM 800 2205 that sound great and fairly mean. I guess what I am looking for is the tone and crunch of a Marshall and the gai of a 5150. From the clips on Splawn's site the Nitro seemed to be what I wanted but you got me a little worried that those clips are not just of the amps.

Oh, no. Those are of the amps, I'm sure. But it's one thing to hear an amp through computer speakers with someone else's guitar and to play through one in person pumping out of a 4x12..

I just meant, that they might have used attenuators to get to the sweet spot easier and played guitars with humbuckers or hot pickups to really put the amp through its paces. There are so many factors in getting a given tone.

However, if you're looking for a Hot Rodded Marshall voiced amp and have hot pickups in your guitar.. you'll be able to get competitive high gain rock tones out of this.

Also consider this, Billy Corgan was said to have put KT88 tubes in his JCM800 during "Siamese Dream" and used a Big Muff.. and his tone on that album was heavy as hell. So, given the KT88s in this head, if you don't want to use the amp's high gain tones, you could set the amp to crystal clean and use pedals to really put it over the top as an alternative.

Corgan also used, believe it or not, 5150's later on during their "Adore" era. But I don't really think his heavy tone or sustain sounded as good as his Marshall days.

• Members

Well have you listened to the Pro Stock supercharged 350 clips on the Splawn site? Would you say that is an accuarate example of your head or will your head get alot meaner. Those clips sounds way more vintage vs the Pro Mod. I was hoping your head could get close to the Nitro clips. I know before the Nitro the Pro Mod was the meanest one they made. I am itching to pull the trigger on this but need to make sure. Would you happen to have any sound clips of this?

• Members

Well have you listened to the Pro Stock supercharged 350 clips on the Splawn site? Would you say that is an accuarate example of your head or will your head get alot meaner. Those clips sounds way more vintage vs the Pro Mod. I was hoping your head could get close to the Nitro clips. I know before the Nitro the Pro Mod was the meanest one they made. I am itching to pull the trigger on this but need to make sure. Would you happen to have any sound clips of this?

I just listened to the sound clips. The Pro Stock Supercharged 350 Clips are of the amp in 1st Gear (which sounds like a Vintage Plexi) -- the Pro Stock has more gain when you switch to 2nd/3rd Gear (which sound more like a Hot Rodded JCM800.)

Here's a rundown of the gears:

1st Gear - Hot Rodded Marshall Plexi

2nd Gear - Hot Rodded Marshall JCM800

3rd Gear - Super Hot Rodded Marshall JCM800

If you're familiar with those Marshall amps, that's pretty much what the Pro Stock is about. In my opinion, I've gotten tones as thick as the last two Nitro clips with my Hot Rails Stratocaster. The Pro Stock Supercharged 350 Clips on their site are kind of a misnomer, as there is more gain and sustain on tap in 2nd and 3rd Gear modes. So, to answer your question.. yes, it will get meaner than the Supercharged 350 Clips.

If you're on the fence, I suggest reading about the Splawn Pro Stock on HC's User Reviews section: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Splawn/PRO-STOCK/10/1

I also hear Splawn's Customer Service is pretty good, so they might be able to help you with any questions you have, if you shoot them an email.

Archived