Fantom vs Triton Ex vs Motif

Freak Guitar

• Members

I need a keyboard...which one would be best for me?

Im doing metal music that has some synth in it. No shredding keys or anything, just ambience and some melody. {censored} like Soilwork and Mnemic.

I like the Triton a lot but it doesn't seem to have the more realistic tones I like.

The Fantom is ok.

The Motif has awesome real tones, but I haven't played around with the synth's too much.

Can anyone shed light on this?

• Members

You've already figured it out...either Triton or Motif is what you want because you liked their sounds better than Fantom's.

Don't buy into the argument that presets don't tell the story because all the big companies have very capable programmers working for them, as a novice you will be hard pressed to program anything better yourself for a LOOOOOONG time.

I'd suggest a few more trips to the store and try some of the functions (sequencing, editing patches, etc.) on the board.

I personally found my Motif very tough to understand at first (I got it because I really liked the sounds), but after months of use it makes sense. I think you will find the Triton easier to come up to speed with than the Motif. The touchscreeen makes editing faster, but that's not very important if you don't like the way it sounds.

If you plan to use the synth with your computer, the Motif has poor Mac support (great PC support though), Triton has good support for both platforms.

Good luck!

• Members

Well...I saw the dude from Soilwork playing a Triton in the video for "As we speak" I don't have a Triton but it seems to me it had the best pads, for ambience. I haven't explored my Fantom rack that much but it seems to me that would do a nice job for what you want as well. The Motif would probably be my last choice in your situation, but again could probably do a nice job for what you want.

• Members

Originally posted by Freak Guitar

Im doing metal music that has some synth in it. No shredding keys or anything, just ambience and some melody. {censored} like Soilwork and Mnemic.

*sheds light*

'some synth'

'just ambience and some melody'

I dunno why, but I have a feeling you'd be happiest with a VA synth. I think an Alesis Ion or a Novation KS would suit you well.

Ask yourself this: Do you want good/excellent emulation of acoustic instruments like piano, strings, horns....or do you just want really cool synth sounds for ambience and melody? If you want the emulation, it's Motif, but if you just want really versatile synth sounds, go for the VA synths I mentioned.

*closes curtains*

• Members
Originally posted by Sleepin' Deeper

Do you want good/excellent emulation of acoustic instruments like piano, strings, horns....or do you just want really cool synth sounds for ambience and melody?

Thats the thing...I want both. The main thing is the good synths for the band, the other stuff is just for my own use.

• Members

I don't think you can beat the flexibility and sounds of the triton series -- i have been using a triton pro for several years and no matter what i need it do-- it comes through with fiying colors -- its a performance synth -- an awsome sampler -- an easy to uses sequencer/ workstation -- a master controler - you name it, it can do it -- and you'll spend about 10 minutes reading the manual and your off. it's the synth I always knew someone could make -- buy one-- you'll never regret it

• Members

Originally posted by moogerfooger

I don't think you can beat the flexibility and sounds of the triton series -- i have been using a triton pro for several years and no matter what i need it do-- it comes through with fiying colors -- its a performance synth -- an awsome sampler -- an easy to uses sequencer/ workstation -- a master controler - you name it, it can do it -- and you'll spend about 10 minutes reading the manual and your off. it's the synth I always knew someone could make -- buy one-- you'll never regret it

Yea, the guy from Soilwork uses the Triton Pro. Would I be better off just getting the Triton Extreme?

• Members

If you plan to use the synth with your computer, the Motif has poor Mac support (great PC support though), Triton has good support for both platforms.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, ther is no Mac OS X dedicated editor for the aging AN, DX, and VL PLG cards. You can control some common parameters through the voice editor and that should suffice for the sample based PLGs.

But, there is better support for the Mac now... on OS X you can use the Motif ES voice editor and utlities just like on the pc.

Mac OS X also supports the latest mLAN card...

Out of the three workstations, the Motif ES is among the most integrated with the PC / mac environment.

