Klipsch 2.1 speaker hookup

rb293

• Members

I've read a great deal on the Klpisch speakers for use on keyboards and I have decided to buy a set. I was wondering on the hookup of these or any multimedia speaker to a keyboard or digital piano. I recently bought a Sound Motion KP200 amp but I have to say my little Yamaha YSTMS50 speakers sound better. SO I will send the amp back and go with the Klipsch. What will I need to hook these up to my Fantom X8, a P250 and a Motif ES Rack. Thanks for any help you can provide.... I was really dissapointed in the Motion KP200. For that much money it should sound a lot better than it does....

• Members

There are a few things I'd consider here. Are you using this setup live, or is it at home or in a studio? If at home/studio, why not pick up a pair of powered monitors? There are tons of cost effective powered monitors that will sound a LOT better than some MM speakers. Take a look at Tapco, KRK, Alesis, and M-Audio for lower cost but decent sounding powered monitors. This will be your best option in a studio environment. Of course if you want to spend more for much better sound, take a look at Mackie, Adam, Genelec, etc. (My favorites are Mackie HR824s and Adam S3A in this range) For the lower cost monitors, I'd recommend the Tapcos or KRKs. These sound quite nice for the price, and aren't going to be THAT much more than the Klipsch MM speakers. If you're using this stuff live, then you might ask around for opinions on good amps for this. I don't do any live work, so I'm not up on all that. I would definitely steer clear of MM speakers though. They just don't have the accurate response of decent monitors, and they'll color your sound a lot, which will make it difficult to get a good mix.

• Members

I have the 2.1's- they're cool for listening to music but I wouldn't recommend using them on a gig, not even an acoustic (coffeehouse) gig. IMO the're just too delicate, esp. the 1/8th" stereo input. I also like to hear the more ballsy sound of bigger speakers but that's just me.

Please do me a favor and try the Yamaha Stagepas stereo setup- 2 8's, 300 watts, $550 and getting rave reviews.

• Members

Good choice. Your allways better off getting passive speakers of choice and amp of choice imo. Just connect your instruments to mixer, mixer to whatever stereo amp ya want and that to speakers. If the stereo amp dont got level of desired tone controls just add stereo 10-20 band eq. Seen more pro Klipsch & pro JBL speakers in clubs I've really liked then any other brand.

• Members

I've read a great deal on the Klpisch speakers for use on keyboards and I have decided to buy a set.

I definately would not use them as monitors at home. The bass they output is excessive, and the mid is a bit weak. The 1/8 inputs are awfully flakey as they age to say the least.

Your way way better off with a set of studio monitors.

Archived