1978 Marshall JMP 2203 100Watt MKII

MattyOvertone

• Members

I'll start by saying this amp is an 8/10 and is not all original.

I had to replace the output transformer, however replaced with the best; Mercury Magnetics Tone Clone. All the filter caps and power transformer and choke are original. The amp is currently setup for EL34 power tubes which required a resistor mod. Also, the amp has a few other tone mods for boosted gain and mid range. Recently retubed and properly biased. All reissue Mullard tubes in the pre and power sections. CLICK HERE TO VIEW ALL PHOTOS or scroll down to check out a few added to this post.

This is an awesome sounding Marshall. I have over $1400 into buying and fixing up the amp. Will sell for $1100 shipped or best offer.

JMP1.jpg

JMP11.jpg

JMP12.jpg

JMP26.jpg

JMP27.jpg

JMP31.jpg

• Members

My amp has the same selling value as yours (approximately $1100 U.S.)

Plus, I'm about an hours drive away, so we could make a direct trade if you decided to trade for my amp (no scams this way, it is failproof).

From your comment, it seems you have a JCM800, which would be able to cover hi-gain and stuff like that. At the same time, you'll be able to have a really good Marshall that can cover shimmering, sparkling, beautiful cleans (the Bluesbreaker is better than Fender Cleans in my opinion) and if cranked, can get the meanest Jimmy Page sort of bluesy hard rock sort of tone.

This amp also takes all pedals that I've tried VERY well. My Les Paul into this Marshall gives a godly sort of tone.

I really hope you decide to trade with me, because frankly, I REALLY want this amp.

I don't care about pictures or sound clips, but they would be nice. I can send you pictures via. PM if you're interested.

• Members

My amp has the same selling value as yours (approximately $1100 U.S.)

Plus, I'm about an hours drive away, so we could make a direct trade if you decided to trade for my amp (no scams this way, it is failproof).

From your comment, it seems you have a JCM800, which would be able to cover hi-gain and stuff like that. At the same time, you'll be able to have a really good Marshall that can cover shimmering, sparkling, beautiful cleans (the Bluesbreaker is better than Fender Cleans in my opinion) and if cranked, can get the meanest Jimmy Page sort of bluesy hard rock sort of tone.

This amp also takes all pedals that I've tried VERY well. My Les Paul into this Marshall gives a godly sort of tone.

I really hope you decide to trade with me, because frankly, I REALLY want this amp.

I don't care about pictures or sound clips, but they would be nice. I can send you pictures via. PM if you're interested.

I'm remotely familiar with the bluesbreaker. I used to have a 50watt reissue plexi head that was probably similar in sound. And actually my JCM800 isn't really a heavy amp because it's a model 1987, which is similar to the plexi circuit. The JMP and JCM800 2203 and 2204 amps were the "metal" amps of the day, and still are to an extent.

That said, I'm really looking for a cash deal or a trade towards a black LP custom. In a perfect world I'd love to have your amp in my collection, but can't really afford that right now with the other things I want to get. I'll definitely consider it heavily though, maybe I'll change my mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Man I had a 78 JMP that I let go cheap because I needed cash really fast. You say this amp because of some replacement parts has a bit more gain. Can you explain that or let me know who has a similar gain. I always wished mine had a bit more. I am sure it isn't going to have what my 2205 has but that is what interest me.

• Members

Well most of the added "distortion" comes from the EL34s. It came stock with 6550 power tubes which are a cleaner. Only other mods are a few resistor value changes to tweak the sound, but they don't make a dramatic difference. A bit more distortion and a bit more beef.

I found setting the master to about 5.5, the pre-amp to 7.5, presence at 4.5, bass at 6.5, mid at 4.5, and treble around 5 through a marshall 4x12, boosted with a fulltone fatboost and using a gibson or EMG pickup awesome 80s hard rock/modern rock type of sounds. Can be dialed down to more 70s rock tones if desired. Never tryed getting a really harsh metal sound from it, though i think it's doable with maybe a different pedal on the front end.

It seems 2203s are pretty universal and a lot of people use them.

• Members

Sice some mods were doe how tight is the lowend. Sometimes they get a little loose.

I think the low end is nice. I've only ever owned marshalls and this one has the biggest and tightest low end of the marshalls I've ever owned. I'll try to get sound clips up to give you an idea.

Archived