Re: ES synth abilities

You can make some incredible synth tones with my ES. It has a subtractive synthesis architecture, and although not as deep as some Virtual Analogs it more than makes up for it with its layering, filters, sampling and FX abilities. Get a real/virtual analog along with the ES if you need too.

I would also check out the new MO6 or MO8.

click here

• Members

Seen several concerts lately (including Transiberian Orchestra last night :thu: ) and there are plenty of Tritons and Motifs but I have never seen any Fantoms on stage (except my own setup :rolleyes: ). I've also seen a couple Alesis QS ROMplers.

Transiberian Orchestra has two key players. One of their encores was dueling Motif ES solos playing classical organ & piano vs boogey woogie and contemporary piano pieces. Great sounds, incredible players!

Then they played Rocky Mountain Way. :thu:

• Members

Some good details folks. I still believe it comes down to what sounds best for the music you are playing. Meatball Fusion hit the nail on the head with this:

"The touchscreeen makes editing faster, but that's not very important if you don't like the way it sounds".

Well said. The UI on the Motif ES can be a bear, especially in the beginning. But if you work with it long enough, it can be set up as a live master KB, as well as use for recording. Yamaha does need to do a better job of setup/interfacing products to work with the ES, but as a stand alone workstation or a live performance synth, it works pretty well. I put up with the UI because the instrument sounds great. The action is very good, and it's a Yamaha....so it's reliable.

But your ears will tell you what you want to buy. I wouldn't buy an instrument because some group uses one. You "might" want to do songs by more than one group??

Mike T.

• Members

Get the one you like, that inspires you. That would be the Motif. I also 2nd what Malfunkt said: check out the MO6 & 8. If they have the same killer sounds you like, for less money...also check out the feel of the keys of the MO's vs. the Motifs, I'm not sure if the MO's have the same quality...only you can decide, sounds and key feel are both very personal.

I used to program a Yamaha synth, a DX7IID. Very difficult. I put up with it and mastered it--because the sounds were so inspirational to work with. :)

• Members

well, here's something i did with my fantom just now.....

pure experimentation

Nice one, keyman_sam! I liked how that filtered air effect weaves in and out of the song.

I used to program a Yamaha synth, a DX7IID. Very difficult. I put up with it and mastered it--because the sounds were so inspirational to work with.

My first synth was the DX7. Since it was my introduction to synthesis, I didn't know why people were calling it difficult. I just toiled away and programmed FM sounds. Then came the TX816, SY77, SY99...

• Members

Have a triton in my setup for the moment (i was an ex-triton le owner):

Deja-vu! :cool:

Second impressions :p :

1). Fantastic acoustic sounds.

2). Brilliant leads/synths

3). Good drumkits

4). Lush pads (combinations)

Some other things :

1). The keys still suck. :p

2). Oh, i remember this one from my ex-ownership : ONE IFX ONLY!!! :mad:

3). Play the big sweep stab : gorgeous. Press SEQ button to record it : Did your granny just fart? :wave:

4). I dont remember doing loop-recording, so i cant find it now either.

5). Ok ma, can i sample?

O back to your question again : Yes. :)

• Members

I'm not responding to the original poster's request per se -- since his needs are specific -- but others who may be weighing a similar choice, especially those "stepping up" to their first workstation ...

I know I struggled with this one (Motif vs. Triton vs. Fantom) for almost a year before I made "the big plunge" with the Fantom X7.

First off, I respect the Triton and the Motif tremendously -- and I hope to have rack version of either eventually -- but this is what sold me on the Fantom X7 ...

-- Best interface / operating system ... (the Motif in particular seems antiquated and abstruse)

-- Best keyboard action by far IMO (the Motif keys by comparison are ridiculously narrow and the Triton isn't so good either for the price).

-- Best-looking. I still get mooney-eyed just LOOKING at it, which IS important, I feel as an instrument should inspire you in many ways)

-- Solidly constructed (although I'm not saying the others are crap, but many Motif parts -- like the sliders, although it's great they're on board -- look and feel cheap; ditto the Triton's tiny knobs).

