Prince

wysiwyg

• Members

Listening to some old stuff like

Dirty Mind

Controvery

The early synth work (not the lyrics) that the establishment thought so taboo. . .

I'll never deny being a Prince fan (I saw him in concert in 90)

The guy is a facking genius. Great guitarist, brilliant producer (he MADE sinead o'connor with his song). Morris Day, was "cool" in Purple Rain. Prince was sublime. He still is. With the thread about BT and his "he gets his money for nothing and his chicks for free" thread, the antitheis is Prince. At the height of his fame, he paints "slave" on his forhead and takes on the labels. Then, he changes his name to a symbol to the artist to whatever the {censored}.

If I was your girlfriend still creeps me out 20 years later.

I remember being in clubs in the 80s when Kiss was played.

His career spawned so many.

• Members

Originally posted by 13ghostsofscoobydoo

I used to be a HUGE prince fan. Looking back on things, I now think his VERY early stuff may have been his best. I'm talking pre-1999.

I totally disagree. His last 2 CDs are simply incredible. I personally think he's better today than he ever dreamed of being back in the 90's.

But that's just another example of why I love music sooo much...we all can look at it from different perspectives.

• Members

My cover band does a medley of 1999/Let's Go Crazy that never fails to pack the dancefloor, and of course we can't make it groove the way he did. I think his newer stuff is just as good as his earlier, if not better. His concert DVDs are among my favorites, too.

• Members

Synthwise, Prince was all about the Oberheim... Lots of OBXas and OB-8s in the early days.

Then in the mid-80s he got bitten by the FM bug and then you'd hear DX7 stuff on tunes like "Kiss" (Using the stock Marimba #7 patch, no less). Late 80s he was heavily into Roland gear - "Thieves In The Temple" was all Roland R-8 and D-50.

• Members

I guess we all have moments where we regret not doing or saying something. A little more than a year ago I was with a friend of mine standing outside of a club that prince was in (waiting on a group of girls we were with who had run screaming into the club). Prince came out and went to his limo, passing withing 10ft of us. As soon as the door closed, my friend turns and says "We should have asked him if he wants to playa game of basketball." :idea:

We're both normally real quick with smart ass comments. how could we miss that ioppurtunity. it would hav ebeen classic. :o

• Members

Eons ago I went to a Tower of Power concert in DC that was opened by a then relatively unknown Prince. The crowd absolutely HATED him! I think at that time he looked to them like a Mick Jagger wannabe. A little too wild for the T of P crowd.

Not a bad act but at the time I seriously didn't think he'd become the icon that he is now. Props to Prince, he hung in there and made it.

Then T of P came on with Chester Thompson on the Hammond!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!:eek:

(Squib Cakes- Yum!)

• Members
Originally posted by mate_stubb

I saw Prince on his most recent Musicology tour. Extremely musical, and incredible musicianship. He doesn't perform any of the vulgar sexual stuff live anymore.

Yeah, he's big into the Jehovah's Witnessin' these days.

• Members

Originally posted by Chao

Yeah, he's big into the Jehovah's Witnessin' these days.

He's Knock-knock-knockin' on someone's door...

Actually, you'll know when Prince coems to your door when the door knock sounds like the detuned Linn rimshot sound on "When Doves Cry."

• Members

"Actually, you'll know when Prince comes to your door when the door knock sounds like the detuned Linn rimshot sound on "When Doves Cry.""

Now that's funny.

I'd be prepared to be shortened by a couple of inches to gain half of his skills/talent though.

• Members

Originally posted by Pawnz

So did I (wife's a Prince freak). Smokin' keyboard player. Some South American jazz cat, if I recall correctly.

Renato Neto is the guy. I've seen him live a couple of times with other acts, and he's an amazing player. I actually spoke to him some years back when I was opening for his band, and he's a really nice guy too. All of prince's keyboard players have been absolute monsters, and very personal too! From Dr. Fink on "Head" to Cat Gray, Wendy&Lisa, Morris Hayes and now Renato, they all have different sounds and backgrounds. I really dig Morris Hayes' gospel-tinged sound, the mid-90's band with him and Larry Graham was incredible!

Archived