Order 'em up- KSS Comp 1

jackpine

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Dave Bryce

I talked to Jackpine this morning - he sez they all went out last week.

Gonna give the leftover $$ to the Bob Moog foundation - hope everyone's cool with that....

dB

Excellent idea. :thu:

After I hear my copy, I'm going to order a few more for various people.

• Members
Originally posted by Allerian

Seriously, you make it sound like you're playing an electric guitar and you're tweaking the crap out of that sound at the same time. How do you do it?

If you meant that first nasty lead sound, that's the Prophet VS stacked on top of the MKS80. Most of the animation comes from the VS, using AT and the MW.

The VS kicks ass... :cool:

dB

• Members

If you meant that first nasty lead sound, that's the Prophet VS stacked on top of the MKS80. Most of the animation comes from the VS, using AT and the MW.

The VS kicks ass...
:cool:

dB

Man I miss the VS. It's just the thing got so gal darn dag nab it hot you could fry an egg on it and I got scared and gassy and sold it. If you guys over at DSI would make a new one with knobs, a huge mod matrix, more waves, FM all over the filters and DCO's, basically give it the evolver treatment, I'd be all over it. The polyvolver looks insane but I love the vectoring and need eight voices under $3,000. Maybe I'll just settle for the Creamware thing, it's not ideal but I guess it's in the niehgborhood.

• Members

Originally posted by The Severalist

The polyvolver looks insane but I love the vectoring and need eight voices under $3,000.

Simply not possible (the eight voices for under $3k, I mean). If we could've, we would've...remember, each voice is basically a discrete Evolver - that stuff costs $.

If you use the sequencer of the Evolver engine creatively, you can sort of get the sound of the vectoring...check out program #8 in bank 1 of the PEK (it's actually called Vectoring).

dB

DSI

• Members

Simply not possible (the eight voices for under $3k, I mean).

dB

DSI

Even if they oscillators are all digital as in the VS? Is $3,000 still to low?

On a related topic, I look at the analog/hybrids, read up on em and see that it's a labor of love mostly and that higher cost is pretty much unavoidable (I'm very glad people are still working on them, even if they tend to be out of my price range, it still improves music in general and gives me something to save up for). My question I guess is, what happened with the A6? In realative terms the things a bargain. Is that an anomaly were not likely to see again? I'm an admitted cheap skate here and I'm just wondering, it's a practical issue for me really.

• Members

I have no idea...however, Dave's already done the VS - I sincerely doubt he'd want to make another one.

My question I guess is, what happened with the A6? In realative terms the things a bargain. Is that an anomaly were not likely to see again? I'm an admitted cheap skate here and I'm just wondering, it's a practical issue for me really.

Andromeda's development costs were able to be offset by the ton of other products that Alesis was making at the time, combined with the fact that they made their own ASICs. I'm guessing that was a lot cheaper than having to buy premade ones....

Also, Andy was (and possibly still is) made in Taiwan, where the PEK is made in California. Plus, Andy was/is made of plastic, where the PEK is made of metal with wood end caps. I believe the blue LEDs cost more than other LEDs, too (at least, they did when we were designing Andy. We looked into it...IIRC, Andy's LEDs were 5 cents a piece, where blue ones were something like 70 cents a piece), but they sure look pretty great.

That stuff all adds up.

But we seem to be drifting off-topic...

dB

• Members

I have no idea...however, Dave's already done the VS - I sincerely doubt he'd want to make another one.

My question I guess is, what happened with the A6? In realative terms the things a bargain. Is that an anomaly were not likely to see again? I'm an admitted cheap skate here and I'm just wondering, it's a practical issue for me really.

Andromeda's development costs were able to be offset by the ton of other products that Alesis was making at the time, combined with the fact that they made their own ASICs. I'm guessing that was a lot cheaper than having to buy the Curtis ones....

Also, Andy was (and possibly still is) made in Taiwan, where the PEK is made in California. Plus, Andy was/is made of plastic, where the PEK is made of metal with wood end caps. I believe the blue LEDs cost more than other LEDs, too (at least, they did when we were designing Andy. We looked into it...IIRC, Andy's LEDs were 5 cents a piece, where blue ones were something like 70 cents a piece), but they sure look pretty great.

That stuff all adds up.

But we seem to be drifting off-topic...

dB

Archived