-- Great feature set for playing live -- 16 velocity and aftertouch sensitive pads for triggering samples, arps, phrases or just about any feature on the board; truly integrated and NOT a gimmick; plus they look cool, too). D-Beam is also worth having.

-- Sounds every bit as good -- if not better -- than the Motif or Triton. Although I'll be the first to admit each board has strengths.

Also, although I can't vouch for this just yet, many say the Fantom X has greater rewards for those who like to edit and tweak their patches. I just haven't gotten into this yet as, I admit, the presets are working out just fine for me still; but the list of patch edit menus and paramaters is huge and nearly dumbfounding -- and yet -- still manageable and understandable thanks to the big LCD color screen and logical operating system.

and most importantly ...

-- The "X" Factor. People say you don't see the Fantom X as much -- and they're right! And that's an advantage, IMO, as the Fantom's sounds aren't "out there" as much as the ubiquitous Motif and and Triton. To me, that's a big plus.

(Although recently on some late-night show I saw Stevie Wonder and his backup keyboardist -- who seemed to be doing most of the heavy lifting -- smiling away on a Fantom X7. Made my week. And, of course, most Fantom owners know Madonna's keyboardist used seven Fantom X7s on her last tour.)

I think you see fewer Fantoms because most professional performers tend to use what they're comfortable with, and as far as workstations go, the Fantom lineage doesn't go back that far.

The original Fantom from a few years back -- although it sounded good and used a proven Roland synth engine -- like the Motif and Triton do respectively with their well-established Yami and Korg engines -- didn't have a sampler, which put it out of the running pretty much out of the box. The Fantom S (for "sampler") changed that -- and IS a great board if you can find one used (although Roland never produced a 76 key version, which nixed the used route for me).

And now the X builds on that with its improved patch set, inspirational color screen -- which really DOES make a difference in how much info you can comprehend on one LCD page; more sample ram capacity; 128-note polyphony, and other upgrades ...

Factor in the recent OS update allowing for 8 linear stereo tracks -- which is VERY nice and definitely something over the Motif and Triton, which only has limited "in-track sampling" -- and a host of other improvements. I commend Roland for continuing to improve the X, and I hope it's not the last OS update.

So, unless you have unlimited resources, you'll be lucky to choose one of The Big Three ... although don't leave out the very new Alesis Fusion HD6 and 8, which both feature a 40-gig hard drive -- the only workstation that does -- other than the completely out-of-reach Korg Oasys. I haven't had a chance to audition one yet, but I've read the sounds don't blow you away -- although that's an extremely subjective statement -- but it does tons of features for the lowest price of any workstation -- save for the Fantom Xa, which is a great workstation, too, with an almost identical feature set to the X but with a small, Motif-like green LCD and a not-so-great keyboard with no aftertouch and only 61 keys.

And then there's the Kurzweil workstation - which is supposed to be tremendous -- but it's even more expensive than the others -- and much better, some claim. But others will say it's also the hardest to master -- which isn't always a bad thing, and that relates to the Motif as well. But the K26XXs are more of a mystery to me. Plus, to me, the K's screen is just ridiculously small and inadequate for a modern workstation.

The fact is, these are all terrific instruments and eventually you'll choose the one that will seem to serve your needs, make an emotional connection and take you in new musical directions.

I just don't see how you could go wrong with any of them ...

But for me, it was -- and is -- the Fantom X7, and it amazes me how my "love and admiration" for this board only grows the more I use it.

• Members

Originally posted by Freak Guitar

I need a keyboard...which one would be best for me?

I like the Triton a lot but it doesn't seem to have the more realistic tones I like.

The Fantom is ok.

The Motif has awesome real tones, but I haven't played around with the synth's too much.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Well I can say if you are honestly going for that Progressive/Power metal type synth tone, the Triton wins hands down. Tritons (probably because oif they heavy pads/synth based sounds) are very popular among the metal community. Soilwork, Children of Bodom, Everygrey, Matthew Guillory, Jens Johansson, ... I could create a very long list here.

Archived