Do you keep any synth for just *one* sound (patch)?

swandiver

• Members

TDman,

The K-bell patch is far from the only patch I like. The K5000 has many great sounds, for sure. But I want to minimize my setup down to one flagship all-around workstation and go with that. I figure I can create lots of lush pads and analog sounds that the K5000 makes on other workstations (although not identically, but close enough), but the additive bells are simply heaven. Heaven, I say, Heaven.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by Raymar

Seems like an odd question to me. Any programmable synth can get a sea of sounds, can be run through other synths, and can be sampled and the resulting samples can be tweeked for eons.

Most synths mentioned here are not that expensive, so it's not a big deal if they gather dust for the rest of the time. Also, if you can use a synth for one patch that'd otherwise require a lot of programming (or even combinations of other synths to stack) plus an effects unit, it's a more economic solution to keep the one-trick-pony... not to mention the fact that in case of a different method of synthesis you'll lose that flexibility, too.

I keep multiple synths because I kind of like it that I don't have to go multitimbral; I simply pop up another "instance" :D. How's that for decadence?

• Members

Originally posted by darcity

I kept my Roland D-550 around just for the synthbrass until I finally sampled it.

You make a great point... I've found some sounds really do transfer very well to being sampled. I have also had experiences of them sounding better in the sampler! For example I sampled my Motif and Z1 into the VSynth and the patches took on a new life... they didn't really sound like the originals too much.. but that can be good too..

• Members

Hell yes. I utilize my D-550 solely for "Star Peace Chorus." Sounds wonderful MIDIed with an analog string patch. I've found sounds on other synths that come close, but they lack the smooth, dark vibe of this particular patch in the D-550. Total visceral experience. Use it frequently and can't live without it. Consequently, it forever remains in my rack. Of course, if my sampling skills were at all developed..........

How often do you use the sound in question?

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

I just bought a Roland VARIOS for a song to go along with the VSynth. Now I can put the VC2 vocoder card in the VARIOS and free up the VSYnth...

Thats a very interesting idea. I could do with alternate hosts for both the VC1 and VC2 to free up the V-Synth.

How do you find controlling them through the Varios box?

• Members

You're missing the point entirely. If you're keeping a synth around for just one patch you're missing out on what it can really do. So many people buy synths without really exploring them. No synth-sense.

I keep multiple synths because I kind of like it that I don't have to go multitimbral; I simply pop up another "instance"
:D
. How's that for decadence?

People have claimed they can actually hear a difference between performance mode and multitimbral mode. I like to sometimes stack patches in one synth, there's alot of flexibility to investigate that way.

Steve

Originally posted by Yoozer

Most synths mentioned here are not that expensive, so it's not a big deal if they gather dust for the rest of the time. Also, if you can use a synth for one patch that'd otherwise require a lot of programming (or even combinations of other synths to stack) plus an effects unit, it's a more economic solution to keep the one-trick-pony... not to mention the fact that in case of a different method of synthesis you'll lose that flexibility, too.

• Members

Originally posted by Raymar

Seems like an odd question to me. Any programmable synth can get a sea of sounds, can be run through other synths, and can be sampled and the resulting samples can be tweeked for eons.

I'd have to agree with Yoozer's comments a few posts above. I used to think like Raymar's quote until I had a decent collection of synths, all of which were fairly well explored programming-wise. Then you realize that synth-x really does a certain sound 'just right' like nothing else in your collection, and if it's a cheap synth, why sell it if you really love that sound? It is very easy to grow fond of a certain sound a synth is capable of, and no matter how hard I try to program that on another synth it just ain't the same. All synths are unique from the other, it's just a fact. Some sounds just don't lend themselves well to sampling - you lose the organic richness and the realtime control. Also I agree with Yoozer about staying in performance mode - once you have enough synths, it's a better way to work, and your sound is uncompromised. (Remember some older synths like the M1 didn't have insert effects, and in multitimbral mode sounded like sh*t.)

• Members

Originally posted by ChipCurtis

Then you realize that synth-x really does a certain sound 'just right' like nothing else in your collection, and if it's a cheap synth, why sell it if you really love that sound? .. ..no matter how hard I try to program that on another synth it just ain't the same.. ..Some sounds just don't lend themselves well to sampling - you lose the organic richness and the realtime control.

+1

exactimundo. luckily, there's a lot of chep(er) synths that fall into this cathegory. that one patch on FS became a "part of my voice" that's for sure.. :D

• Members

Originally posted by ChipCurtis

I'd have to agree with Yoozer's comments a few posts above. I used to think like Raymar's quote until I had a decent collection of synths, all of which were fairly well explored programming-wise. Then you realize that synth-x really does a certain sound 'just right' like nothing else in your collection, and if it's a cheap synth, why sell it if you really love that sound? It is very easy to grow fond of a certain sound a synth is capable of, and no matter how hard I try to program that on another synth it just ain't the same. All synths are unique from the other, it's just a fact.

Well it looks like you've also misunderstood me as well. I've realized for years that each synth has its strengths, no need to go there, its a given. I'm just saying there may be much more under the hood than alot of people realize.

Some sounds just don't lend themselves well to sampling - you lose the organic richness and the realtime control.

True but I wasn't refering to just duplicating sounds via sampling but modifying those samples by tweeking them around for new sounds altogether.

Also I agree with Yoozer about staying in performance mode - once you have enough synths, it's a better way to work, and your sound is uncompromised. (Remember some older synths like the M1 didn't have insert effects, and in multitimbral mode sounded like sh*t.)

That may apply with some synths but all of my multitimbral synths

sound identical in either mode so its never been a problem for me

unless I overextend the polyphony(which can cause some interesting effects!).

BTW, I really like the Mini and Arp2600 VAs you co-authored! I too have VAZ modular and there's a good vehicle for tweeking samples of those so-called one trick pony synths.

Steve

• Members

Originally posted by eric

I've held onto my JX8P since 1985 primarily for sentimental reasons (my first synth), but there is one sound in it that I've never found anywhere else. The preset pad called "Soundtrack" is just beautiful.

Regards,

Eric

Wow, I wasn't the only one. I had a JX-10 that I thought I was going to keep forever just for that 'Soundtrack' preset. I also liked 'Cello Orchestra.' Was that on the JX8P too?

Someone on this board had sampled the 'Soundtrack' preset with Reason and sent it to me via email.

Damn, I can't remember that forumite's name...He nailed it, so I sold my JX-10 and just fire up Reason for my pad needs.

• Members

Originally posted by televisionary

Wow, I wasn't the only one. I had a JX-10 that I thought I was going to keep forever just for that 'Soundtrack' preset. I also liked 'Cello Orchestra.' Was that on the JX8P too?

that was a jx10 factory layer patch consising of Cello Sect n Low Strings tones.. i have a snippet of that over here: MKS70-CelloOrchestra.mp3

wow, soundtrack does get mentioned a lot w JX8P. okay, but u can make a better, more usable pad on it any time. i mean, its less than a fraction of what this board can do.

Archived