Band issue...

nolights

• Members

Originally posted by dan88z

This is the kind of BS that kills bands. I laugh when I hear stories of bands that are constantly changing members, or players who have been in 5 bands in the last year. It basically comes down to ego. If people learn to put their ego in their back pocket and look out for the good of the entire project, bands would last. There is always some "up and coming" band that is trying to capture the market that our group has, and we just sit back, the old men on the scene, knowing that they won't last more than a year or 2. It's inevitiable, they break up because someone had a big ego. My drummer commented to me recently, that he's been in so many bands over his 30+ year career as a musician, that we are the ONLY band he's ever been in that has had the same lineup for longer than a year. He's the newest member and has been with us 10 years now- everyone else is the same.

:thu:

Number 1+ band killer. Ego in a bottle. When any member thinks his needs supercede the band's then it's time for an intervention.

One band I was in had a member that was objecting to our summertime gig schedule. He said that booking on Friday and Saturday nights left him little time time to use his water recreational vehicle on the weekends. Not wanting to force his hand out of the band, we replied "well, let us know what dates you can't or won't play and we'll get a replacement player to fill in those slots" Just so happened that a well known local player was interested and available. Shortly there after our bandmate's jetski was for sale and schedule was clear. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by wishfulsinful909

Eh, not too much to be embarrased about. Be glad no punches were thrown. That would be a WHOLE other story.

An argument on stage is better than, say, your lead singer passing out in a drunken stupor midset....true story....

No, actually I'd think that would give your band a sort of "legendary" status - instead of shying away, maybe they'd show up just to see what crazy antics could go on next time... :eek::D Is that what happened, wishfulsinful909?

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

In my current band, we schedule practice twice a month, and a meeting every three months to discuss new material, new venues, setlist stuff, personal issues, gripes... etc. It all sounds very business like, and it is. We keep it that way. We all consider each other as friends inside the band, but the decisons that are made are business decisions, not personal ones. No ones feelings get hurt if we nix a song from a setlist or we decide not to play a certain venue. Decisions are made for the band's interest, not one person's.

Ex-actly how it should be, wg3!! :thu::D

Archived