OH MY GOD! Where was I...

solomon8

• Members

This probably pertains more to a soloist than one playing in a group. The scenerio: You are playing to a large group and playing a piece that you have played over and over and over until you can play it without thinking about it. While playing you start thinking about where you might go for dinner after the concert and who you might invite to go with you. All of a sudden you realize that you haven't forgotten the song you were playing but you forgot where you were in the song. What did you do? Improvise. Run off stage. Start juggling.

What do you think?

Have a happy holiday.

• Members

I did something like that once or twice at piano recitals back when I used to take lessons. :D Of course, in a recital, running out or juggling aren't options. I don't remember what I did do. Probably just started from the last familiar place in the movement or something like that.

• Members

Yes, either boredom or nerves, depending on the situation.

Worst one...first gig with new band, place packed with their friends to hear the "new guy".

Halfway through the first song, the rest of the band stops so I can play the intro to the next section and I ...just stood there for about 4 seconds while I remembered the part with all those eyeballs staring and other band members in various stages of having a stroke...

The longest 4 seconds of my life. A terrible way to start and I was a nervous wreck for the rest of the night.

• Members

I know what you are saying.

You practice until you can play it without thinking, but when you play in front of an audience at some times, in order to avoid the mistake, you will focus on the next thing to play and this is the moment where it will go wrong. Luckily I don't get paid for this yet so I don't have to worry. :)

Happy holidays.

• Members

It happens to me constantly. It used to happen when doing solo piano stuff, mainly recitals for classical training, and there's be a heart wrenching pause full of awkward, before the piece resumed to end properly.

The only thing you can do there is just PLAY THROUGH IT somehow, any way you can, and pay attention so it doesn't happen.

These days I play with bands and it happens a lot, but it tends to be indicative of mood when jamming. If you drift out and stop playing, the other guys pick up and fill until you get a feeling or an idea and start going again.

But I always just improvise, that's my lifesaver now. I used to sit down at a piano/keyboard and feel overwhelmed...akin to standing in front of a stationary freight train...if it rolls at you, you can't stop it. But now a keyboard is like a pen to me, I just pick it up and start writing...so if I lose it momentarily I can find a way these days to blend it in. The key to doing this is familiarity with the structure of the piece, it's rhythm, and whatever key it's in. Most keys I can rebound in, but throw me a Bb minor and you might see me turn red :D

• Members

I've had that happen to me when I play at church, on songs that we do every week, while using sheet music. :mad:

Most of the time when it happens, I'm reading some repeated part from the wrong section of the music, so as long as I find the correct spot before things diverge I'm okay. Once in a while I'll just space out for half a second and lose track of where I was. Usually in this case I'm able to continue from memory (or, possibly, divine intervention :D ) until I refocus. So far I've been lucky in the few times it's happened that I haven't caused a train wreck. Improvising is not an option, so the worst-case scenario is that I would have to stop playing temporarily rather than screw up the choir (who would, hopefully, keep on singing).

-Chris C.

Archived